Why did 'Oh Dr Beeching!' end? Page 3

Now that I'm currently watching Hi-De-Hi and You Rang I'm quite interested in this one as well. But the DVD set is shockingly expensive everywhere I was looking for it (Amazon, Play.com). Is there any chance for this show to be released in a new edition for a more reasonable price?

Quote: David Smith @ 20th June 2013, 9:01 PM BST

Sorry to bump a old thread. I want to watch this as I work on the railways.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 5th January 2015, 9:18 PM GMT

Is there any chance for this show to be released in a new edition for a more reasonable price?

Not sure what the price is at the moment, but it already has been re-released and been more reasonable. It's probably expensive because it's been deleted and is only available second-hand and rare new.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th January 2015, 9:24 PM GMT

Not sure what the price is at the moment, but it already has been re-released and been more reasonable. It's probably expensive because it's been deleted and is only available second-hand and rare new.

The complete set is about 60£ on Amazon and it was released in 2009. So, that doesn't look too good.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 5th January 2015, 9:31 PM GMT

The complete set is about 60£ on Amazon and it was released in 2009. So, that doesn't look too good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oh-Doctor-Beeching-Complete-First-and-Second-Series-DVD-/121528958073?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item1c4bb0bc79

Quote: Oldrocker @ 6th January 2015, 1:11 AM GMT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oh-Doctor-Beeching-Complete-First-and-Second-Series-DVD-/121528958073?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item1c4bb0bc79

Sadly this seller only posts to UK.

The other question is why no repeats? I was in touch with the co-writer Richard Spendlove a few years back (he also popped up in episodes as a BR official) and he couldn't get any sense out of the BBC regarding this matter. Plenty of folk would like to view the series again. The concept of the programme was quite charming, a remote, rural railway station under threat of closure by the contemptible Dr Beeching.

To be honest, the idea was very similar to Parsley Sidings, an early 70s radio sitcom starring other Croft stars such as Arthur Lowe and Ian Lavender. Some of the staff were running rackets, some were bone idle or incompetent, some were amorous...

All good solid sitcom stuff.

I really love this. I find the setting the characters and the detail fabulous. I think it's very underrated, and I much prefer this to shows like Allo Allo. I love the charm it has and it just works well together. Shame it was only 2 series, as I would have liked a 3rd to wrap up the story.

Ironically, a victim of cutbacks like the Beeching-era rail network itself.
Don't remember this being much good personally, though have not seen it recently. Much preferred Hi-De-Hi!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 29th July 2020, 1:28 PM

Ironically, a victim of cutbacks like the Beeching-era rail network itself.
Don't remember this being much good personally, though have not seen it recently. Much preferred Hi-De-Hi!

I thought Hi De Hi was the weakest one out of the 3. You Rang M'Lord was the best one out of the 3 I thought.