What are you reading right now? Page 247

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 1st November 2023, 6:21 PM

Steve Jones' autobiography part 763379: In-depth, previously unearthed meta-analysis of the socio-economic, political and psychological upheaval triggering arguably the most influential, controversial subculture of the last half-century: 'F**k, it was f**king shit. It was really f**king shit. It was f**king shit and I just wanted to get f**king pissed and f**king shagged. F**k, it was f**king shit.'

Is he a friend of yours?

In the Facebook sense.

Steve Jones' autobiography part 763379: In-depth, previously unearthed meta-analysis of the socio-economic, political and psychological upheaval triggering arguably the most influential, controversial subculture of the last half-century: 'F**k, it was f**king shit. It was really f**king shit. It was f**king shit and I just wanted to get f**king pissed and f**king shagged. F**k, it was f**king shit.'

You weren't wrong

To sum up , he was in every sense a thieving wanker

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th November 2023, 3:26 PM

To sum up , he was in every sense a thieving wanker

But he's mellowed out and become a kind, considerate old man.

Steve Jones' autobiography

Used to play for Wimbledon. No idea he'd written an autobiography though. I'll have to see if I can get hold of it

Quote: DaButt @ 29th November 2023, 4:30 PM

But he's mellowed out and become a kind, considerate old man.

That's not very punk rock! ☠️

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th November 2023, 5:47 PM

That's not very punk rock! ☠️

He still posts trouserless acoustic songs from his bathroom, so the anarchic spirit hasn't completely left him.

His Jonesy's Jukebox radio show in the early 2000s is still some of the best radio I've ever heard. I'm shocked that SiriusXM/Apple/Spotify/BBC haven't picked him up as a full-time DJ.

You cannot be sirius.

I preferred Lydon's bio cos his post-Pistol career was strong and he's slightly more articulate.
It's amazing how the only band to Mean It, Man are now a national treasure, but it was bound to happen. I genuinely laughed when one of the broadshits reviewed Steve's tale of theft, drugs and bonking, and called it 'A delight'.

'Lydon fell out with McLaren when the latter chose Russ Meyer to direct the film. He wrote a long letter saying Meyer's work was 'infantile, artistically inept and an affront to female dignity and male intelligence.' McLaren replied that he was actually 'a gentleman, a true professional and in his own way just as radical as the band.' All I knew was, c**t made movies about girls with big tits, which sounded great to me.'

Stack of books as usual for Christmas.
Just finished Bob Mortimer's The Satsuma Complex.
Very funny.
Very Bob.
Highly recommended.

That is on my wishlist but read mixed reviews

The Giles Annual 2024 and Joan Le Mesurier's Lady Don't Fall Backwards.

Garth Marenghi (Matthew Holness) - 'Incarcerat'. Very good so far. Like the previous book 'Terrortome', an affectionate comedic (yet written deadpan, in character) send-up of those old lurid pulp horror novels from the 70s and 80s.

The Godfather (Mario Puzo)
Excellent read with additional side stories.

One snippet that will tickle writers here.

Mario Puzo, the author of the Godfather books who'd also adapted them to film, had no idea what he was doing as he'd never written a screenplay before.

After winning two Oscars, he decided to buy a book on screenwriting to learn how. In the first chapter, it said "Study Godfather."

Slow Horses
The novel that's recently been turned into a TV series
Thought I'd try the books as well