I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,945

Quote: billwill @ 21st August 2017, 2:15 PM

They probably ARE mostly rebuilding the tower. It's not the clock being maintained it's the Tower, so there will be scaffolding all around it.

The silencing of the bell(s) is to protect the hearing of the workers.

PARDON??????????????

I know safety of workers is paramount so the reason the bell is being stopped during maintenance is a sound one but how can anyone predict it will take four years? I accept I don't know the inner workings of the repair schedule and it no doubt be done in phases and rarely goes like clockwork but who could have decided that the bell can't be used for that long. I'm not knocking the workers who will be involved who I'm sure are highly skilled but I would be interested in seeing the tender which should include timeframes and the cause of the huge costs. As it's a Government paid project I would have thought that info is available under the Freedom Of Information act but it wouldn't surprise me if it's been made confidential somehow.

Also read a story today about a lawyer who claims he was at the Princess Diana crash site in the immediate aftermath and has new, sensational claims. I didn't read much more than that. How can someone, especially someone involved in law, decide not to say anything at the time but think it's ok to come out of the woodwork 20 years later? If the crash occurred in the UK I would want to see him prosecuted for withholding information. Nob end.

Re the government putting the squeeze on companies trying to persuade people to invest their pension pots elsewhere to make more money..........................

Smart retired businessman being interviewed on TV in his posh home bemoaning the fact that he had a nice pension and cannot understand how he was talked out of his pension pot - now leaving him with no money.
I know the reason - f**king greed you wanker and I have zero sympathy.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 21st August 2017, 7:21 AM

No bongs for four years?

How are they going to keep big Ben high then ?:P

2 things in todays news.

They're always bleating about sex-discrimination and then some stupid tart suggests Women only train carriages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41028234

And then that twat of a cyclist who took off his front brake and killed a woman said "People have zero respect for cyclists!"

I now have less than zero respect for cyclists!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41028321

A tropical depression turned into Hurricane Harvey and now they're expecting it to grow into a major hurricane before it hits Texas. I'm about 100 miles inland from where it will likely make landfall, but they think it may linger and drop up to 20 inches of rain. My lawn could use some extra water, but not that much...

Oh well, hurricane parties on the horizon! Good thing I just whipped up 20 gallons of beer.

Quote: DaButt @ 24th August 2017, 8:23 PM

Oh well, hurricane parties on the horizon! Good thing I just whipped up 20 gallons of beer.

Are hurricane parties really a thing? I love the idea because anything involving beer gets my vote but what does it entail? Is it a case of batten down the hatches and shoot some pool and sup a few cold ones with buddies in shorts and bikinis?

I've never tried making my own beer but wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 24th August 2017, 9:45 PM

Are hurricane parties really a thing? I love the idea because anything involving beer gets my vote but what does it entail? Is it a case of batten down the hatches and shoot some pool and sup a few cold ones with buddies in shorts and bikinis?

Yeah, they're a thing. They're typically only thrown when there's no real chance of danger. The weather is windy and rainy and it's a good excuse to drink and BBQ with friends.

My friends in my Florida hometown had parties and when they woke up the next morning the storm had headed right for them and intensified to a Category 4 hurricane with sustained 145 MPH winds. They huddled inside as their houses disintegrated and now when a storm is anywhere close, they evacuate. No more parties.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 24th August 2017, 9:45 PM

I've never tried making my own beer but wouldn't mind giving it a go.

It's a great hobby with a rewarding result. Find a local home brewer or home brew club and I'm sure they'd let you sit in on a brew session. It's a fairly social hobby and they'll probably have some beer for you to sample.

You'll be fine, it's just a giant avocado.

Will you be having Harvey Wallbangers? Arf arf. Arf. :|

Quote: zooo @ 25th August 2017, 9:43 AM

You'll be fine, it's just a giant avocado.

:D I'd like to see the knife needed to slice that!

Ha!
I'm actually feeling bad in advance - if anyone dies in this hurricane, I fully retract this fruit-based joshing.

Quote: zooo @ 25th August 2017, 7:18 PM

I'm actually feeling bad in advance - if anyone dies in this hurricane, I fully retract this fruit-based joshing.

A few people will almost certainly die. Flooding, downed tree limbs, hazardous roads, etc.

Erk. Teary

Quote: zooo @ 25th August 2017, 7:25 PM

Erk. Teary

This is what happens in my city when we get 4 inches of rain. We could get up to 20 inches this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPHMLra_J4