This Time With Alan Partridge Page 7

The title of Alan's smash hit show "Knowing Me, Knowing You", was the first line of an Abba song.

Perhaps his current show should now, after two episodes, be re-titled using another line of the same song: "We just have to face it, this time we're through"?

As this is being shown on the BBC is it safe to assume it will be released on DVD/Blu Ray shortly after the last episode is broadcast? Is it done on a fixed time frame these days?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 11th March 2019, 7:31 PM

As this is being shown on the BBC is it safe to assume it will be released on DVD/Blu Ray shortly after the last episode is broadcast? Is it done on a fixed time frame these days?

It's not on Blu ray unfortunately, few TV comedies are, but yes, it's on DVD a week after the final episode. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/this_time_with_alan_partridge/shop/6196/series_1/

There isn't a fixed time frame for releases by any distributor as far as I'm aware

I loved Alan getting a bit of revenge on Ruth. Great stuff

Nope. Whereas Warren has got better.........................this hasn't.

So is Michael alive?

His selfless pointless sacrifice in the movie was one of it's highlights, but we saw a flash of an image of him on Alan's iTablet-ey device . . . was it an old photo Alan keeps in memory of his old Mucker, or has he resurfaced and maybe see him on the show?

I've been watching television on and off for several decades now and I've seen some bloody awful programs.

However, I've never seen a programme so bloody awful that I couldn't imagine anybody liking it.

I'm not saying "This Time" is like that from start to finish in every episode but what was all that "Braveheart" stuff about? And what was all that "school" stuff about last night?

We're always saying that comedy is subjective and, although we're right to say that, there are some bits of "This Time" that are almost objectively shite.

What's all the "TV Wall" shite about with the bloke who is so interesting I don't remember his name, let alone want to.

It's meant to be excruciatingly embarrassing I imagine and it unwittingly is!!

No, sorry folk who like this, I think it is absolute bollocks.........................and a great shame!!

Quote: jsg @ 11th March 2019, 10:39 PM

I loved Alan getting a bit of revenge on Ruth. Great stuff

Yes, I did enjoy that.

I also laughed, perhaps too much, at 'schoolboy Alan.' It caught me off guard.

The only good thing to come out of "This Time" is the realisation that if an infinite number of monkeys were to type an infinite number of scripts for a TV comedy series, a production company could pick any one of those scripts at random, stick it on the telly and somebody would enjoy it.

KMKYWAP never really worked for me either. It was just slightly too much to accept that this pillar of ineptitude would have a prime time chat show. He was too exaggerated in his awfulness, his rudeness, his incompetence. So I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy it. Even dreadful presenters in real life still have some modicum of professionalism to them. It felt like what it was - a scripted facsimile of a BBC show with certain elements enhanced to play for laughs, rather than what it thought it was - a satire of 90s primetime pap.
This is exactly the same issue with TTWAP. It is not a satirical take on vapid magazine shows like The One Show, as it likes to think. It's a scripted sketch show with an outdated and unsuitable comedy character parachuted in to make it more awful. It is awful, but not in the way they intended. It's like Captain Mainwaring appearing in Not The Nine O'Clock News.
Plus the BBC couldn't lynch The One Show anyway - they'd be taking the piss out of one of their staple programmes. So they have to content themselves with a half-baked ribbing and no more, which makes you wonder why they bothered.
Alan Partridge is a comedy character and works best in comedy environments. Which is why IAP was a triumph and TTWAP isn't. It worked so well because it was a straight-up, loud and proud sitcom with a laughter track, not some subversive, post-Office study of British awkwardness. It was great in 1997 and it's great now. It played for laughs - and got them frequently - by giving this hapless individual the breathing space to flourish into his uptight, conservative, ignorant, pathetic self. The character became fully rounded - still a twat, but with depth. And we ended up rooting for him despite everything. (Plus you couldn't help but love the non-essential but brilliant sidelines such as his morning handovers to Dave Clifton or his recurring vision of lap-dancing for Tony Hayers.) KMKYWAP tried to crowbar his dreadfulness into a live-audience format and it didn't carry. For me anyway.
There's an added issue these days which is that Steve Coogan has morphed into AP in the same way I wonder how fuzzy the line between David Brent and Ricky Gervais is. AP is now a totally different character, even down to the way he speaks. Why does he roll his Rs all the time? And he seems to have been the same age for the last 25 years. It's just plain odd now. The greatest irony of all is that it's Steve Coogan who's been brought back to the BBC, past his prime, for a final shot. In the same way that the immortal but unrecognisable Simpsons seems to have lost all self-awareness, so has he.

Still enjoying this, much better than the execrable Warren before it. I will say though Lolly Adefope's one joke character gets old very quickly and just isn't particularly funny. The Scottish guy was hilarious though

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 14th March 2019, 10:05 PM

Still enjoying this, much better than the execrable Warren before it. I will say though Lolly Adefope's one joke character gets old very quickly and just isn't particularly funny. The Scottish guy was hilarious though

That could be me saying that, EXCEPT I am the complete opposite on both counts, BUT I will be forthcoming in saying that my son, who has been watching it on catch up, is enjoying it.

Well that was the funniest episode so far. The burp, the hidden camera (His 'This is Your Life' then awkward run to the car was perhaps the most Partridge thing this series). Finally even Tim Key is given something to do, I really loved that tiny glimpse of Alan really caring about him when he asks that girl to look after him.

Not everything works though. Lolly Adefope's character gets less funny every time she appears to the point of being infuriating.

Tonight's episode (4) was as bad as any of the previous three.

This really is dire stuff. If Steve Coogan hadn't done such wonderful work as AP in his past TV and online programmes, I don't think "This Time" would even be considered for an afternoon slot.