Absent friends Page 147

Herc's a bit grumpy today...is it full moon?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st December 2015, 9:02 PM GMT

Herc's a bit grumpy today...is it full moon?

Pet hate of mine, this insidious creep of American words into the English language when we have perfectly good and suitable words. I'll leave it there before I go into overdrive.

I think it's cool that we get to use whatever words we choose. American language is as beautiful and poetic as any other. Anyone who chooses to restrict their lives to small boring boxes because of tradition could be considered an ass for a life wasted worrying about such nonsense.

I'm with Herc because it doesn't stop at words.I give you 'Happy f**king holidays.'

Merry Christmas.

But I don't celebrate Christmas?

Happy holidays!

Thanks, but I'm not happy...

Quote: keewik @ 22nd December 2015, 12:06 AM GMT

I'm with Herc because it doesn't stop at words.I give you 'Happy f**king holidays.'

Surely we English would appreciate holidays devoted to f**king.

Quote: Loopey @ 22nd December 2015, 8:36 AM GMT

As long as there's a plentiful supply of Ralgex then it's a great concept.

Quote: keewik @ 22nd December 2015, 12:06 AM GMT

Thank you keewik. :)

Quote: Lee @ 21st December 2015, 11:55 PM GMT

I think it's cool that we get to use whatever words we choose. American language is as beautiful and poetic as any other. Anyone who chooses to restrict their lives to small boring boxes because of tradition could be considered an ass for a life wasted worrying about such nonsense.

I will not stoop so low as to denigrate somebody as you seem to have a want to do with personal insults just because they have a pride in their language and wish to uphold it, and you are so, so wrong in saying what you have about the American language, which is a bastardisation of various, primarily English - the language that is truly poetic.

It is inevitable I suppose with the amount of American television etc. we have in this country that these colloquialisms/words will insidiously creep into our language, but that doesn't mean all of us has to accept it - it being a crying shame it happens.

You carry on being "cool" if you think that is smart and the way to go, as they say - ignorance is bliss.

Roscoff sure hasn't been in these parts for a while
I hope the dude's Ok

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd December 2015, 9:42 AM GMT

I will not stoop so low as to denigrate somebody as you seem to have a want to do with personal insults just because they have a pride in their language and wish to uphold it, and you are so, so wrong in saying what you have about the American language, which is a bastardisation of various, primarily English - the language that is truly poetic.

It is inevitable I suppose with the amount of American television etc. we have in this country that these colloquialisms/words will insidiously creep into our language, but that doesn't mean all of us has to accept it - it being a crying shame it happens.

You carry on being "cool" if you think that is smart and the way to go, as they say - ignorance is bliss.

You are right, we don't all have to accept your opinion. Those of us who use the words we wish to use should not be criticised because we don't share that opinion.

Quote: Loopey @ 22nd December 2015, 8:36 AM GMT

I'm with Herc......Bro's before ho's :)

I will not stoop so low as to denigrate somebody as you seem to have a want to do with personal insults...

It was an excuse to use the word "ass" is all, guv! :)

Our language didn't just happen though, it evolved through many others across Europe and maybe even further.

Words come and go for a reason, they aren't popular or needed.

I'm not saying you're wrong and that we shouldn't preserve words and keep traditions up but I know there's room for both and I welcome it.

I will not stoop so low as to denigrate somebody as you seem to have a want to do with personal insults... ignorance is bliss.

:$ How embarrassing.

Quote: Loopey @ 22nd December 2015, 10:07 AM GMT

You are right, we don't all have to accept your opinion. Those of us who use the words we wish to use should not be criticised because we don't share that opinion.

It wasn't my intention that my original post came across as brusque if that was the case and I certainly wouldn't want to change your mind; if that is what you want to do, and uphold your right under the Fifth Amendment - whatever that is, I have no idea but it sounds good and that is the one usually quoted.

Ooh, smells quite fresh in here now. Wave

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 22nd December 2015, 10:24 AM GMT

I'm with Herc......Bro's before ho's :)

Thanks Steve for your support**, I think. :S

** I hope you washed it. Don't want to catch any lurgi off you.