Monty Python is dreadful Page 16

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd September 2015, 10:57 PM BST

Parrot fashion.

Angela Merkel celebrates by touching her parrot so it laughs. She's in a polly-tickle party.

Quote: MrIntelligent Dude @ 11th December 2010, 3:37 PM GMT

The following is an opinion on perhaps the most overrated show to ever grace British TV...

I have a group of colleagues who never stop quoting Monty Python (which is pitiful in itself). They are obsessed with the show/movies and constatntly tell me I'm 'sad' for not liking it.

Here's the thing: I've watched Python when it used to be on all the time on British TV. I even watched the spin-off films too. They just aren't funny. Not one bit.

I watched Life of Brian and Holy Grail and almost fell asleep because they bored me to tears. I've noticed one thing with the Python team: they try too hard to be funny. As a result, the 'comedic' deliveries look forced and unnatural, and, therefore, not humourous at all.

Genuinely funny comedy (British) would be the likes of The Office, Blackadder or Only Fools and Horses. These have good writing, excellent delivery and are sheer brilliance.

The only reason people like Python is because they're trying to impress their friends that they have 'sophisticated' wit (aka 'I don't find the sketches funny but I'll pretend to because that means I'm cool, right?').

I can't think why anyone would find Life of Brian or Holy Grail funny and it is disgraceful these films are listed in the imdb top 250. Then again, the list has films like Kick Ass and Inception amongst the 'greatest' films so it's hardly surprising a lot of weak movies make the list.

Anyone who claims to enjoy Python, in my opinion, only does so in a pathetic effort to impress their peers. Which is disgraceful.

You're of course entitled to your opinion, but to label those who enjoy a proven, successful show such as Python as 'pathetic' who only enjoy it to 'impress their peers' is a bit ludicrous and very much a paranoid theory.

I totally get why anyone would dislike any one thing because those around them happen to love it, which makes you hate it even more - but don't judge those for enjoying a show and make assumptions on why they enjoy it.

Quote: Haywired @ 20th September 2015, 9:29 PM BST

I've also seen the Four Yorkshiremen sketch and do think that is funny.

And that's not even a Python sketch!

Quote: Aaron @ 27th September 2015, 12:28 PM BST

And that's not even a Python sketch!

Is it not? Oh dear...

It's from At Last The 1948 Show and was written by Tim Brooke-Taylor.

Quote: Haywired @ 27th September 2015, 10:40 PM BST

Is it not? Oh dear...

It involved a couple of them though and I think they may have done it in their recent stage shows.

There are some very average sketches in the show and the animation by Gilliam was pretty great and original at the time (so I'm told) it's quite tiresome to sit through now

But on the whole, I think it's more funnier than not, and the very best sketches are some of the best to grace television.

It was indeed truly hit and miss but it did have its moments. Nasty gangs of old ladiies, for example.

i thought the old ladies sketch one of the worst(andthat's saying quite a bit)
gumby can f**k off and all
still love the films
but God dam that TV
was a steaming hot mess

Quote: gon gon @ 21st April 2016, 2:51 PM BST

i thought the old ladies sketch one of the worst(andthat's saying quite a bit)
gumby can f**k off and all
still love the films
but God dam that TV
was a steaming hot mess

Please remind me of exactly why you're on a forum dedicated to 'British Comedy' as you seem to dislike 99.999% of it?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 21st April 2016, 3:17 PM BST

Please remind me of exactly why you're on a forum dedicated to 'British Comedy' as you seem to dislike 99.999% of it?

Trolling possibly

Quote: Sarc @ 15th May 2016, 3:35 PM

Trolling possibly

he does seem to like his trolling
just let him get on with it

Dated certainly, but with gold in them blue remembered hills. And for those of an age, a feast in the memory more than in the tasting maybe, but a feast still

Quote: TheRappingFrenchman @ 26th October 2015, 9:57 AM

It was indeed truly hit and miss but it did have its moments. Nasty gangs of old ladiies, for example.

The Young Ones stole - sorry, paid homage to that.
People remember the awesome moments, which made up for the poo.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 21st April 2016, 3:17 PM

not going to pretend its all great
but there's a lot to love