The Monarchy Page 6

I would like to award this thread the prize for getting the furthest away from the subject of the original post in the shortest time.

So Goodland, you were one of the vandals that made CB radio useless, caring not a single jot for the YEARS of effort in the 70's and 80's that it took to persuade the UK Government that it was OK to have UK citizens talk directly to each other by radio (for a nominal fee, of course).

The Government held out for years, fearing that easy communications would enable a citizens' uprising. Eventually they agreed to a few measly CB channels with Tx power so drastically limited that it would barely reach the end of the street, but better than nowt.

Then along came the unthinking vandals.

~~~~~~
Had it not been for the advent of mobile phones (which possibly was permitted because CB radio had not led to uprisings and the feelthy rich could get richer), you would probably have been tracked down & your radio smashed and your aerial stuffed where no aerial should go.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th May 2019, 9:47 AM

I was only a young lad and had never seen such things - well the size.

And so m'lud we come to the case of Mr Goodlord!! who is pleading ignorance owing to age and the plaintiff, the lady with the big knockers who is claiming compensation owing to the fact she now has to use the launderette.

I've been around for several decades now and I can honestly say I don't remember ever seeing ladies' underwear on a washing line - except in a comedy film or TV programme.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 30th May 2019, 2:47 PM

I've been around for several decades now and I can honestly say I don't remember ever seeing ladies' underwear on a washing line - except in a comedy film or TV programme.

I don't suppose they do in Virginia Water where your butler takes it in for his wife to wash for you.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th May 2019, 11:37 AM

Yeah.........if you say so, and how dare you suggest I do that!

I just happened be trimming the boundary hedge

Is that a euphemism?

Oops, billwill was a CB'er
Sorry good buddy 10 4
What was your handle?

So long ago, I've forgotten. Probably Narwhal or Blue Dolphin or summat like that.

Most effective use that I recall was in 1986 keeping two vehicles in touch with each other all the way from London to John-o-Groats. Our diving equipment van with most of the club and an MGBGT with two extra members that there was no room in the van for.

Many town/villages en-route had an annoying CB vandal blocking the channels usually with the transmit button jammed down and transmitting loud music. As if there were not enough radio stations doing that already.