Detectorists - Series 1 Page 6

I'm on a rewatch of this really lovely and funny series. I wanted to do so before watching the Christmas special as it's been a few years since I watched any Detectorists.

I am reminded by how much of a slightly nasty girlfriend of Andy.

What does he see in her? Yes, she's a smart woman and attractive. He is a weedy kind of guy and there is that stereotype that weedy men do like to be somewhat dominated (I think!). Not speaking from experience! (He would say that...)
Anyway - did the actress play her role well? Was she meant to be unlikable?

Did have a better post written but pressed the wrong thing and lost it. So to be brief yes, ive long thought she looked miscast for the part. Her acting looked too heavy for the part to me, like she was acting in King Lear instead of a light and gentle comdram.

PS don't read the the xmas special thread before you've seen it, as at least my post has spoilers.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 2nd January 2023, 1:21 PM

I'm on a rewatch of this really lovely and funny series. I wanted to do so before watching the Christmas special as it's been a few years since I watched any Detectorists.

I am reminded by how much of a slightly nasty girlfriend of Andy.

What does he see in her? Yes, she's a smart woman and attractive. He is a weedy kind of guy and there is that stereotype that weedy men do like to be somewhat dominated (I think!). Not speaking from experience! (He would say that...)
Anyway - did the actress play her role well? Was she meant to be unlikable?

Yes I can't fathom how in even a parallel universe how a woman like her would never be with a bloke like him?

Quote: gb901 @ 6th March 2023, 10:32 PM

Yes I can't fathom how in even a parallel universe how a woman like her would never be with a bloke like him?

Maybe it's his foot-long cock.

Quote: Aaron @ 9th March 2023, 8:16 PM

Maybe it's his foot-long cock.

I say! Steady on old boy - think of the ladies present, or maybe.............

Quote: gb901 @ 6th March 2023, 10:32 PM

I've just bingewatched Series 1 again and have to agree with you, I don't believe them as a real couple, especially when she's always moaning at him. I can only imagine Crooks wrote it that way to get the conflict needed in the template, but posh birds tend not to have kids with out of work agency cleaners/odd jobbers in any world I've lived in.

And she'd have definitely kicked him out after his closeness with the younger (and nicer) woman.

As a director he gets the tone of the series spot on and excels with the visuals, but I think he's overwritten it a bit, it's got a real life tone with some very unlikely threads in it as if he's trying too hard to make it quirky.

I read the script of the first episode, it's a joy, so light and funny it floats.

We're re-watching the series and find it as funny the second time around, however, both my wife and I have a memory of one of the very early programmes (or so we thought) of the detectorists searching a field when a group of walkers pass them. It was when we thought they first used the line of "Are you metal detectors?" and a very curse reply of "No, we're metal detectorists!" My recollection is that they may have been in a field of crops - perhaps something like maize, when the walkers come past - probably at least one asks if they are metal detectors. Does anyone else know what we're talking about, and if it isn't the first series, when is it? Thanks, - we've been married a long time but surely we can't be dreaming up the same incorrect scenes?
Thanks

Quote: Bignick58 @ 2nd April 2023, 3:54 PM

We're re-watching the series and find it as funny the second time around, however, both my wife and I have a memory of one of the very early programmes (or so we thought) of the detectorists searching a field when a group of walkers pass them. It was when we thought they first used the line of "Are you metal detectors?" and a very curse reply of "No, we're metal detectorists!" My recollection is that they may have been in a field of crops - perhaps something like maize, when the walkers come past - probably at least one asks if they are metal detectors. Does anyone else know what we're talking about, and if it isn't the first series, when is it? Thanks, - we've been married a long time but surely we can't be dreaming up the same incorrect scenes?
Thanks

Yeah, you're not imagining the scenes! Lance getting exasperated with ramblers happens. Might be Series 3 though.