Things that piss you off Page 1,363

Nat Wicks?

I must admit I find it tiresome when women self-righteously describe themselves as feminists. It is a bit like proclaiming that you do not believe in slavery or badger baiting.

I'd say I'm tired of the generic grabbing of terms to describe yourself it all seems a bit tired.

A few months ago I was passing by Trafalgar Square for that anonymous bollocks. And there were all these supposed revoloutinaries wearing the V masks on the back of their heads.

Why on the back of their heads. So if they got seen on the telly they could wave at their mates.

Gesture politics are pointless.

If other people calling themselves feminists is all you've got to complain about, I'd say you're having a pretty good day.

Quote: zooo @ 24th January 2014, 5:08 PM GMT

If other people calling themselves feminists is all you've got to complain about, I'd say you're having a pretty good day.

Yeah, it's not bad thanks for asking. Though I'm out about to head out to do some shopping before tackling the washing up and cooking my dinner. Er, because that's what real men do... Errr

Er, okay.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 24th January 2014, 5:20 PM GMT

Yeah, it's not bad thanks for asking. Though I'm out about to head out to do some shopping before tackling the washing up and cooking my dinner. Er, because that's what real men do... Errr then I come home drunk and have rough sex with myself, before weeping into my pillow because it's my fault because I dress slutty.

you're a post feminist big girls blouse

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 24th January 2014, 5:20 PM GMT

Yeah, it's not bad thanks for asking. Though I'm out about to head out to do some shopping before tackling the washing up and cooking my dinner. Er, because that's what real men do... Errr

Make sure you don't buy Quiche then.

Quote: billwill @ 24th January 2014, 7:30 PM GMT

Make sure you don't buy Quiche then.

Note for anyone under 30: Bill is referring to the phrase "real men don't eat Quiche", popularised in the 80's.

Quote: Nogget @ 24th January 2014, 8:18 PM GMT

popularised in the 80's.

The 1880s? Sorry had to get that one in before sooty.

And there's no apostrophe on '80s' - sorry had to get that one in before zooo.

:D

I like to put the apostrophe in between numerals and letters, otherwise they can look ambiguous; 0s looks too much like Os. OK, so 80s isn't ambiguous, but if I'm doing it for 0's, why not be consistent?

Quote: Nogget @ 24th January 2014, 8:29 PM GMT

I like to put the apostrophe in between numerals and letters, otherwise they can look ambiguous; 0s looks too much like Os. OK, so 80s isn't ambiguous, but if I'm doing it for 0's, why not be consistent?

:D

Why not indeed Nogget, knock yourself out.

If you're happy being WRONG!

(You can say '80s. If that helps.)

Quote: zooo @ 24th January 2014, 8:34 PM GMT

If you're happy being WRONG!

(You can say '80s. If that helps.)

OK, let's ask the internet:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/55970/plurals-of-acronyms-letters-numbers-use-an-apostrophe-or-not

"My copy of Practical English Usage, 2nd Edition (Michael Swan, 1995) says this:

Apostrophes are used in the plurals of letters, and often of numbers and abbreviations.

He writes b's instead of d's.
It was in the early 1960's. (OR ... 1960s.) "