The Office: An American Workplace Page 29

I think Michael's final two are mostly pretty good with lots of great episodes mixed in, and his final ep is very strong. The final two seasons could be very up and down as it scrabbled to carry on, but it was never less than enjoyable to me. It was still fun to hang out with most of those characters. Though they really f**k Andy up. And I've no idea why they made Tate a regular. After a certain point, there seems no reason for her to still be there, so it's a bit odd. Clark Duke is a great addition in the final season. Oh, and I seem to be one of the few who really liked Robert California. The episode where they all go round his house is great.

Does anyone else feel that they should have waited another season or two before Jim & Pam got together? The awkward sexual tension between them was great and I think it could have spawned a lot more avenues for the show to go down. Instead their characters went a bit limp as soon as they coupled up.

That's the only gripe I have with the show in the Carell era.

Just finished season 6 and didn't find it quite as bad as some have made out. It feels like it's lost its edge, but still plenty of laughs.

One thing that I have realised is that Jim really annoys me now. The constant wisecracks and blatant laziness have become quite tiring. I absolutely love it in Season 5 when Charles Miner keeps putting him in his place.

Anyway, onwards to season 7.

The good thing about the Jim character or the writing of him at least, was that they weren't afraid to show he was a dick sometimes. Seeing things like that was refreshing.

Season 7 isn't too bad, but they seem to be going down the Simpsons route now of wacky plots rather than character driven plots. The opening skits are trying far too hard as well.

Quote: Ben @ 13th May 2014, 7:25 PM BST

Season 7 isn't too bad, but they seem to be going down the Simpsons route now of wacky plots rather than character driven plots. The opening skits are trying far too hard as well.

The final ep is great. It may bring a tingle to the old eyeballs.

Tingles to balls is always good!

Which season has the ep with the Parkour cold open? I think that's seven. Made me spit tea everywhere, so good.

Quote: Vince Ives @ 13th May 2014, 10:16 PM BST

Which season has the ep with the Parkour cold open? I think that's seven. Made me spit tea everywhere, so good.

Parkour! Parkour!

- http://vimeo.com/73636352

It's the Gossip episode which is the first episode of season 6.

I personally love the fire drill.

- http://vimeo.com/11938283

There's to much good to highlight.

PowerPoint is boring!
The first is shooting at us!
Stanley you will not die! Stanley! Stanley! Barak is president! You are black, Stanley!

Plus Dwight revealing the entire thing was a fake fire drill after they pretty much destroyed the office (no pun intended) because they ignored his previous fire drill training.

Quote: Jeremy Smith @ 9th July 2007, 7:42 PM BST

Anybody watch this? If you don't, I 100% recommend it. I am a massive Gervais/Merchant fan, and love the English version....but even I say that the American version is slightly better. You have to watch it as an entirely different sitcom though, as the humour is different, and don't compare it to the english version, or you probably won't like it.

Thoughts?

Totally, totally agree. So gutted it's finished!

I'm up to season 9 now and it's still making me laugh. It's not as good as the first five seasons, but the declines not as dramatic as I feared it would be. Not that keen on Nelly, but Robert California was a wonderful creation.

Decided to watch this again from the last few Steve Carell episodes up to the end.
I do miss this one, it was a pretty decent show with a fair bit of heart

I especially like how ridiculous it can be while still maintaining a fairly ordinary world

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 13th February 2016, 1:32 AM GMT

Decided to watch this again from the last few Steve Carell episodes up to the end.
I do miss this one, it was a pretty decent show with a fair bit of heart

I especially like how ridiculous it can be while still maintaining a fairly ordinary world

I miss it, too. The first episode(s) being a blatant remake of the UK series almost put me off it, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Good stuff.

Yeah I don't think I'd watch the first series again, bit cringey
But it really got into it's own as it went along

Oh hello Bob Odenkirk has just popped up
I forgot he was in it

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 13th February 2016, 1:48 AM GMT

Yeah I don't think I'd watch the first series again, bit cringey
But it really got into it's own as it went along

I'm impressed that they gave it time to mature into its own show. If a show performs poorly for 4 or 5 episodes it's typically given the axe.