I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,946

Bloody hell.
Why does the weather hate us so?

Quote: zooo @ 25th August 2017, 7:40 PM

Bloody hell.
Why does the weather hate us so?

It's Mother Earth saying she's had enough. Angelic

Trump's fault, as usual, for withdrawing from the Paris Agreement. As scientists have taught us, all natural disasters are due to global warming caused by excessive emissions of greenhouse gases. The longer Trump remains in power, the more icebreakers are headed for the scrap dock.

Quote: Kenneth @ 26th August 2017, 1:25 PM

Trump's fault, as usual, for withdrawing from the Paris Agreement. As scientists have taught us, all natural disasters are due to global warming caused by excessive emissions of greenhouse gases. The longer Trump remains in power, the more icebreakers are headed for the scrap dock.

I was disappointed (but not surprised) to see media outlets twisting themselves into knots as they tried to spin the hurricane into an anti-Trump message. One major outlet claimed that "Trump has already failed" 24 hours before the storm even hit the Texas coast. I'm sure they're readying more attacks if the president doesn't rebuild every structure and remove every piece of debris with his own two hands.

Quote: DaButt @ 26th August 2017, 3:29 PM

I was disappointed (but not surprised) to see media outlets twisting themselves into knots as they tried to spin the hurricane into an anti-Trump message.

All these anti Trump media outlets, anti Trump countries, anti Trump members of his party that keep getting sacked, and your concern is that people are anti Trump ? Doesn't a tiny bit of your think, maybe the rest of the world are and the American media are onto something ?

Quote: Firkin @ 26th August 2017, 3:51 PM

All these anti Trump media outlets, anti Trump countries, anti Trump members of his party that keep getting sacked, and your concern is that people are anti Trump

No, my concern is that supposedly unbiased media outlets are so desperate to attack a sitting president that they'll try to blame him for an act of nature. As I said, it doesn't surprise me, having seen the same thing during every other Republican presidency I've seen: Reagan, both Bushes, and now Trump. It's what they do, but it still pisses me off.

Quote: Firkin @ 26th August 2017, 3:51 PM

Doesn't a tiny bit of your think, maybe the rest of the world are and the American media are onto something ?

I don't like Donald Trump and his performance so far has been poor. But the hysteria coming from the media and overseas is just laughable, partisan hot air. The president isn't a racist and he's not going to destroy the world, no matter how badly they'd like us to believe it. And as I've said before, I couldn't care less about what non-Americans think about the president and his policies. They're wasting their breath.

Fair points DaButt. But Trump pulling out of the Kioti agreement does effect the world, does effect natural disasters. So surely it's fair comment to remind Trump of this ?

If a country chooses to be interventionist it does by its very own nature effect others and hence provoke comment. In Trumps case, mostly negative comment. Trump antagonising a psychopath from a long distance away. That intervention is extremely dangerous to North Korea's neighbours. Not a problem to The Donald, but he is doing America's world profile damage and for what ? So surely the world has every right to trash such behaviour. If he wants attention so much, can't you get him a job in Hollywood ? He could do pretend wars.

Quote: Firkin @ 26th August 2017, 4:53 PM

But Trump pulling out of the Kioti agreement does effect the world, does effect natural disasters. So surely it's fair comment to remind Trump of this ?

The United States never ratified the Kyoto Protocol, so there was nothing for Trump to pull out of. You're thinking of the Paris Agreement, which is currently non-binding anyway. (For what it's worth, Canada pulled out of the Kyoto Protocol.)

Quote: Firkin @ 26th August 2017, 4:53 PM

Trump antagonising a psychopath from a long distance away. That intervention is extremely dangerous to North Korea's neighbours. Not a problem to The Donald

I think you'll find that it's the North Koreans who are doing the antagonizing. Their provocative missile tests and repeated promises to build a nuclear-tipped missile and target the United States is a threat that cannot be ignored. You'll also find that nations in the region are far more worried about the North Korean threat than they are of Donald Trump. But it's all a sideshow, as the real threat to the region is China. Expect plenty of fireworks from them over the next decade or two.

China protects its borders (such as North Korea) but has never been an interventionist. This is one of the biggest boans of contention with America. The danger China presents is economic. Where as Trump seem quiet happy to take a dump in other peoples back yards. China believe in letting other countries do their own thing. Live and let live, they are technically Buddhists on the whole. An approach that has won them friends. I don't see the world press accusing China of being a war monger, and quiet right too. But Korean migrants will pour into their country if Trump rattles things too much. Just as Syrian migrants are pouring into Europe. Trump is the danger today, not China. Unless of course Chinese Opera becomes popular and then god help the lot of us.

Quote: Firkin @ 26th August 2017, 5:55 PM

China protects its borders (such as North Korea) but has never been an interventionist.

China believe in letting other countries do their own thing.

I don't see the world press accusing China of being a war monger

You should pay much closer attention to history and the news.

Quote: DaButt @ 26th August 2017, 6:46 PM

You should pay much closer attention to history and the news.

I do. I read that the American press is mostly false according to your President. But if you're going to argue that China has been more of an interventionist more of an aggressor than America over the years, we'd best leave it there.

Quote: Firkin @ 26th August 2017, 7:16 PM

I do. I read that the American press is mostly false according to your President. But if you're going to argue that China has been more of an interventionist more of an aggressor than America over the years, we'd best leave it there.

Look at the recent, massive buildup of the Chinese military and then consider that they have essentially no threats to their existence. Aircraft carriers aren't built for defensive purposes, they are designed to project massive military power in other parts of the world. The Chinese didn't build those man-made islands for defensive purposes, they are grabbing territory and their neighbors in Australia, Vietnam, Japan, South Korea, etc. are getting very nervous. The Chinese are good at holding grudges and have some old scores to settle. Watch what they do over the next 10 or 20 years and think back to when you called them peaceful and willing to let other nations do as they'd like.

And it's quite clear that China is no stranger to military action: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_wars_and_battles

Quote: DaButt @ 25th August 2017, 7:22 PM

A few people will almost certainly die. Flooding, downed tree limbs, hazardous roads, etc.

I've heard of six deaths so far, but that number will probably rise as the floodwaters rise. The Houston area has already had almost 30 inches of rain and an additional 15-25 inches are expected over the next few days.

My city has been lucky so far. Even though we are closer to the center of the storm, the majority of the heavy rains have been off to the east. It's been drizzling rain for the last 36 hours and winds were about 35 MPH yesterday, but so far things are looking good for us.

My next door neighbor's 30-foot tree came crashing down in the winds today. We were one street over, but his daughter texted my other friend's daughter and within 5 minutes we were on the scene with chainsaws. The huge limb landed against the house, but no windows were broken, so we cleaned it up quickly. Luckily I noticed that another 18-inch limb was bending several inches, so we quickly moved the cars out of the driveway and relocated before it came down in the next gust of wind. The governor of Texas is in a wheelchair after being struck by a falling tree limb while jogging, so I was quite wary of the danger. Our other neighbor is a neurosurgeon and he drove by to inspect the damage. He said the chainsaws and falling limbs were a clear hazard, so he left and waited to see if his surgical skills would be needed. :)

Quote: Firkin @ 26th August 2017, 5:55 PM

China protects its borders (such as North Korea) but has never been an interventionist.

Steady on. How about the Korean War? We have Chinese intervention to thank for the creation of North Korea and propping up the regime. And how about China's ongoing maritime expansionism upsetting neighboring countries?