I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,937

Quote: Chappers @ 19th July 2017, 2:22 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40658774

I don't think that this will affect me, Bill or Herc.

It wouldn't affect me, either, so I should just pop across the border and soak up some of that sweet pension money. I could use some free NHS treatment, too. It would be racist to turn me back just because of my nationality, right? Hell, my skin is even a bit brown from more than 40 years of living in the deep south.

I'd assimilate very well: I like beer, I have a decent command of the English language, and the odds of me becoming a suicide bomber are fairly slim.

Ah, but my dear fellow, to truly assimilate with modern Britain, you'll have to promise not to work too hard, and you must expect, nay, demand, something for nothing.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th July 2017, 2:22 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40658774

I don't think that this will affect me, Bill or Herc.

Of course, and although it won't be the same for those people affected, it was the best thing I ever did financially to work 5 years past my retirement age as it bumped my state pension up significantly and I paid no National Insurance from age 65, which was an unexpected bonus. :D

I'm not jealous of Chris Evans. Cool

Quote: Kenneth @ 19th July 2017, 2:59 PM

Ah, but my dear fellow, to truly assimilate with modern Britain, you'll have to promise not to work too hard, and you must expect, nay, demand, something for nothing.

You have point Kenneth and to expand on that ....

If the world give you lemons, the council will fine you !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40679075

We seem to have lost sight of the need for an entrepreneurial spirit. We need a government that promotes that. Recently they have increase the administrative burden and taxation of business and done less to stimulate the economy than in my living memory. Maggie OR Blair would be better than this bunch of jokers. Osborn was a journalist before and after running/ruining our Economy ?? We need more commercial experience in government, rather than Journalists and entertainers (Boris, Abbot et al).

Quote: DaButt @ 19th July 2017, 2:45 PM

It wouldn't affect me, either, so I should just pop across the border and soak up some of that sweet pension money. I could use some free NHS treatment, too. It would be racist to turn me back just because of my nationality, right? Hell, my skin is even a bit brown from more than 40 years of living in the deep south.

I'd assimilate very well: I like beer, I have a decent command of the English language, and the odds of me becoming a suicide bomber are fairly slim.

Ah, but they won't let you bring your guns.

I saw on an episode of Judge Judy a case involving a deadbeat guy and someone suing him for not repaying a loan which is the usual fare but the deadbeat said something that made me wonder about how the American health system works.

In a nutshell the guy said that he inherited $50,000 from his his deceased wife's life insurance policy but this was $30,000 in actual cash he received because there were $20,000 medical costs involved in emergency bills. No other details are given but from that it sounds like the woman was taken suddenly ill and the Emergency Room bills were $20,000 which I imagine are made up of various costs as and when they arise such as the deployment of life saving equipment. He mentioned that the treament lasted about 20 minutes so from that it's fair to say it was in an emergency room setting.

This is the scenario - someone is walking down a New York street (or any American street) and suddenly collapses unconscious. What is the reaction of emergency services in terms of health insurance or ability to pay for any treatment before it's carried out? In an emergency like a cardiac arrest there isn't time to be checking means of covering the bill so how does it work and does it vary between states? Can hospitals freeroll non-insured patients so they get free treatement like in that charming episode of Scrubs.

I can understand ER care will be the most expensive part but if you survive and need ongoing care then $50,000 isn't going to last long so how can somone be charged so much for life saving treatement and will it be given without your consent and then get invoiced with a five figure sum if you pull through?

That's why our Health service in practice is the best in the world and why so many spongers from around the world want to come here to live.

And such friendly locals.

Quote: Firkin @ 21st July 2017, 8:59 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40679075

We seem to have lost sight of the need for an entrepreneurial spirit.

Indeed. Although Britain has managed to export some of its best welfare cheats to Australia, where they gain residency, claim disability (a spurious bad back or even depression will do), start collecting huge benefits for life, and then work abroad, returning as necessary to collect handouts.

Quote: Kenneth @ 22nd July 2017, 4:58 PM

Indeed. Although Britain has managed to export some of its best welfare cheats to Australia, where they gain residency, claim disability (a spurious bad back or even depression will do), start collecting huge benefits for life, and then work abroad, returning as necessary to collect handouts.

I thought we stopped doing that a couple of hundred years ago.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd July 2017, 11:02 PM

I thought we stopped doing that a couple of hundred years ago.

Goodness me, no. When it comes to exporting welfare cheats, the Poms have got the edge on the Gyppos.

For those beyond all hope we simply deport to the West. Donald Trump is a prime example.

"Chainsaw massacre" in Schaffhausen, Switzerland. :(
I hope it's not a terrorist attack...until now I believed we live in a safe bubble here.

Bloody hell.

Hopefully just a random mad man, rather than organised terrorism.
Although obviously that's no better to the people involved.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 24th July 2017, 12:22 PM

"Chainsaw massacre" in Schaffhausen, Switzerland.

I thought chainsaw massacres were confined to Texas.

Speaking of Texas, this horrible thing happened in my city over the weekend:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/San-Antonio-death-toll-in-horrific-human-11308288.php