Derek - Series 2 Page 4

Loved tonight's one, just brillant.

Really enjoyed series 1. Series 2 seems to have really suffered with the departure of Karl Pilkington. All the comedy now comes from Kev, and because of that the show is having to lean more and more heavily on him for laughs, and so the filth-factor has been ramped up considerably. This is one of the dirtiest comedies I've seen in a long time.

Dougie used to pull Kev up on his degenerate ways, and there was comedy in that, but now that he's gone Kev goes largely unchallenged and now it just makes even less sense that Kev would be allowed to be there. I mean come on - lying on the floor, being allowed to look up old ladies' skirts? It doesn't just stretch the boundaries of plausibility, it smashes them to pieces.

There are also bizarre moments that just seem to go nowhere. The introduction of Kev's brother in episode 3 for instance. His arrival was set-up in the script, he arrived...then, nothing. He just left. He seems to have only existed to illustrate the gag that there is actually someone out there worse than Kev. His introduction brought nothing at all to the story. And Derek's Dad...why is he there? It was quite a sweet way to end series 1 with Derek being reunited with his Dad but I don't see the purpose of him living with Derek at the old folks home. I'd assumed that Derek's Dad would prove to be a nightmare, getting pissed and raising Hell so much at the place that Derek would be forced to ask him to leave, therefore creating comedy and dramatic tension etc, but no. He's a bit of a lady's man but apart from that he's been as good as gold. Having said that I'm only up to episode 4 so I live in hope.

Anyway, that's my two penneth worth. It's a shame because Derek can be a joy when it hits the right notes. These episodes feel like early drafts to me.

Hi Lee always good to see you again.

I think this kinda proves my theory on series one. It was an excellent Karl Pilkington sitcom with him as that rare thing a funny straight man, to Kev and occasionally Ricky. I really hope somebody notices this and gives him his own show because it's really nothing without him.

As it is the poverty of the writing can be seen in the old bloke with a wig. Levered into the script so they can keep doing baldy jokes, why is going bald that funny.

That and the clearly but drearily insane new caretaker.

As I understand it Karl has decided that acting isn't for him, unfortunately. Our loss :(

Oh he's taking the piss, isn't he.

That's like hearing Van Gogh decided to open a pie shop because painting was no fun.

I think without him, the hollowness of the Derek character as a cypher is just so strong.

The only entertainment I'm getting from Derek is some of the creative poo people are throwing at it.

http://www.mbedd.com/derek/derekanddonald.html

I managed to watch 3 episodes of Derek Series 2 last night before giving up. If it wasn't the departure of Pilkington that killed an already wobbly show, it was the toxic level of 'sincere' moments coupled with Gervais's Derek. What/Who on earth is Derek actually meant to be? I don't get it. It's just 22 minutes of Ricky Gervais jutting his jaw and saying things like, 'b-b-b-be nice to animals, cos they is nice'.

He's really dropped the ball on this one, big time.

I really cannot believe you all hate it. I really love it, I personally think it is one of the best TV series I have seen and even though Karl Pilkington has departed from the show - it has still been as good, David Earl is excellent as Kev; Kerry Godliman is good as Hannah; Holli Dempsey also plays an excellent part in the role of Vicky and of course Ricky is great as Derek but I'm still not sure what to make of Geoff. He seems like he's hiding something!

Karl's brand of straight talking comic relief in series one worked well because it was basically Karl in a wig being Karl. That's funny and Derek needs a lot more funny to overcome the sickening over use of sentimentality and the hack eyed handling of the elderly and the mentally disabled.

Karl was just papering over the cracks. With him or without him, it's still deeply flawed.

Quote: G180e @ 21st May 2014, 4:33 PM BST

I really cannot believe you all hate it.

Another hater here, sorry. I spend the majority of each episode just shaking my head. It's hard to believe that it's written by the once brilliant Gervais.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ 21st May 2014, 4:52 PM BST

Another hater here, sorry. I spend the majority of each episode just shaking my head. It's hard to believe that it's written by the once brilliant Gervais.

Completely agree with you

Just watched episodes 3 and 4 last night, to be honest it is getting a bit better but compared to what else is out there it's just plain awful. Last night I also watched the first 4 episodes of the new Louie series and considering Louis CK and Ricky Gervais are supposed to be contemporaries the difference is astounding. Louie is virtually perfect and Derek is virtually shite.

Ricky Gervais - please do somethng else and forget about this Derek nonsense.

Quote: Mikey88 @ 21st May 2014, 7:58 PM BST

Last night I also watched the first 4 episodes of the new Louie series and considering Louis CK and Ricky Gervais are supposed to be contemporaries the difference is astounding. Louie is virtually perfect and Derek is virtually shite.

Ricky Gervais - please do somethng else and forget about this Derek nonsense.

Louis was quite clever in hanging around Gervais for a while to get his name out there, now he seems to have dropped him like a hot potato.

The thing with Louis is that he isn't afraid to look stupid and ugly. Ricky lost his ability to self deprecate around mid Extras time. Now he's running on fumes, bringing back Brent (when he said he never would) and putting putrid drivel like Derek out there.

I don't know, it's all very sad to see.

Loved tonight's one, just great and very emotional too. I cried at Kev's artwork of the dog he did for Derek.

Tonight's was just awful

Lord have mercy.

As if old people dying wasn't enough, he's only gawn and killed off the bladdy dawg!

What next? A scene in which Derek tragically loses a Digestive biscuit to a cup of tea mid dunk? "That was my favourtist ever Digestive biscuit in the whole wide world, I loves 'em, they just wants to be tasty, why does everything have to die?"