Detectorists - Series 1 Page 2

Maybe I am little old fashioned, but I like my comedies to make me laugh, this failed miserably. It may be well written well acted, good characters etc but bottom line I did not laugh once.

Will try and catch the 2nd episode and hopefully it may be better, but don't hold out much hope.

Still we can't all like the same thing

It could well be that you have to be part of it to understand the moods, the wordings and the effects metal detecting has on us, myself included.
Yes we are geeks of a sort just like those train spotters in railway stations and those twitters, bird spotters.
Whatever, the programme will not appeal to all but those that understand. Yes we are the minority we enjoyed it.
Metal detecting forums we are all talking about this programme and as such it has put the hobby of metal detecting in good light for once....

I don't think you should compare yourselves to train spotters but all their hobby is is seeing things whereas you could strike gold.

Maybe so Chappers, but train spotters may locate that Holy Grail of all trains.
The Ghost Train....
;)

Funnily enough I do go birdwatching and do regularly meet fellow birdwatchers and yes there is a camraderie between us. So I do understand that there is a certain vibe with groups of a particular hobby.

Maybe the comedy was too subtle.

This is pretty boring really, unfortunately.

Loved the second episode with Bunny from the Boosh and as a Tractor Boy I was especially excited to hear Portman Road get a namecheck.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 12th October 2014, 1:59 PM BST

Loved the second episode with Bunny from the Boosh and as a Tractor Boy I was especially excited to hear Portman Road get a namecheck.

Had a mention on Pointless as well this last week.

I'm still cracking up about the scene in episode two where Andy goes to ask Mr Bishop (Larry) if he could refuse anyone else permission to detect...

Andy: "It's just that there's a contigency of...rogue detectorists out there."

Larry: "Rogues??"

Andy: "Treasure hunters. They'll come under the cover of night, and rob important sites of their artefacts."

Larry: "Gooood God!!"

I thought I'd give it a whirl and it's on series record now. Lopes along gently with lots of chuckles rather than belly laughs but no poorer for that. English 'anoraks' at their best.

Rather similar to the walking club series a while back with Mark Heap and Katherine Parkinson.

Quote: fasty @ 13th October 2014, 8:01 AM BST

Rather similar to the walking club series a while back with Mark Heap and Katherine Parkinson.

I thought that show suffered as a result of ill-advised attempts to broaden the comedy. This show knows what it is doing and is sticking to it.

Good point

Really enjoying this so far. Very well done.

Quote: fasty @ 13th October 2014, 8:01 AM BST

That's exactly the vibe I got from it - lots of passive/aggressive humour set against the backdrop of England's green & pleasant.

Thank goodness for iPlayer. Forgot it was on and have just caught up with last Thursday's episode. I really like the show, it's a winner for me.