I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,941

Quote: keewik @ 2nd August 2017, 8:46 PM

I'm a very kind person, except when I meet Trump-lovers and Tories (sorry Arron).

That's as bad as saying, "I'm not a racist except when I meet <insert racial group here>."

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 2nd August 2017, 6:47 AM

There seems to be lots of opposition to Trump's attempted ban from senior figures within the military. The proposed ban seems to be more to do with wooing Trump's conservative base to help his defence budget get through than anything else.

Possibly but I'm more inclined to think the military speakers are playing a game of PR knowing that no more transgenders will be allowed in, not wanting to upset the ones they have and don't yet know what to do with long term, except see their numbers dwindle through normal means at the very least. Average length of military service is low, with many not even making the standard three years sign up.

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd August 2017, 10:33 PM

That's as bad as saying, "I'm not a racist except when I meet <insert racial group here>."

I bow to your superior knowledge (and experience) of Trump-lovers.

Quote: keewik @ 2nd August 2017, 8:46 PM

I'm a very kind person, except when I meet Trump-lovers and Tories (sorry Arron).

Are you ignoring me here?

All right - sorry Arron AND CHAPPERS.

Quote: keewik @ 2nd August 2017, 11:10 PM

I bow to your superior knowledge (and experience) of Trump-lovers.

I know dozens and dozens of people of all ages/races/genders who voted for Trump, but I can only think of a single person who would qualify as a Trump lover. He posted multiple pro-Trump items on Facebook every day, so I blocked them. Problem solved.

That makes the fact they voted for the numpty even more incomprehensible. The man's a compete clown and is making America a laughing stock. Maybe you don't see that from where you sit.

Quote: keewik @ 2nd August 2017, 11:48 PM

That makes the fact they voted for the numpty even more incomprehensible. The man's a compete clown and is making America a laughing stock. Maybe you don't see that from where you sit.

I agree with Keewik! Yes really!

All around the world the USA is viewed as a bunch of losers run by an egomaniac who really has no idea about what's going on everywhere else - although I realise that you really don't care what everyone else thinks.

Quote: keewik @ 2nd August 2017, 11:48 PM

If you've been paying attention to the news for the last 30 or 40 years, you'll have noticed that every American leader/candidate has been an idiotic, warmongering, clueless joke of a person who the rest of the world laughs at, while simultaneously ruining the nation's reputation and threatening the world with death and destruction.

If you've been paying attention, you'll also have noticed that the levels of outrage/despair/fear/laughter rise to ear-splitting and eyeball-bleeding while a Republican is in office, and that they settle down to barely discernible levels while a Democrat is in power.

If you've been paying attention, you'll also have noticed that, as Chappers mentioned earlier, Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks about our nation. :)

As a general rule, Americans don't know much about the rest of the world either.

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd August 2017, 12:44 AM

If you've been paying attention to the news for the last 30 or 40 years, you'll have noticed that every American leader/candidate has been an idiotic, warmongering, clueless joke of a person who the rest of the world laughs at, while simultaneously ruining the nation's reputation and threatening the world with death and destruction.

If you've been paying attention, you'll also have noticed that the levels of outrage/despair/fear/laughter rise to ear-splitting and eyeball-bleeding while a Republican is in office, and that they settle down to barely discernible levels while a Democrat is in power.

If you've been paying attention, you'll also have noticed that, as Chappers mentioned earlier, Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks about our nation. :)

I've been 'paying attention' for more than 50 years (when you were probably still in short pants), having become interested in politics when I took a course as part of my degree, so don't patronise me, sonny. In all those years I have NEVER known a US president who was so loathed and derided by the general public, the reputable media, our politicians, and just about every sensible, prominent, public figure. Your arrogant assertion that Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks, is somewhat belied by the fact that every time I post an anti-Trump statement, you can't wait to get out here with the gloves on.

There, now you've made me break my resolution not to respond to your puerile and patronising posts.

Glass houses and all that.

Let's break down your post:

Quote: keewik @ 3rd August 2017, 1:45 PM

I've been 'paying attention' for more than 50 years (when you were probably still in short pants), having become interested in politics when I took a course as part of my degree, so don't patronise me, sonny.

Translation: "I am old and wise and you are young and stupid."
Reality: I am neither young nor stupid.

In all those years I have NEVER known a US president who was so loathed and derided

Translation: "Donald Trump is the most hated president ever."
Reality: Other than George Bush. And Ronald Reagan before him. And Richard Nixon before him.

general public, the reputable media, our politicians, and just about every sensible, prominent, public figure.

Translation: "General public = everyone who feels the same was as I do. I'll ignore the rest"
Translation: "Reputable media = every media outlet that feels the same was as I do. I'll ignore the rest"
Translation: "Just about every sensible, prominent, public figure" = every celebrity that feels the same was as I do. I'll ignore the rest of the common folk -- sort of like we did with Brexit"

Your arrogant assertion that Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks, is somewhat belied by the fact that every time I post an anti-Trump statement, you can't wait to get out here with the gloves on.

Translation: "You're arrogant if you dare to disagree with me and you're always itching for a fight in order to defend your hero Donald Trump."

Reality: It's not arrogance to make a statement of fact. I respond to maybe 20% of your anti-Trump screeds, and not because I like the guy; I think he's done a rather poor job so far. You'll also notice that I respond politely and without lacing my comments with angry, belittling attacks. I'm quite open-minded and I enjoy discussions with people who hold differing views.

There, now you've made me break my resolution not to respond to your puerile and patronising posts.

^ See above.

I think you're a top man, DaButt, and I applaud you for sticking with us, despite getting some pretty harsh treatment.
I disagree with nearly 100% of what you say, but not your right to say it - and receive a fair hearing.
You deserve better than Trump, though - and not because of his politics - pretty well any Republican-led Whitehouse would have a similar agenda.
But do you not groan inwardly when he pulls those silly faces and talks the way he talks?
And aren't you a little bit worried that the back-stops we all presumed would be in place don't seem to be reigning him in?
Genuine questions.

Quote: Lazzard @ 3rd August 2017, 6:10 PM

I think you're a top man, DaButt, and I applaud you for sticking with us, despite getting some pretty harsh treatment.

Cheers. It's sad that so many people have become so polarized that they can't even carry on a civil discussion without resorting to anger and outrage. The political parties rub their hands together with glee every time it happens, because it means that they have created a 100% loyal follower who will not listen to a different point of view. I think it's refreshing and healthy when someone expresses a different point of view. I'm not going to assault them with outrageous accusations merely because they express their opinion.

You deserve better than Trump, though - and not because of his politics - pretty well any Republican-led Whitehouse would have a similar agenda.

We all deserve better than the politicians we have. Our best and brightest typically shun public service because of the cesspool that is modern politics. If Abraham Lincoln were to run for president today, someone would unearth a 20-year-old video of him throwing a stick at a squirrel and the media-fueled outrage would bring down his campaign.

Politics in the United States has become a multi-billion dollar industry, and all of that money corrupts just about anyone. The fact that Bill and Hillary Clinton made hundreds of millions of dollars after he left office was the biggest reason that she wasn't elected. Twice. Although her comment about the "deplorables" was what sealed her fate.

But do you not groan inwardly when he pulls those silly faces and talks the way he talks?

Sure, but I'm not voting for someone because of the way they look or the way they speak. I vote for them because of the things they promise to do, and then I hope that they make good on just a few of those promises.

All we've heard for months is Russia, Russia, Russia. Forget that it's all been based on anonymous reports and leaks (likely from the various intelligence agencies that Trump has been battling with since before the election) but there has been some actual progress made on some fronts. The president has made good on his pledge to reduce red tape and burdensome legislation, and that's a very good thing.

And aren't you a little bit worried that the back-stops we all presumed would be in place don't seem to be reigning him in?

He's been reigned in at nearly every turn. He's implemented temporary travel restrictions from certain troublesome countries (it's not a ban) and had it overturned several times. A member of his own party rose from his deathbed to vote against repealing Obamacare. He's complaining that his efforts are being slowed and stymied by Congress and the Senate. I think the system is working exactly as it should.

One of the best things about having a Republican in the White House is that the media actually does its job and works hard at investigating the administration. That was sadly lacking for the last 8 years.