Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? Page 4

Think you've missed my point there, slightly.

(And Gordon, I saw what you said.) :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Hickson

Bill "Compo" Owen plays Thelma's dad and also Biggins appears in it.

Quote: zooo @ 21st January 2016, 9:41 PM GMT

(And Gordon, I saw what you said.) :D

;)

Am I the only one here that can't see the fascination with this show? I think it's ok but I was disapponted after all the good things I heard about it. I had very high expectations also because I love Porridge.

I like both actors and the basic idea but it never really clicked with me. I found it difficult to sit through both series. My second watch didn't change my mind. I think it would have worked better as a drama series, especially because of Bolam's convincing dramatic performance.

Well you didn't grow up watching it so the references - which of course were contemporary - don't mean a lot to you. (And you're foreign!)

Quote: Chappers @ 21st January 2016, 10:28 PM GMT

Well you didn't grow up watching it so the references - which of course were contemporary - don't mean a lot to you. (And you're foreign!)

Probably.
It's strange because I usually I like the dramatic/melancholic aspects in comedy, that's why I love the later OFAH episodes. But not with this show. I even prefer the black and white episodes of the Likely Lads which have far less depth.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st January 2016, 10:36 PM GMT

Probably.
It's strange because I usually I like the dramatic/melancholic aspects in comedy, that's why I love the later OFAH episodes. But not with this show. I even prefer the black and white episodes of the Likely Lads which have far less depth.

Strikes a chord with me on so many levels, and that's why it appeals - not a big fan of OFAH as I can't relate to it as much.

Quote: zooo @ 21st January 2016, 8:49 PM GMT

*reads back over the thread*
Here's a challenge for you all. Try to mention a female from this show without only talking about whether you want to give her one.

Like you want to just hold Norm's hand. Whistling nnocently

I love Drama as a station but they've just started back to Episode 1 again after finishing it off.

I wish they wouldn't do this and show a different series instead. They can repeat it some months later. They did the same thing with Goodnight Sweetheart and probably As Time Goes By.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th February 2016, 6:11 PM GMT

I love Drama as a station but they've just started back to Episode 1 again after finishing it off.

I wish they wouldn't do this and show a different series instead. They can repeat it some months later. They did the same thing with Goodnight Sweetheart and probably As Time Goes By.

Sadly that seems to happen on most channels that rely on repeating old shows. I have to set the day's viewing for my father (I'm his carer) while I'm at work. They seem show the same three or four series of All Creatures Great and Small on a loop. ITV3 do the same with Heartbeat, they only seem to show the last one or two series over and over. I'm pretty sure it ran for over 15 years.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st January 2016, 10:36 PM GMT

Probably.

I'm a fan of Clement and La Frenais, Porridge is great and Auf Wiedersehen Pet is one of my all time favourite shows, but for some reason I don't find Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads even remotely funny or moving at all. I don't even find the characters likable in the slightest.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st January 2016, 11:12 PM GMT

Like you want to just hold Norm's hand. Whistling nnocently

And if The Walking Dead thread (for example) was full of girls discussing how great the show and the writers and the female actors were, but only mentioned males at all to say how much they want to give them one, you'd have a point.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 10th February 2016, 7:16 PM GMT

I'm a fan of Clement and La Frenais, Porridge is great and Auf Wiedersehen Pet is one of my all time favourite shows, but for some reason I don't find Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads even remotely funny or moving at all. I don't even find the characters likable in the slightest.

:O

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 10th February 2016, 7:16 PM GMT

:O :O

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th February 2016, 8:53 PM GMT

:O

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 10th February 2016, 11:35 PM GMT

:O :O

If it helps, I do think James Bolam as always, gives a great performance. I think the best he's ever been in anything is in the film Plague Dogs.

I'm afraid a reunion is never going to happen, and probably never should really. I'm just glad to remember it as one of my all time favourite sitcoms, and the nostalgia angle (cars, clothes, decor, etc) make it even more of a joy. My box set would be on the desert island with me!

Just watching the first series of WHTLL and I am just on the episode where Bob marries Thelma.

Wonderfully funny comedy, totally different from later sitcoms of 80 onwards. Many of the scenes are just the 2 of them talking and the observational comedy I find excellent. Sure it is a bit dated but funny is funny.

What I also found interesting is the opening titles. In some it starts with 'Starring Rodney Bewes', in others it start with 'Starring James Bolam'; most start with Rodney Bewes. Does anyone know the reason behind this?

Quote: smc4761 @ 4th January 2017, 7:27 PM

What I also found interesting is the opening titles. In some it starts with 'Starring Rodney Bewes', in others it start with 'Starring James Bolam'; most start with Rodney Bewes. Does anyone know the reason behind this?

I believe that it actually alternates from one episode to the next. And that the closing credits are the opposite to what the opening credits were on each episode.. That way, clearly, neither actor had precedence over the other.