What are you reading right now? Page 222

Quote: keewik @ 8th July 2017, 9:14 PM

No, no, no! It's the most wonderful book. Even at university I'd read it before exams to calm me down.

Did you pass any exams? I read it as a kid and there was something seriously off about it. I later discovered the writer was an, um, dubious, character and a little overly fond of Alice. Ewww.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th May 2017, 8:49 PM

But was it any good and did you enjoy it?

I actually discovered Catcher in the Rye three times...
I first read it at 13 and it made absolutely no impression because I was too young - also being 13 Angelic in 1986 and (b) in a family so isolated they make Salinger look like Geri Halliwell was nothing like being 13 now.
Second time was just after uni and I loved it but I thought it was just a humorous book. It genuinely is funny and I graduated in German and Latin so I wasn't used to literature you could actually enjoy.
It was only the third time that I finally 'got' it.
Now? Overrated. Salinger is the luckiest write ever - one novel, 9 Stories, and yet he's a legend. He managed one short story in his last 45 years and it was total and utter f**king shit. As for all this 'at home knocking out masterpiece after masterpiece', I'll believe it when I see it. At home knocking off 16-year-old girls, perhaps?

Smelling of Roses by Eric Sykes. He is my current fave author.

His autobiography was very funny.

Having taken early retirement last year, then getting bored after a year off, I started a new job a month ago that currently had me reading documents for most of the days. Not surprisingly I am not in the mood for reading when I come home.

'The Plague Charmer' - Karen Maitland. Why am I fascinated by the Black Death?

Quote: keewik @ 12th July 2017, 9:42 PM

'The Plague Charmer' - Karen Maitland. Why am I fascinated by the Black Death?

Because you want it to rise in England again.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th July 2017, 8:06 PM

Laughing out loud

Quote: Chappers @ 13th July 2017, 8:06 PM

Mine just did.
I just finished 'The Incredible Shrinking Man' - I don't read a lot of sci fi but this one had me hooked. The ending blew me away. Bet you never thought I'd say anything positive.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 14th July 2017, 6:51 AM

Mine just did.
I just finished 'The Incredible Shrinking Man' - I don't read a lot of sci fi but this one had me hooked. The ending blew me away. Bet you never thought I'd say anything positive.

I've not read the book but I remember seeing the B&W film which was scary at the time. It must be over 30 years since I saw it but I remember an epic battle of wits with a spider. I'm going to add that title to a list of wants.

My to-do list
1. Mel C.

Excerpt from Judy Blume's forthcoming novel, 'I'm 16. Am I Too Old To Still Want To Sleep In My Mom's Bed?':
Chapter 3. ''I'm 16. Am I too old to still want to sleep in my mom's bed?' I'm 16 and I wanna sleep in my mom's bed. But then I think, Am I too old to wanna sleep in my mom's bed? It's okay to wanna sleep in my mom's bed when you're 6. But I'm 16 now. Maybe I'm too old to wanna sleep in my mom's bed. Will I still wanna sleep in mom's bed when I'm 70? What if Mom dies? Grandad died when he was 70. Did he wanna sleep in my mom's bed? I guess I'm just kinda confused.'
The book will be published with the others Judy wrote this morning, 'When Mom and Pop leave I play loud music and mime even though I know it's silly', 'The kids at school call me bad names And I Pretend Not To Care But Really I Do And When I Go Home I Cry Because I Am A Painfully One-Dimensional, Bland Stereotyped Adolescent Delineated In The Most Patronising Way Possible By A Condescending Multi-Millionaire' and 'Girls Don't Wank'.

http://www.aaanything.net/53779/pictorial/funny/books-didnt-know-existed/

:S Judy Blume was the only one who wrote that girls did wank.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 15th July 2017, 12:33 PM

http://www.aaanything.net/53779/pictorial/funny/books-didnt-know-existed/

That is, in the words of Shakespeare, totally awesome. Come to think (that's my brain in reverse) I remember Malcolm Saville books now.

I have to say that extract sounds like a load of boring shite, but I've never even heard of this writer, far less read any of her books.

If you're talking about the Judy Blume post that was very much not an excerpt from her. That was an excerpt from Michael's brain.

Judy Blume's f**king brilliant. :)

Quote: zooo @ 15th July 2017, 12:36 PM

:S Judy Blume was the only one who wrote that girls did wank.

Probably more than men and the plethora of gadgets speaks volumes. David Brent hit the nail on the head with his bold statement "women are dirty".