Hancock's Half Hour Page 23

Splendid. Really wonderful. Brilliant new (ish) episode. May the rest be quickly discovered!

Saving this for tomorrow morning when I have 30 minutes of absolute silence to enjoy it.

Umm, it was OK. I find these early ones with Moira Lister sound as though they are still finding their feet, but was certainly saved by the presence of Peter Sellers. The paper plane skit was very funny.

Where can you listen to this?

Quote: lofthouse @ 19th October 2022, 8:15 PM

BBC Sounds. I haven't got round to listening to it myself yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001d5k5

Was fantastic to hear something not heard for the best part of 70 years. Here's hoping that they can find some more.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th October 2022, 11:23 PM

Umm, it was OK. I find these early ones with Moira Lister sound as though they are still finding their feet, but was certainly saved by the presence of Peter Sellers. The paper plane skit was very funny.

I agree.But any Hancock is better than no Hancock.I thought it bucked up a bit with Sid.And that Tony/ Alan patter doesn't work for me.

Quote: WasMrApollo @ 20th October 2022, 3:33 AM

I agree.But any Hancock is better than no Hancock.I thought it bucked up a bit with Sid.And that Tony/ Alan patter doesn't work for me.

Absolutely, and the tête-à-tête with The Lad and script writer, that I've heard in a number of episodes, just doesn't work, owing to Alan's wooden performance. Fantastic writers should never appear in their own work, if that's the best they can do.

Watched The Economy Drive (very timely), after an old work college reminded me of how we had it pretty well on a loop in the office one time.
An absolute Masterclass - and possibly my favourite episode

My favourite bit from The Economy Drive...................

After discussing with Sid as to why the little disc in the meter was going around like a Catherine Wheel......**(Sid had turned the electric fire off, while Tony was out of the room)
"The washing machine was still going and all the water has long since evaporated and what has happened to the shirts we shall never know..........all I could hear was 6 buttons and a collar stud clanking about". ?

** 3 bars at a penny a bar an hour - 3d an hour for 3 Kw!! I wish.

"400 for 1/9, boy...Mind, you get through a lot of them"
And of course the whole restaurant sequence.

Quote: Aaron @ 29th September 2022, 9:34 PM

A lost episode from the first radio series - co-starring Peter Sellers in the Kenneth Williams role - has been found!

The Marriage Bureau will be on Radio 4 next month.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/news/7023/lost-hancocks-half-hour-episode-found/

Just listening to it now. And it's exactly the same episode as broadcast yesterday in the weekly Wednesday 8am Radio 4 extra slot (in this case under the "missing Hancocks" banner with Kevin McNally playing the lad himself). A bit silly broadcasting both on consecutive days. Interesting to hear Peter Sellers in the part though.

Quote: Aaron @ 19th October 2022, 9:47 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001d5k5

Cheers Aaron

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th October 2022, 8:53 PM

BBC Sounds.

Quote: lofthouse @ 20th October 2022, 9:24 PM

Cheers Aaron

You're welcome ?