The Brittas Empire (possible revival)

Hi, didn't see a thread about this. What does everyone think?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/gordon-brittas-back-smarmy-leisure-6021999

I'm... Not sure. I loved this when I was kid but reckon it could be a bit dated.

I really like Chris Barrie so I wouldn't mind the show coming back. In fact, Chris Barrie is the ONLY thing that made me watch BE in its original run, I don't think that the show is particularly great or clever. Some of the secondary characters were rather pointless (some of the staff), others annoying (Brittas's wife)...I like Colin and Brittas's PA though.

Watched half of one episode at the time and found it poor, and certainly a waste of CB's talent.

I liked how surreal it was, but watching it about a year ago it seems to have dated much more than say, OFITG. The 'children in the air conditioning system' was genius though.

I'm looking forward to this as long as Red Dwarf takes priority.
Not much original content connecting with audiences nowadays so I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of these revivals in the future.

It used to feel like everything was an instant classic but now you're lucky to find one gem a year.

I vaguely liked it first time round but it seems a bit crap now. I really can't see the point in bringing it back.

I'd hardly call Brittas an instant classic. I'd say it was a serviceable sitcom with a strong central performance.

I haven't watched it lately but found it much funnier than stuff like On The Buses or It Ain't Half Hot Mum to name but two.

I'm really looking forward to this, mainly because he states that one of th3e original writers, most probably Richard Fegan, is behind it, not the other two who took over in the mid 90s.

Love this series, Series 1-5 were by far the strongest. When they killed Brittas off and then brought him back from the dead it just didn't work. Series 6 and 7 also suffered as the original writers didn't return. With the original writer now back for this special, it sounds very promising indeed. I'd love to see what Brittas and the gang are doing now!

Quote: G180e @ 14th July 2015, 8:57 PM BST

Love this series, Series 1-5 were by far the strongest. When they killed Brittas off and then brought him back from the dead it just didn't work. Series 6 and 7 also suffered as the original writers didn't return. With the original writer now back for this special, it sounds very promising indeed. I'd love to see what Brittas and the gang are doing now!

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing myself! Series 1-5 were masterpieces of dark comedy; brilliant little glowing gems unlike anything else on TV. They certainly jumped the shark when he came back to life. Plus, they changed his very character. Brittas did things for all the right reasons with a kind and noble heart, he was just totally misdirected and yutzed up in making them come out right. In the last couple of series, he was just plain mean and lost his charm. But I'll have to check it out.