I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,452

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th August 2022, 7:01 PM

President Joe Biden's approval rating in the past month has skyrocketed, jumping six points after massive successes in getting his legislative agenda passed. At 44%,

Boris has gone from 62% May 2020 "Get Brexit done" to 23% July 2022, now we've Brexited.

So, on checking my bank account, I find I did actually receive the £150 energy allowance via the local council back in April, and believe the Winter Fuel Allowance is £400 (?) this year, along with other goodies yet to be announced, and I will be adjusting my thermostat's time and temperature to also compensate.
And as I've said before, I really don't know how some people are going to survive this winter - it's a horror story.

BUT, it was brought to my attention in the local news, last night, the fate some local businesses are facing. A lady who runs a local bakery, said her current energy bill was £1,000 a month (WTF) and it was going up to £3,000 a month (Double, no, triple WTF!!!).

There doesn't seem to be any help on offer as yet for small self-employed people/businesses, and I fear we will see many of them go to the wall. So tragic, especially after all that Covid shit.

How people could be so gullible to vote for a bunch of crooks who are so transparently on the side of the companies busy ripping us off and polluting our rivers and beaches, is beyond me.

Executives from Ofwat routinely leave for jobs on the boards of water companies, for example...

I think people are slowly becoming more aware of how unbalanced & unfair the system is.
Covid, human sewage washing up on our beaches and now this crisis have opened a few eyes.
We're in a situation where ⅔ of Tories favour at least temporary nationalisation.
Way back in 2018 a similar proportion of the country backed nationalising railways.
God knows what that figure would be now
Personally, I think Starmer is behind the curve on this - far too lily-livered, when he could be pushing at an open door.
Millionaires telling us we're all going to have to tighten our belts wears thin pretty quick.

There's only one solution- the poll tax solution

If people can't and won't pay their energy bills - they have to take to the streets and f**king riot

If people just sit back and take it and do nothing- this government won't give a toss

Quote: lofthouse @ 27th August 2022, 11:29 AM

If people can't and won't pay their energy bills - they have to take to the streets and f**king riot

And have towns and cities torched - oh yeah, that sounds a great idea.

Quote: lofthouse @ 27th August 2022, 11:29 AM

There's only one solution- the poll tax solution

If people just sit back and take it and do nothing- this government won't give a toss

With the best will in the world, the riots and the "Can't pay: Won't Pay" campaign didn't change much.
The Community Charge was brought in regardless
Thatcher was bought down - many months later - by divisions in her own party over, guess what - the EU.
John Major just morphed the Poll Tax into the Council Tax once he was in.

There should be riots in the street, I'll hold their coats.

Liz Truss has claimed almost £5,000 in expenses for her gas and electricity bills over the last five years. But Ms Truss has said she will not offer "handouts" to those who can't afford to put the heating on.

The Foreign Secretary, who is the bookies' favourite to become the next Prime Minister, claimed £4,817 on energy bills over the five-year period, according to The Mirror. The claim was made for her second home in Thetford, Norfolk.

2022: unmanned rocket to the moon that is already years behind schedule fails to launch today as its 'leaking'

1969: a manned rocket flies to the moon and it lands successfully .... bollocks!

You'll be pleased to know that this year's "Storm Names" are out!
And here they are, in alphabetical order and with a handy pronunciation guide.

Antoni
Betty
Cillian
(kill-ee-an)
Daisy
Elliot
Fleur
Glen
Hendrika
(hen-dree-ka)
Íde
(ee-da)
Johanna
(yo-hah-na)
Khalid
Loes
(l-oo-s)
Mark
Nelly
Owain
(oh-wine)
Priya
Ruadhán
(ru-awe-on)
Sam
Tobias
Val
Wouter
(vow-ter)

Personally I can't wait to shout "Ooh, Betty!" as my roof-tiles go sailing off into the sunset.

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th August 2022, 7:02 PM

2022: unmanned rocket to the moon that is already years behind schedule fails to launch today as its 'leaking'

1969: a manned rocket flies to the moon and it lands successfully .... bollocks!

How did I know you'd be a moon landing denier.
Says everything.

After weeks of luxury holidays, Boris is back.
And he's found a way out the energy crisis.
Buy a new kettle and it can save you ten pounds a year!

Or if you put the new kettle on your expenses - the British public can pay for it

Even better

Can this douche bag just shut the hell up and piss off already

The chairman of Russian oil giant Lukoil, who along with his company had criticized the Ukraine invasion, reportedly died Thursday after falling from the sixth-floor window of a hospital in Moscow.

Ravil Maganov died in what sources are calling a possible suicide after his body was found on the ground of Moscow's elite Central Clinical Hospital, according to Russian news reports.

A statement from Lukoil said Maganov "passed away after a severe illness," but did not give any further information.

Yes that's 'fell'

As in he 'fell' as he was being dangled out of the window by the ankles , by kgb agents

Fell