I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,704

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st November 2023, 5:04 PM

But kids that age - especially lads - think they're invincible.

Very sad news :(

As you say, the invincibility of youth. At that age in the late 60's we were tearing about on 250cc motorbikes with no training. I had a black tie that I didn't bother putting away for a couple of months.

Quote: fasty @ 22nd November 2023, 5:49 AM

As you say, the invincibility of youth. At that age in the late 60's we were tearing about on 250cc motorbikes with no training. .

Ditto (early 60s for me - when there was far less traffic!) - we never gave it thought. Why would you spoil the thrill 😎

I had a Yammy 50 then a 125cc. The throttle to me had 2 positions. Off and fully open.
Now it's fast cars for the youths.
The spec for the car I own says max speed 140 mph.

I've currently got a 900cc bike for days round the Cotswolds or Welsh Border on my own at legal-ish speeds. And a little diesel Nissan for running around which is averaging about 65mpg. Nice to be able to stay dry, listen to old comedy shows off the USB and have a ciggy without having to stop and undress :)

Quote: fasty @ 22nd November 2023, 9:14 AM

I've currently got a 900cc bike for days round the Cotswolds or Welsh Border on my own at legal-ish speeds.

Er, not for me, so the best of luck, which brings me on to the fact that I still have a full licence to ride a motorbike, even though I haven't ridden one since the mid 1960s, which seems insane to me that I can go out and buy the most powerful of motor bikes and kill myself or someone else.

No compulsory helmets in those days or decent protective gear either. My first bike was a 250 Matchless bought off a mate and come my 16th birthday, a few days after Christmas, I wrapped 'L' plates round the forks and set off up the street in a light snow shower. Got to the main road and learned how to stop :)

Hunt's Autumn Statement appears to be doubling down on penalising the down and out. I honestly think they've underestimated the amount of empathy British people have. RIP the Cons.

RIP? No peace for the wicked!

Lots of hand outs too

Which suggests an early election next year

Cos that's how you run the economy- cuts taxes etc to try to win votes, not because it's the sensible and correct course of action

True. But I was shocked to hear Sunak said "let them die" another nail in their coffin.

He also said that he had run his Eat out to help out scheme passed the scientists before going ahead

Bollocks, apparently

They first heard about it on the news like we all did

Probably because they would have told him the obvious- it's a f**king stupid idiotic idea

But not as stupid and idiotic as locking everyone down in the first place. And I don't think they made it compulsory to "eat out to help out". As adults we were quite able to decline if we felt it inappropriate.

No it sent out the message that it was perfectly fine to mingle in public during a virus pandemic

Unbelievably f**king stupid

It may not have been compulsory but given it was done without consultation, it cost an awful lot of lives and that is indefensible for an elected official of any stripe.

What! They are cutting taxes and NI and raising pensions - the bastards.