Slapstick can you put a woman through?

Women often get left out of slapstick in comedy, and if the are included they are often odd, eccentric or older women - or strange looking in some way. Also, I find that the slapstick given to women is quite restrained.

Without seeming too offensive or brutal, what kind of slapstick and comedy violence could be meted out to a regular, even attractive young woman?

I have two projects - one in which their is a spoilt young heiress with a bad reputation, and another which is a parody of fairy stories - and they both require the women to be involved in this.

:) And I'm not talking about even just a "Miranda" level of slapstick here (although her ideas are great) - I need enough material for a "Young Ones"/"Bottom" level of slapstick - but involving women.

Todd, this thread feels a bit creepy. Is it just an excuse for a sado-masochistic fantasy?

Todd you can write whatever slapstick you want for whatever sex.

As I said - it is for two projects that I write. I have previously posted both in the critique forum and entered them in The Sitcom Trials. As a male writer, I just try to be careful when writing that, see what other people are doing out there, and see what others think. :)

Also, I have watched some comedy where women are on the receiving end of slapstick, with female friends - and they sometimes comment unfavourably on it. I guess this is a matter of taste - which is why I ask.

Quote: ToddB @ 2nd February 2014, 11:04 AM GMT

Also, I have watched some comedy where women are on the receiving end of slapstick, with female friends - and they sometimes comment unfavourably on it. I guess this is a matter of taste - which is why I ask.

Why not write whatever you find funny and then ask your female friends (or critique) what they think of it?

Miranda Hart does slapstick, as they did in Slap the Pony, if I remember right...

Jim Davidson did a lot of slap stick with his wives apparently.

I've seen slapstick against/with women. I just watched an episode of Community where a woman is a zombie so one of the male characters smacks her - as she was the undead it seemed reasonable. I think it would depend on the relationship if their were spouses it would be weird but if they were siblings there would be a logic to it

Have a look at Michelle Gomez's performances as the mad HR person in Green Wing. That's a pretty good masterclass in slapstick.

Quote: Rupe @ 3rd February 2014, 10:52 AM GMT

Have a look at Michelle Gomez's performances as the mad HR person in Green Wing. That's a pretty good masterclass in slapstick.

I was going to say that although she's attractive in a strange way.

How about Sarah Alexander in "Worst week of my life" Sharon Horgan in various things?

Then of course there is Karen Taylor.......

If it helps, I am writing sitcom and have put my female character (who is young and I reckon pretty attractive, although I haven't said as much in the script) through a lot of pain.

Comedy is cruelty. Your women need to suffer to make them three dimensional and interesting.

"Without seeming too offensive or brutal, what kind of slapstick and comedy violence could be meted out to a regular, even attractive young woman?"

I'm not getting why her being 'attractive' makes a difference?

Surely she's just a comedy character who gets herself in funny situations?

And Morwenna Banks is another one.

Kathy Burke in Harry Enfield and Friends got knocked about a fair bit