Out There

I'm sitting here in stunned disbelief at a new stand-up comedy show called "Out There" in which various stand-up comedians, instead of telling jokes from behind a microphone, tell individual jokes in various everyday locations - in a park, walking down the street, sitting in a pub or a cinema, etc. I have absolutely no idea why this format was ever even suggested, never mind adopted. It adds absolutely nothing to the comedy experience: in fact, it removes almost everything from it.

As if that were not bad enough, the overwhelming majority of the jokes are ones we've heard before and, to add insult to injury, they are in many cases probably the weakest jokes these comedians have ever told. In fact, in many cases, they are the weakest jokes anybody has ever told.

If I had to rate this program on a scale of 0 to 10, I can honestly say that a score of 0 would be flattering.

It includes several comedians from The Stand Up Sketch Show...some who are, in my opinion, very funny, but it feels a bit disjointed in its format. I found myself groaning at the jokes, rather than being impressed by them. It's just a bit of fun, I guess, but I'll have to watch more to get a proper feel for it. Whereas, I don't want to miss a single Stand Up Sketch Show episode, the pilot of this series has left me not feeling all that fussed if I miss a few down the line. An early gauge for me, let's see. I only caught it last night, because it came on after Through the Keyhole.

Lots and lots of brilliant comics here. Good jokes too. But without a live audience to play off, it just comes off as flat and kills the jokes somewhat. Especially nice to see Bec Hill in TV though, about time they found her something worthy of her talents (which isn't this sadly)

I enjoyed it. Needs to be a bit more about the quick-fire gags rather than some of the longer ones though, which felt randomly shoehorned in and out of place.

Hello everyone from America! My wife and I are big fans of British television. We love shows like QI and Mock The Week, somehow we heard about Out There and have been searching YouTube and the internet for any clips, but none turn up. Any one hear of any news about it going viral or being broadcast in a way a non Brit can view would be appreciated. Thank you all

I thought only the pilot episode had been broadcast so far (correct me if I'm wrong)...so I'm not sure there would be many viral clips of it yet. If you've never seen The Stand Up Sketch Show, that's probably a better bet for finding clips online. It includes a few of the same comedians...plus it's incredibly funny.

Yes, only a pilot. No word of a series as yet.

I think "Out There" might reasonably be compared to World War I in that it seemed to some people like a good idea at the time but was, in the event, an absolute disaster for all concerned.

Tragically, nobody appeared to have learned their lesson from World War I and so we had to go through World War II before deciding that nothing even remotely similar must ever happen again.

I hope we don't have to go through another episode of "Out There" before we decide that one was more than enough and that we really should have learnt our lesson.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 10th April 2019, 12:14 PM

I think "Out There" might reasonably be compared to World War I in that it seemed to some people like a good idea at the time but was, in the event, an absolute disaster for all concerned.

Tragically, nobody appeared to have learned their lesson from World War I and so we had to go through World War II before deciding that nothing even remotely similar must ever happen again.

I hope we don't have to go through another episode of "Out There" before we decide that one was more than enough and that we really should have learnt our lesson.

Opinions are, of course, subjective. But yours is objectively incorrect.

Quote: Aaron @ 10th April 2019, 12:21 PM

Opinions are, of course, subjective. But yours is objectively incorrect.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it, grasshopper.