BBC Comedy College Page 39

Quote: Starscream @ April 23 2008, 11:09 AM BST

We had an email from Micheal yesterday. Gutted, and yet happy to have been fairly close. But mostly gutted.

Well done! Out of 1300 submissions to be in the top 100 or so is pretty impressive! I assume this will run again next year so that's something to aim for now.

As for the reading of submissions - who knows whether it has been rushed or not, but whatever the case I'm very impressed they're reading them all full stop! That's a lot of submissions.

Quote: bushbaby @ April 23 2008, 12:16 PM BST

Well, Nubbit, that is excellent, you obviously came in the 40 but not in the shortlist 20 and that seems to be closer than anyone else got on here.
The also rans will be told next week, no doubt, that's if the Beeb are bothering to inform the rest

I think the implication is it's people who were just outside the 40 actually, given the one letter we've seen above.

This is on Writersdock

MichealJacob
Prize Writer

Medals: 0

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were reading them as they came in, not saving them all up!

From the BBC blog

"I and a colleague read all the entries, and have produced a long-list of forty. Two colleagues are now reading the forty to come up with a shorter long-list (a top 20), which will be read by senior colleagues in the comedy department. All being well, they will get their reading pile by the end of the week. Guided by them - and optimistically hoping for consensus - we will then have a list of people to invite for interview.

All of the 40 have something special to offer."

Have I got this right? Forty short listed, rest emailed or to be emailed to be informed they didn't make the forty.

Then by the end of this week, twenty 'close but no BBCigar' entries emailed, then last twenty passed to senior colleagues to select final group to be interviewed?

Just to clarify - I'm only emailing people who genuinely nearly made the final 40. To do otherwise would be pointless, as well as giving me RSI.

Well done Antrax, Starscream and everyone else who got a reply!

Yep well done.

Oh congratulate me too then, I 'nearly' made it...*gazes out to sea*

well done Willie

Huge congratulations to everyone who's got a "nearly made it" email!!

That puts you somewhere around the top 5-10% of applicants (depending how many MJ sent out, obviously), which was presumably most of the aspiring comedy writers in the UK.

Something to be extremely proud of.

Quote: Griff @ April 23 2008, 1:48 PM BST

Huge congratulations to everyone who's got a "nearly made it" email!!

That puts you somewhere around the top 5-10% of applicants (depending how many MJ sent out, obviously), which was presumably most of the aspiring comedy writers in the UK.

Something to be extremely proud of.

I think so too Griff. It would be good if those 'chosen' could put up their scripts to give us an idea where the rest of us are 'going wrong'

A starter for ten.

Good luck to those that applied. I wish I did but having written for only two radio shows I saw a lot of people with more credits and time then ran-out. I'll definitely apply next year if there is one and I haven't yet won a BAFTA.

But remember our scripts only 'nearly' made it. They still failed to make the grade.

So, what is happening with the people who applied but have yet to get an e-mail? Because after reading all of this I'm confused. *shakes head*