Has anyone ever considered moving to America? Page 3

Quote: David Chapman @ April 21 2008, 10:36 PM BST

With the emphasis being on Common!

Laughing out loud Burn! I blame myself for that one. I should have just taken the complement and ran.

Quote: Curt @ April 21 2008, 10:23 PM BST

We are the big country with the small population and hey...we're still Commonwealth :)

It's being part of the Commonwealth is the only bit that puts me off. Perhaps me and the Chapmeister can run away to Canada together and have a great big gay 'Brokeback Mountain' wedding in the Rockies (or the Rollies).

Quote: roscoff @ April 21 2008, 10:54 PM BST

It's being part of the commonwealth is the only bit that puts me off. Perhaps me and the Chapmeister can run away to Canada together and have a great big gay 'Brokeback Mountain' wedding in the Rockies (or the Rollies).

Ooh yes please.

But don't tell anyone - especially Charley.

Quote: roscoff @ April 21 2008, 10:54 PM BST

It's being part of the commonwealth is the only bit that puts me off. Perhaps me and the Chapmeister can run away to Canada together and have a great big gay 'Brokeback Mountain' wedding in the Rockies (or the Rollies).

Laughing out loud Bestiality is still illegal guys sorry, even if the Bear can talk.

Quote: Curt @ April 21 2008, 9:49 PM BST

I love being in Texas, and most of them are really nice people BUT for a Northerner their humidity is unbearable in the summer! They don't breath air, they drink it.

It depends which part of this large (268601 square miles) state you're talking about. Coastal cities like Houston can be very humid in the summer, but here in San Antonio it's not at all oppressive. I've only lived here for 18 months, but I've yet to experience a terribly humid day. I lived in Florida for 30 years, so I know a thing or three about oppressive humidity.

Quote: Curt @ April 21 2008, 10:23 PM BST

We are the big country with the small population and hey...we're still Commonwealth :)

Seriously, I'd love to visit Canada, I've wanted to do that for a very long time. There are some truly breath-taking landscapes in your country.

America though, I would be shit scared of getting shot. Having barely any gun crime, having policemen that don't carry guns is one of the things I am most proud about this country.

Quote: ian_w @ April 22 2008, 12:47 AM BST

Seriously, I'd love to visit Canada, I've wanted to do that for a very long time. There are some truly breath-taking landscapes in your country.

America though, I would be shit scared of getting shot. Having barely any gun crime, having policemen that don't carry guns is one of the things I am most proud about this country.

Yeah, but you can't help feeling sorry for our Police, when you hear about them being beaten up, or even shot.

Quote: ian_w @ April 22 2008, 12:47 AM BST

America though, I would be shit scared of getting shot.

The idea that random gun crime is rampant in the United States is wildly exaggerated. I don't want this discussion to head in the wrong direction, but if you're not a poor, urban, minority individual involved in the drug trade or a violent street gang then you're probably more likely to be struck by lightning than to be murdered by a handgun. I've read that 50% of all murder victims were involved in an intimate relationship with their murderer, so you might want to treat the wife/girlfriend kindly while you're refraining from selling drugs and gang banging. ;)

In my 45 years in the US I've known 2 people who have been shot. One was a dumb kid who robbed a liquor store and then managed to shoot himself in the leg (karma!) while hiding his pistol under the seat of the getaway car. The other was a friend of my son who was slightly wounded by a ricochet while undergoing live fire training at Marine Corps basic training.

Quote: DaButt @ April 22 2008, 2:06 AM BST

The idea that random gun crime is rampant in the United States is wildly exaggerated. I don't want this discussion to head in the wrong direction, but if you're not a poor, urban, minority individual involved in the drug trade or a violent street gang then you're probably more likely to be struck by lightning than to be murdered by a handgun. I've read that 50% of all murder victims were involved in an intimate relationship with their murderer, so you might want to treat the wife/girlfriend kindly while you're refraining from selling drugs and gang banging. ;)

In my 45 years in the US I've known 2 people who have been shot. One was a dumb kid who robbed a liquor store and then managed to shoot himself in the leg (karma!) while hiding his pistol under the seat of the getaway car. The other was a friend of my son who was slightly wounded by a ricochet while undergoing live fire training at Marine Corps basic training.

Saw nothing untoward during my stay, I agree with you its totally exaggerated.

I find that when I visit the smaller towns, that's when you hear gun shots, especially at night. And that is not exaggerating especially the northern states like New Hampshire and Wisconsin.
And you have to keep in mind just across the boarder in Canada we have more guns per capita with a substantially lower rate of shooting deaths. I think that says a lot right there about their gun laws.
Although I do feel pretty safe walking down most streets in the US, just not always at night.

Quote: Curt @ April 22 2008, 11:16 AM BST

I find that when I visit the smaller towns, that's when you hear gun shots, especially at night. And that is not exaggerating especially the northern states like New Hampshire and Wisconsin.
And you have to keep in mind just across the boarder in Canada we have more guns per capita with a substantially lower rate of shooting deaths. I think that says a lot right there about their gun laws.

That's 'cos you don't have jumped up preconceptions of your national importance and standing. You're a realistic, down-to-earth peoples without any such delusions of grandeur. ;)

You'll get fat.

I was reading Maclaine's Magazine yesterday (Canada's version of Times) and there was a 10 page story on "Is Canada a nation or a notion" with a debate between two scholars. I was a bit saddened reading it. :(

Quote: Wildjesusfishkid @ April 22 2008, 11:25 AM BST

You'll get fat.

Laughing out loud that also.

Quote: Curt @ April 22 2008, 11:29 AM BST

I was reading Maclaine's Magazine yesterday (Canada's version of Times) and there was a 10 page story on "Is Canada a nation or a notion" with a debate between two scholars. I was a bit saddened reading it. :(

There's a lot of wankers out there who believe weird things about nations and regions and specific groups of people and so on.

And you have to keep in mind just across the boarder in Canada we have more guns per capita with a substantially lower rate of shooting deaths. [/quote]

Curt, maybe Canadians aren't very good at shooting?