The Office: An American Workplace Page 30

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 13th February 2016, 1:32 AM GMT

I especially like how ridiculous it can be while still maintaining a fairly ordinary world

This was actually the element I disliked. I prefer stuff that's totally off-the-wall (Young Ones) or almost believable (Porridge). The US Office lost contact with reality on several occasions - compare Dwight with Gareth. It's like the rat in Fawlty Towers - I laughed for the wrong reason.

I still think this show is a thing of beauty overall much like it's UK Parent
Despite the early cut and paste episodes and the loss of Michael Scott it still maintained a terrific standard throughout and always had a lot of heart

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 26th April 2014, 9:01 PM

Jim & Pam went a bit limp as soon as they coupled up.

I'm sure Jim didn't. Ooer.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 26th June 2021, 1:16 AM

maintained a terrific standard throughout and always had a lot of heart

Couldn't agree lesszzzzzzzz.

A truly great sitcom that at times transcended the original it was based on. An incredibly talented cast too, not just Steve Carell but Rainn Wilson, B. J. Novak, Mindy Kaling etc.

Quote: chipolata @ 15th July 2021, 5:54 AM

A truly great sitcom that at times transcended the original it was based on.

No it didn't.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 15th July 2021, 7:06 AM

No it didn't.

Yes it did.

People say the panto format is out of date. Oh no, it isn't.
I picked up the first ''''''''''season'''''''''' cheap and won the second. Didn't bother with the rest.

Steve: Well it does pick up after that Michael
Michael: I'll tell you who likes a pick up, my mother apparently

Steve: Well anyway, I just watched the retrospective and although it's a great show it goes through three distinctive phases
Firstly they stick to the Gervais/Merchant scripts/ideas fairly closely then it gets into it's own stride with Michael Scott being the central character and has probably it's best moments, and then finally Scott leaves and they have to change the dynamic, while it was on people may have said it was going downhill by now but second rate office is still funnier & warmer than most other sitcoms

Love the English one too obvs

The first season is pretty much a carbon copy. With the second, they develop their own take, but I honestly never got round to watching the rest. They're not on BubeTube and I can't be arsed with a box set.

Late followup but I just came across (tee hee) the complete series on Netf**ks. Currently mid-season-three. As I've written elsewhere, its failing is when it loses touch with reality, the classic case being Dwight v Gareth. Enjoying it, but I couldn't watch it again and again like the Brit one. Still, there's always Rashida Jones to lift one's, um, spirits... The interesting thing is that if it was a sitcom in its own right, I'd like it a lot more - check Fawlty Towers to Payne, which was universally panned but is no worse than a lot of the shit the Yanks've churned out. And whatever happened to 'Oh no, it's THEM'?

Are you enjoying a bit more this time around though Michael, nw you're a bit further in

I'm re watching it all the way through myself actually

Mid series 3. Enjoying it but not laughing much.
So, Jim''s dating, and that's cool. I mean, I'm like totally okay with that, you know?... That was my Pam impression. Good, isn't it?

Fact: Impressions are a form of Identity theft
Fact: Identity theft is no laughing matter

( That was my Dwight )

So, they're dating now, and I'm okay with that. Like, that's cool... That's my impersonation of every female character in The Office.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 25th February 2022, 7:47 PM

nw you're a bit further in

I'm watching it all the way through myself

That's what she said.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 27th February 2022, 10:18 PM

So, they're dating now, and I'm okay with that. Like, that's cool... That's my impersonation of every female character in The Office.

That's what she said.

Haha