I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,272

Which bit is tosh?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th March 2021, 7:50 PM

Not just him but lots of people are losing their income for not towing the leftie line.

Not sure the people behind The Mash Report would agree.

The problem with Pierced Organ is he rants and it's meant to be a light hearted morning show people can watch to catch up on news, weather and current affairs. Not be a vehicle for Piers to constantly hammer home his own opinions and be critical of people and I'm amazed it's been allowed to go on for so long. He was probably told that the decision has been made to terminate his contract and gave him the option to resign instead.

It's made even more pathetic because he's only been critical of Harry and Meghan since their wedding that he wasn't invited to. I've not seen the Oprah interview or when Piers walked off but I've read that Meghan said in the interview she has considered suicide and Piers said that is not true. He cannot know this and while it might be his opinion that he's entitled to it's not appropriate for him to say it on television. Just because Meghan is in the public eye doesn't mean her mental health can be openly discussed.

I hope Meghan sues him for defamation and there's a backlash from mental health and domestic abuse charities enough to damage his career the self obsessed, talentless wanker. He was a figure of contempt and ridicule before Simon Cowell gave him a job.

Piers is a man-baby, believing that he has the the right to do and say anything, and then screaming and shouting and whining if anybody dares to disagree with him or question him. Other man-babies include Donald Trump, Nigel Farage and Laurence Fox.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 13th March 2021, 11:36 PM

Just because Meghan is in the public eye doesn't mean her mental health can be openly discussed.

Then why bring it up on one of the most watched TV progs in recent history?

Met Police failing to see the irony in policemen dragging women of the street, who are protesting about a policeman dragging a woman off the street.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th March 2021, 10:34 AM

Met Police failing to see the irony in policemen dragging women of the street, who are protesting about a policeman dragging a woman off the street.

Quite.

... and the irony of MPs criticising the police for attempting to enforce the (unnecessary and largely unenforceable) laws that they themselves have imposed.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th March 2021, 11:16 AM

... and the irony of MPs criticising the police for attempting to enforce the (unnecessary and largely unenforceable) laws that they themselves have imposed.

Good point.

The Met should have ignored the vigil, as a covid law breach, or, if not able to, at least not manhandled the women at the vigil.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th March 2021, 10:34 AM

But they are led by a woman, and her female deputy excused the action as necessary. I very much agree with their right to protest and their right to feel safe and I definitely agree something more has to be done now so they can walk the streets safely but encouraging crowds to huddle together as they did at the bandstand was provocative, potentially dangerous to health and illegal.

Of the little snips of videos online, several were not wearing masks and they were packed together like sardines, the majority were of the age where they wouldn't have yet been part vaccinated either, and there were quite a few men among them. Why couldn't they listen to the advice of the original organisers who said 'Don't go'. Why do they think they'd get special treatment for breaking the law and encouraging more mass gatherings? If the police DIDN'T move to disperse them, they'd get slaughtered for not protecting the public and upholding the law.

Quote: BTF @ 14th March 2021, 11:26 AM

The Met should have ignored the vigil, as a covid law breach, or, if not able to, at least not manhandled the women at the vigil.

And encourage unlawful mass gatherings in a pandemic? They simply did their job, unless there's stuff I haven't seen. And for the sake of equality, this is how men get treated.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th March 2021, 11:16 AM

That's nonsense, Billy sorry. There is now masses of proof that large gatherings have increased the spread of covid.

I think that the damage was done by the time the police intervened as in damage done by covid transmission. However, I can see that this is not necessarily regarded as relevant in terms of the police doing their job by enforcing the law.

In terms of it being seen as encouraging mass gathering, if they had not intervened, I can see that point of view.

If you try and move people on, at a vigil like this, emotions will run high. I saw some of the footage.

I still think it could have maybe been handled better.

Quote: BTF @ 14th March 2021, 11:48 AM

I still think it could have maybe been handled better.

I agree.
Sometimes you have to learn to read the room.

They should have closed the park off. In China and Brazil and a few other places, crowd gatherers have suffered a lot more at the hands of their police. I'm cynical enough to believe that some of them got exactly what hey wanted - pictures of 'police brutality' against peaceful women protesting against male brutality (while breaking the law on mass gatherings we've all had to adhere to). If anything more than a few people's pride was hurt, I'd be amazed.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th March 2021, 11:38 AM

That's nonsense, Billy sorry. There is now masses of proof that large gatherings have increased the spread of covid.

If that were so - outdoors - there would have been huge spikes last May and June if you remember those photos of people on the beaches over Easter and the May Bank Holidays. There wasn't. In fact numbers went down at that time, which enabled the easing of the first lockdown.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th March 2021, 12:15 PM

If that were so - outdoors - there would have been huge spikes last May and June if you remember those photos of people on the beaches over Easter and the May Bank Holidays. There wasn't. In fact numbers went down at that time, which enabled the easing of the first lockdown.

Don't often find myself in agreement with you BB :D - but in this case you're right.
Not one case was traced back to the Bournemouth beach incident, for instance.
(I complained as loud as most people at the time)
Our knowledge of this virus grows on a daily basis - but it's becoming clear that, if you couple mask wearing, being outdoors and not shouting and screaming, you reduce the spread significantly.