Status report Page 5,782

Quote: Ben @ 15th April 2015, 8:27 PM BST

I'm awful at swimming. I can't even do backstroke without drowning.

However, I've been going for a few weeks now. Just need to start swimming with my head under water to be more streamlined.

I do, though, constantly feel like I'm going to drown if I get water up my nose, so this may take some practice.

I'd advise you wear a nose clip, Ben.
I had much the same problem with water up my nose. It was one of the chief reasons I disliked swimming, always leaving the baths as The Chlorine Kid.
But the nose clip has solved that one nicely.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 15th April 2015, 8:30 PM BST

How many lengths do you do Ben? Genuinely. I should be thinking I'm enjoying it or it is doing me good but my mind is on how long I have been there, how much have I done and is it sufficient not to make me look like a total lightweight. I do fully recognise I am invisible and nobody gives a flying toss once they have got the money. But it is essentially a matter of self-justification, ie did I do it right?

I swim in a small hotel pool. I'd say it's only about ten meters in length. So I put in greater numbers to make up for it.
I go four times a week and swim forty lengths each time, thereby totalling roughly a mile a week. But I'm told that is a little above the norm - and it did take me a long time to get to such a routine.
Had I tried this from the start I would have drowned, plain and simple.

I'd also advise getting a waterproof mp3 player. They do have a limited lifespan, but they do help with the monotony.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 15th April 2015, 10:13 PM BST

I'd advise you wear a nose clip, Ben.
I had much the same problem with water up my nose. It was one of the chief reasons I disliked swimming, always leaving the baths as The Chlorine Kid.
But the nose clip has solved that one nicely.

I swim in a small hotel pool. I'd say it's only about ten meters in length. So I put in greater numbers to make up for it.
I go four times a week and swim forty lengths each time, thereby totalling roughly a mile a week. But I'm told that is a little above the norm - and it did take me a long time to get to such a routine.
Had I tried this from the start I would have drowned, plain and simple.

I'd also advise getting a waterproof mp3 player. They do have a limited lifespan, but they do help with the monotony.

That's 400m a session and 1600m a week. Is that the new just-over-average? Good lord. Though it is impressive. The music is an interesting idea but I just can't imagine doing it. I've never been able to have any accessory - watch, ring, briefcase, umbrella, mobile phone. I get into a big muddle with such things. It is bad enough coping with a locker key and number. And I need to know who is around me.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 15th April 2015, 10:25 PM BST

That's 400m a session and 1600m a week. Is that the new just-over-average? Good lord. Though it is impressive. The music is an interesting idea but I just can't imagine doing it. I've never been able to have any accessory - watch, ring, briefcase, umbrella, mobile phone. I get into a big muddle with such things. It is bad enough coping with a locker key and number. And I need to know who is around me.

Well, it's all breast stroke (albeit with head in water) and only the first 100 m are uninterrupted.
In short, one paces oneself.
Were it not for my back being what it is, I'd not do all this.

The first few times I went I could count myself lucky to do ten or twenty.
Without a visit soon after.
But by sticking at it and gradually building things up, I got to this routine. It took about two years. Helps the back a great deal.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 15th April 2015, 10:35 PM BST

Well, it's all breast stroke (albeit with head in water) and only the first 100 m are uninterrupted.
In short, one paces oneself.
Were it not for my back being what it is, I'd not do all this.

The first few times I went I could count myself lucky to do ten or twenty.
Without a visit soon after.
But by sticking at it and gradually building things up, I got to this routine. It took about two years. Helps the back a great deal.

I can't do breast stroke or butterfly. It sounds like you really suffer with your back. I'm sorry to hear it. I've never had lower back pain but now have all kinds of problems from the neck to my middle. GPs don't get it at all. Stress has been known to send me dropping to the floor and even passing out but I can come across as quite relaxed and at times very confident. Only those who have seen it really know. Some of it comes from having lurid/vivid thoughts. I reckon swimming is good for switching off.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 15th April 2015, 10:39 PM BST

I can't do breast stroke or butterfly. It sounds like you really suffer with your back. I'm sorry to hear it. I've never had lower back pain but now get all kinds of problems from the neck to my middle. GPs don't get it at all. Stress has been known to send me dropping to the floor and even passing out but I can come across as very confident and even quite relaxed. Only those who have seen it really know. Some of it comes from having lurid and vivid thoughts. I reckon swimming is good for switching off.

Yes, swimming can be pretty therapeutic.
If you can dive underwater for a useful time, you can float about pretty weightlessly, which is quite meditative.
Music can help with that a great deal too.
So yes, I feel it does also help to de-stress.
Again, it depends much on the pool you're in. If it's a public swimming bath with the latest St Trinian's primary school intake on the loose, it doesn't do much for relaxation.
But if you can find yourself a quiet pool, it can be just the ticket.

I saw a couple of hang-gliders flying off Box Hill this evening. Reminded me of the Fools and Horses episode. One of the greats. I love Rodney's face when he doesn't do what Del expects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G7foe3IGwc

Quote: Chappers @ 15th April 2015, 11:14 PM BST

I saw a couple of hang-gliders flying off Box Hill this evening. Reminded me of the Fools and Horses episode. One of the greats. I love Rodney's face when he doesn't do what Del expects.

Wonderful. Rodney's expression says 'revenge is a dish best served cold' in that scene.

Billwyll is too type to drunk.

Hic!

Quote: Chappers @ 15th April 2015, 11:14 PM BST

Like it. :)

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 15th April 2015, 10:47 PM BST

Yes, swimming can be pretty therapeutic.
If you can dive underwater for a useful time, you can float about pretty weightlessly, which is quite meditative.
Music can help with that a great deal too.
So yes, I feel it does also help to de-stress.
Again, it depends much on the pool you're in. If it's a public swimming bath with the latest St Trinian's primary school intake on the loose, it doesn't do much for relaxation.
But if you can find yourself a quiet pool, it can be just the ticket.

Up to eight lengths in a new pool today. It was also 25m. Thought I was doing alright but as soon as I stopped for a short breather a woman lifeguard kindly asked me if everything was ok. Yes thank you. It turned out I had unwittingly selected the half thoughtfully marked off as being for "Over 50s".

Once again, there is that realisation of how we fully accepted the line of our parents' generations that they would be young even if they reached 100 whereas the current 20s to early 40s are not intending to buy it from those slightly older in any way. The reasoning is probably best described as complex.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 16th April 2015, 6:35 PM BST

Like it. :)

Up to eight lengths in a new pool today. It was also 25m. Thought I was doing alright but as soon as I stopped for a short breather a woman lifeguard kindly asked me if everything was ok. Yes thank you. It turned out I had unwittingly selected the half thoughtfully marked off as being for "Over 50s".

Once again, there is that realisation of how we fully accepted the line of our parents' generations that they would be young even if they reached 100 whereas the current 20s to early 40s are not intending to buy it from those slightly older in any way. The reasoning is probably best described as complex.

So to get this right, you were swimming in the sudden death elimination lane?
:)

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 16th April 2015, 7:01 PM BST

So to get this right, you were swimming in the sudden death elimination lane?
:)

Yes and the only one there who wasn't using cleavage to signify being in rude health. :S

Quote: A Horseradish @ 15th April 2015, 9:43 PM BST

Think the one I was at yesterday is a 25 m.

I did six. Two were broken. Similar I reckon. :)

I started off trying 25m lengths, but it was knackering me too much. I think I splash about a bit too much as well.

Still, I'll be going this weekend again and will work on my technique a bit. Going to take goggles, too, to help with the whole underwater vibe.

Wish the guys sitting two tables away knew how to use their inside voice. Weirdly one of them just had a phone conversation and managed it.

Quote: Ben @ 16th April 2015, 9:00 PM BST

I started off trying 25m lengths, but it was knackering me too much. I think I splash about a bit too much as well.

Still, I'll be going this weekend again and will work on my technique a bit. Going to take goggles, too, to help with the whole underwater vibe.

Good luck with it, Ben.

All the best people splash about too much. :)