Newsjack - Series 10 Page 6

The example one liners also don't seem that funny, so I'm glad they've changed that criteria for this series.

Just wondering if the're going for more of a wacky "On the Hour" style with the one-liners.

Quote: Matt Fishwick @ 25th February 2014, 8:44 PM GMT

The example one liners also don't seem that funny, so I'm glad they've changed that criteria for this series.

Mine'll fit right in.

Yeah this new format thing is weird. I can understand the lower limits as they have been getting more popular; but having got into the swing of their one-liners for last series they seem to be going totally different direction now. Anyone know if they actually want news based one-liners or more 'random' ones like the site demos?

(The sketch categories also seems weird but I guess it might be to encourage more spread of sketches on subjects other then 'big silly story of the week'. I had some good ideas for this first week before; totally unsure where I stand now...

Eh?

I've been working on some 'previously on newsjack' one liners (they've done these before just on the first episode) which now seem to be redundant with the new categories. But I do like the sketch categories, it gives me something to focus on.

Stupid question maybe but are we meant to write directly into the sample template??

I think it's just a guide. But I notice (and maybe it's just my computer making the page too long) that their numbers aren't correct on the Victoria Wood sketch.

The template is very similar to the one that I created from the instructions in the old formatting blog post. But this one seems as though I'll actually be able to fit more lines on each page, so I'll be writing directly in it.

I had a brief moment on wondering whether I should move my TSWYW sketches into the new NJ template, but then decided against it. (TSWYW didn't have a problem with it last series, nor did Kirrin Island or 4am Cab.) So for now I won't bother as it would just be a time suck.

Quote: Matt Fishwick @ 26th February 2014, 9:56 AM GMT

The template is very similar to the one that I created from the instructions in the old formatting blog post. But this one seems as though I'll actually be able to fit more lines on each page, so I'll be writing directly in it.

It's Ariel 9 so yes, more room.

Quote: Bonzo @ 26th February 2014, 9:44 AM GMT

I think it's just a guide. But I notice (and maybe it's just my computer making the page too long) that their numbers aren't correct on the Victoria Wood sketch.

Yeah - that leapt out at me along with the 'mty' typo in what should be cue 18 (the final cue).

I mailed them about it.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 26th February 2014, 9:27 AM GMT

Stupid question maybe but are we meant to write directly into the sample template??

I believe so - I know the producers have said that "the templates are easy to use and should hopefully let us just copy and paste into them from whatever we normally write in".

There may be quotes around that, but I'm paraphrasing. It does seem to suggest that we should paste directly into a copy of their rtf document though.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 26th February 2014, 10:38 AM GMT

Yeah - that leapt out at me along with the 'mty' typo in what should be cue 18 (the final cue).

I mailed them about it.

Is the numbering restarting just indicating different mini scenes within the same sketch? (Or am I missing something else because I just skim read it?)

As other forums tend towards posts about the Nazis so the NJ forum tends towards posts about formatting!

If anyone's interested the tickets are now up on the website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/shows/newsjack_marapr14

Quote: StephenM @ 25th February 2014, 11:33 AM GMT

And, let's be honest, except for the commissioned writer has anyone got more than 2 sketches in a single episode?

I once got two sketches in one episode, way back in series 3. :)

I've just read the new format brief and I'm quite likng it. :)

It's very similar to the formats of Watson's Wind Up and News Additional which I worked on for The Comedy Unit.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ 26th February 2014, 11:48 AM GMT

I once got two sketches in one episode, way back in series 3. :)

I got 2 sketches and a 1-liner in (IIRC) the last show of last series... Even though past performance is no guarantee of future performance and comedic rejection can go up as well as down, I'd been hoping to one day better it by hitting 3 sketches, but that's obviously not to be.

Maybe you'll get 2 sketches and 2 one-liners next time. :)