Things that piss you off Page 1,641

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th January 2016, 7:20 PM GMT

Never understood why the Americans call their "sport" football, when as far as I can see they spend the whole time chucking the ball from one end of the field to the other.

The forward pass only became legal about a hundred years ago, long after the sport was named. There are usually more runs than passes in a game and there are still many kicks every game.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th January 2016, 7:20 PM GMT

Never understood why the Americans call their "sport" football, when as far as I can see they spend the whole time chucking the ball from one end of the field to the other. >_<

It's more like "Running around carrying the ball and then throwing it forward which any fule can do and kicking it occasionally."

And don't forget all the padding and structures plus helmet so you don't hurt ya likkle self.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th January 2016, 9:00 PM GMT

And don't forget all the padding and structures plus helmet so you don't hurt ya likkle self.

I won't offend the weak-of-stomach by posting any of the hundreds of photos of compound fractures and "that joint shouldn't bend in that direction" cringe inducers, but you need to remember that NFL players are very large, very heavy and very fast and their collisions are quite violent.

In the 2015 NFL season, of the 1,746 active NFL players, the average weight was 246 pounds. There are a total of 403 players that weighed in at or over 300 pounds and a total of 5 players over the 350 pound mark.

The helmets and padding aren't only necessary, they're still insufficient. I read about a study that said 96% of NFL players that were examined showed signs of brain injury due to repeated concussions. There's even a major Hollywood film about the prevalence of brain injury in the NFL.

But it's really a Catch 22 situation. The more padding you wear the more you need.

It's just futuristic rugby.

Quote: zooo @ 20th January 2016, 7:21 PM GMT

And why is rugby called rugby when there's no rugs?

Nor bees.

Dr's dishing out off label pills.My oh's dad is mentally buggered now,all because he wanted a good night's sleep.Bastards.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 21st January 2016, 7:05 AM GMT

Dr's dishing out off label pills.My oh's dad is mentally buggered now,all because he wanted a good night's sleep.Bastards.

I assume that's sleeping tablets? My GP refused to prescribe them for me because of their addictive nature. My MIL became hooked on them after my FIL's death back in the mid 90s.

In my paper today there was an article about "Mother in Laws!"

IT'S FUCKING MOTHERS IN LAW THICKOES!!!!

Quote: Chappers @ 21st January 2016, 6:25 PM GMT

Ah, Oedipus inlaw complex. Tell me more.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st January 2016, 6:25 PM GMT

In my paper today there was an article about "Mother in Laws!"

Well if you will read the Daily Star, what do you expect. :P

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 21st January 2016, 1:34 PM GMT

I assume that's sleeping tablets? My GP refused to prescribe them for me because of their addictive nature. My MIL became hooked on them after my FIL's death back in the mid 90s.

Good for him (and you)
:)

Pre-set buttons on modern radios which change stations of their own accord.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 21st January 2016, 10:38 PM GMT

Pre-set buttons on modern radios which change stations of their own accord.

Doesn't happen with mine. Cool Quality?