I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,732

Quote: Chappers @ 29th December 2023, 10:08 PM

What has Diving got to do with it?

One of the less successful Tina Turner songs...

New year, same old Tory lies

Not managed to successfully complete one of your pledges to the country? No problems, just lie through your f**king teeth and hope nobody notices

"Rishi Sunak's claim that ministers have "cleared" the asylum backlog is being investigated by the official statistics watchdog after allegations it is a "barefaced lie".

The UK Statistics Authority is looking into the Government's announcement that it has cleared a "legacy" backlog of applications, after figures showed more than 4,500 of these are still waiting an initial decision.

Nearly 100,000 asylum seekers are still waiting for an initial decision despite Tory brags of clearing the backlog. Latest Home Office figures show the UK's backlog stood at a massive 98,599 at the end of 2023 - 16 times higher than when the Conservatives took power and up from 91,076 in November.

Home Secretary James Cleverly also faces uncomfortable questions about more than 17,000 people who vanished after withdrawing their applications. He was also forced to admit that officials don't know where people who withdraw applications go - but vowed to "go looking for them"

Easy. Just send them all to Rwanda like the United Nations does.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th January 2024, 9:40 AM

Easy. Just send them all to Rwanda like the United Nations does.

A temporary scheme to evacuate vulnerable refuges from Libya.
Not a permanent abrogation of our international commitments.

You're conveniently sidestepping the main point that their action confirms it is a safe place for people to go and therefore legitimises UK's asylum policy. Strange how the UN can choose the same place to send refugees to and not get millions of lefties going hysterical at them while the UK does. And what with all the other countries they could have chosen. Morning.

It is the Rwandans asylum system that is considered unsafe.
Not the country (though I wouldn't go there for a holiday)
The British courts decision ruled the following (excuse cut and paste)...
1. Asylum interviews are conducted in a brief and perfunctory manner, which could prevent a person from being able to fully explain their case
2. Rwanda's committee to determine refugee status does not allow lawyers to make arguments on behalf of a person, to help explain why they should be granted asylum.
3. Local non-governmental organisations do not have capacity to provide asylum seekers with legal assistance throughout the process;
4. Rwandan officials deciding applications do not have sufficient skill and experience to make reliable decisions, partly due to a lack of effective training
5. Judges in Rwanda may be susceptible to political influence and reluctant to overturn decisions not to grant asylum.

Refugees held in detention camps in Libya under awful conditions were essentially re-housed in Rwanda, by the UN, to avert a humanitarian crisis.
It was not - as this govt proposes - an off-shoring of the asylum process to a country that has proven itself not to be up to the task.

The problem is, you see a lot of these so-called refugees acting like animals, raping, killing and slashing.
There are videos every day of these evil acts.
Just like the massacre on Oct 7th - the issue is glossed over by certain mindsets.
People in the UK are frightened and dare not walk the streets in some big cities.
They fear there is an army being slowly mobilised by stealth - and nobody is able to stop it.
It's not prejudice or national pride, it's fear.

No actually that's bollocks

Oh no, my argument shot down by a succinct counter.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th January 2024, 11:00 AM

The problem is, you see a lot of these so-called refugees acting like animals, raping, killing and slashing.
There are videos every day of these evil acts.
Just like the massacre on Oct 7th - the issue is glossed over by certain mindsets.
People in the UK are frightened and dare not walk the streets in some big cities.
They fear there is an army being slowly mobilised by stealth - and nobody is able to stop it.
It's not prejudice or national pride, it's fear.

I admire your honesty, but fear promotes "fight or flight" , black and white thinking, i.e. prejudicial thinking. I can understand why the Met Police or A&E Drs need to think at speed, but the Met Police failed momentously on Equality. Using "false fear" to manipulate voters in the way Braveman or Trump have, is surely the real issue ?

I've never personally seen "raping, killing and slashing" in the UK, have you ?

As I said earlier - glossed over, or blinkered.

It suits certain faction to stir up fear - especially of 'foreigners'
To imagine there is not some ulterior motive in the promotion of this fear is, I'm afraid, the most blinkered position of all.
There have always been parts of big cities that one tries to avoid at night.
Both my daughters have been seriously - I mean seriously - attacked.
Both times by white British men.
They are not cowering in their homes watching GB News from behind the sofa, though.

Even if its true , this current government has had nearly 14 years to address this 'situation'

After 14 years of tory rule , the "people dare not walk the streets..." ?

So clearly another in a long list of epic failures then?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th January 2024, 12:31 PM

As I said earlier - glossed over, or blinkered.

You've glossed over my yes/no questions with "As I said earlier" which avoids the truth and discussion. London being voted one of the top 10 safest cities to visit based on evidence from trusted sources, does ring true, imo.

Oh look who's all coming out of the woodwork again to tell me I'm wrong.