That Friday Quiz Page 175

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd December 2015, 12:09 PM GMT

And the answer to OR's Brucie bonus of number 21? Was it Davy Jones of the Monkees?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 22nd December 2015, 3:12 PM GMT

2. Lunar eclipse.

4. My future wife.

21. The Monkees

Whistling nnocently

Quote: Nil Putters @ 23rd December 2015, 1:34 PM GMT

zooo?! Merry f**king Christmas!

Bestiality on a major scale ! Keep away from the nativity play.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 23rd December 2015, 2:35 PM GMT

Whistling nnocently

Yes, OK I did notice (not really Laughing out loud ), it was more a case of winding up "Sir" because it wasn't on the answer sheet,then he didn't answer my query as to where the pictures were for question 20 - perhaps we should all be physic (sic) (before any smart arse picks me up on that) or maybe we need a new question setter if he is getting too old for the job. Whistling nnocently

5. David Beckham? (looks like him)

19. What links the pictures -Russia? Russian orthodox Priest, raspberry pavlova, samovar and one of the wombles had a russian name but I can't tell you what it was without looking it up. Guessing Helen Mirren was born in Soviet union and real name was Vladimir Ilyich Mirren or something similar.

7. Mercedes-Benz

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 23rd December 2015, 5:22 PM GMT

5. David Beckham? (looks like him)

19. What links the pictures -Russia? Russian orthodox Priest, raspberry pavlova, samovar and one of the wombles had a russian name but I can't tell you what it was without looking it up. Guessing Helen Mirren was born in Soviet union and real name was Vladimir Ilyich Mirren or something similar.

I reckon you're close, but think it maybe one of his sons?

Also our resident "What's the Connection" expert JohnnyD had already answered No. 19 ;)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd December 2015, 3:43 PM GMT

Yes, OK I did notice (not really Laughing out loud ), he didn't answer my query as to where the pictures were for question 20 - Whistling nnocently

Sorry I must have copied & pasted the picture wrong
my fault, apologies

steve do you a have Christmas Quiz we could do this year

6 Cock Robin

8 Suzanne Charlton

10 Echinus

Quote: george roper @ 24th December 2015, 9:44 AM GMT

It's not Friday yet - and if you notice you'll see he's about 2 months behind so we should get one in February.

Quote: Chappers @ 24th December 2015, 4:10 PM GMT

It's not Friday yet - and if you notice you'll see he's about 2 months behind so we should get one in February.

He always makes me smile. Goes on and on about a new one and then if there's not an obvious answer (OFAH or OTB for e.g.), is flummoxed.

Friday Quiz 9th October 2015
1. Which clothing manufacturer and retailer filed for bankruptcy this week? American Apparel
2. The creator of which famous fictional detective died this week? Kurt Wallander (Henning Mankell)
3. What do the numbers go up to on a roulette wheel? 36
4. Who is this? Cruz Beckham

5. Which actor suffered such bad stage fright during a West End play in the mid 90s that he left the country? Stephen Fry
6. Whom, according to the rhyme, did the fly see die? Cock Robin
7. Which car manufacturing company was named after the young daughter of a racing enthusiast? Mercedes
8. Which daughter of a famous footballer was a weather forecaster for the BBC? Suzanne Charlton (daughter of Sir Bobby)
9. What links these two pictures? Songs by Half Man Half Biscuit ("All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit" and "Dicky Davies Eyes")

10. What 'E' is shown here? Entablature
11. What is the chemical element found in all proteins? Nitrogen is the answer my source gave, but I gather that Oxygen, Carbon and Hydrogen are also correct.
12. In which ballet does a young man become infatuated with a life-sized doll that can dance? Coppelia
13. Name the film. Mystic River
14. What is the Latin word that means 'word-by-word'? Verbatim
15. Bathroom scales coul be described as a simple type of computer. What type? Analogue computer ( as opposed to digital)
16. Who led the Sioux onslaught against General Custer at the Battle of Little Big Horn? Sitting Bull
17. Name the character Viktor Krum from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

18. I have an appointment in Bordeaux at 2pm. If I leave home and cycle at 15mph I will arrive at 1pm; if I cycle at 10mph, I won't arrive until 3pm. How far is it from my house to Bordeaux? 60 miles. See workings below

19. What connects these pictures: Russia. (Russian Orthodox bishop; Charlotte Russe; Helen Mirren (of Russian descent); a samovar; Tomsk)

20. Unscramble the two words : A D D E E I O O O Q R S U W REDWOOD & SEQUOIA
21. 3
Maths workings

This requires some basic algebra and use of the formula distance = rate x time. Let the distance in question be d, and let t be the time it takes to travel distance d at 15 mph. Then the time it takes to travel distance d at 10 mph will be t + 2 hours. So we have the two equations:
d=15t and d=10(t+2)
So therefore 15t = 10(t+2)
which with a little manipulation gives t = 4.
Since d=15t we get distance d = 60 miles.

Quote: george roper @ 24th December 2015, 9:44 AM GMT

Merry Christmas George

4. Love Actually.
10. Ben Affleck.

9. Belgium?