Have I Got News For You - Series 64 Page 3

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 10th September 2022, 4:17 PM

So he's not very clever? Hence your sarcasm. But he's also much too clever? As in "such a smart arse?"

My opinion exactly.

Duff episode last night IMO. I used to be rather indifferent to Ayoade hosting, but it just seems, perhaps conflated in with the general sense of flatness, dullness, and tiredness I got from the show as a whole, he's just not really a good fit to helm the show anymore (he wasn't much better in the episode after the 2020 US election). Perhaps it's just me, as there were plenty on Twitter praising him, but I just think he's too dry to cope with the weariness the format seems to be undergoing. Mick Lynch, IMO, had the misfortune to be on during a week where the news stories discussed weren't really in his wheelhouse to deal with; they probably booked him intending for one of the major things they brought up to be the strikes, but as we know, they were cancelled in light of the Queen's death. Yes, it's possible they make more use of him in the extended edition, but if all the best stuff was in the half-hour version...

I also hope they manage to get the *full* studio audience back soon, as without it it feels like the atmosphere's been ripped from the show. Then again, it's entirely possible it comes back strong next week (watching Family Guy, for instance, that seems to be the case these days; a poor episode one week, back on form the next). Alternatively, it could just be that things are just too serious at the moment to make jokes about them that don't reflect the severity of things and depress us again!

Haven't been keen on Ayoade for a number of years now, and can't put my finger on what it is he is lacking - mundane? Pedestrian?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th September 2022, 3:02 PM

Haven't been keen on Ayoade for a number of years now, and can't put my finger on what it is he is lacking - mundane? Pedestrian?

HSBC adverts?

Quote: Chappers @ 25th September 2022, 10:29 PM

HSBC adverts?

Wha?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th September 2022, 11:59 PM

Wha?

Richard Ayaode does some annoying adverts for HSBC. There's one now where he's talking about borders and stuff and there was one a while ago where he said "We are not an island!". Yes we bloody are. Hasn't he looked at an Atlas or a map?

Oh

I actually quite liked Ayoade this week, and found myself wondering whether he'd be a good permanent host. The guest host shtick is incredibly tiresome.

Also, I think there is a full studio audience back now.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th September 2022, 9:40 PM

.................found myself wondering whether he'd be a good permanent host.

OMG - NO!! There are loads who would be far better than him.

Also, I think there is a full studio audience back now.

Railway workers?

I actually quite liked Ayoade this week, and found myself wondering whether he'd be a good permanent host. The guest host shtick is incredibly tiresome.

I just looked it up, and the guest host thing has been going since 2002, so the show's had guest hosts for much longer than it had Angus Deayton originally in the role! Dunno if it's worth them bothering with a full-time host now after 20 years?

It's been so long now they could probably bring Angus back.

Quote: Will Cam @ 28th September 2022, 9:42 PM

It's been so long now they could probably bring Angus back.

He's in a BBC radio sitcom after all.

It's been so long I can't even remember why they dropped Angus now. I'm scared to google, but I shall assume it was something to do with ladies of the night.

Yes, and drugs I seem to remember?