Still Open All Hours - 2013 Special Page 9

I liked it. Nice easy going gentle comedy. There is a lot of different comedy out there but nothing like this, it fills a gap in the comedy market that want a nice simplistic old fashioned sitcom. I loved it and hope it gets a full series, it got great ratings as well and would be a hit for the BBC. It's an area of comedy that is not catered for anymore, so please bring it back for a full series. Thumbs up from me.

I didn't think it was that terrible. It didn't add much to the legacy, but I don't think it tarnished the original either.

The plot was fairly gentle and could have been a more interesting, but the Roy Clarke of today isn't going to breaking new ground now.

The only thing that particularly irked me was Granville's son. His whole schtick seemed to be that he was good looking and nothing else. He didn't exactly have the layers and flaws that Granville had in the original series, so I found that disappointing.

Didn't know what to make of it to be honest. The writing was true to the original but I'm not quite sure it worked.

I thought David Jason was perfect blend of Arkwright into Granville's character - as you would expect over the years. The son being popular with women is a great twist - and my God the ending was perfect!

P.S. If you didn't like the original, obviously you wouldn't like this - go comment on edgy crap you do like

Quote: comical masterpiece @ 27th December 2013, 8:59 PM GMT

I liked it. Nice easy going gentle comedy. There is a lot of different comedy out there but nothing like this, it fills a gap in the comedy market that want a nice simplistic old fashioned sitcom. I loved it and hope it gets a full series, it got great ratings as well and would be a hit for the BBC. It's an area of comedy that is not catered for anymore, so please bring it back for a full series. Thumbs up from me.

There is some truth to this. Since Summer Wine and As Time Goes By finished the BBC doesn't perhaps have that kind of gentle sitcom to show on a Sunday night. This would maybe fit the bill.

Despite the respect I have for Roy Clarke though (he is one of THE great sitcom writers in the U.K.), the BBC should also be looking elsewhere at new writing talent.

Nostalgic but not that funny. It was quite pleasent like a mug of ovaltine.

Big ratings success which I guess will lead to the BBC wanting a full series. I'm surprised Roy Clarke is up for it. He must be in his mid eighties now.

The original went for 12 years (although I don't think it had a series every year), Last Of The Summer Wine nearly 30 years. I think it's great that he still has the energy and the inclination to try and write new material.

Quote: SuePurfluous @ 28th December 2013, 1:23 PM GMT

go comment on edgy crap you do like

Helpful.

Quote: Ben @ 28th December 2013, 10:43 AM GMT

I didn't think it was that terrible. It didn't add much to the legacy, but I don't think it tarnished the original either.

The plot was fairly gentle and could have been a more interesting, but the Roy Clarke of today isn't going to breaking new ground now.

You've summed up exactly why people are saying 'why bother?'. The BBC are so averse to using new writers and testing out new characters that they are increasingly reviving old characters just to fill the sitcom slots. They turned Granville into Arkwright and simply gave Granville a new name. Just to reuse tried and tested popular sitcom characters! This, Reggie Perrin, Boycie in GGG, the young Derek and Rodney and now we hear possibly the old Derek and Rodney, they just won't let them go.

The BBC are so averse to using new writers and testing out new characters that they are increasingly reviving old characters just to fill the sitcom slots.

But who is doing it. Who at the BBC is saying 'well this was a good sitcom, let's rehash it'
Because for me, it doesn't work.

What next? 'Love Thy Neighbor' but all black or all white so as not to offend anyone.

Till Death Us Do Part, where Alf can't make his mind up politically and calls his wife 'You silly old sausage...

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th December 2013, 4:26 PM GMT

But who is doing it. Who at the BBC is saying 'well this was a good sitcom, let's rehash it'
Because for me, it doesn't work.

What next? 'Love Thy Neighbor' but all black or all white so as not to offend anyone.

Till Death Us Do Part, where Alf can't make his mind up politically and calls his wife 'You silly old sausage...

Never mind eh. At least there is Birds of a Feather to look forward to next week. :)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th December 2013, 4:26 PM GMT

I don't see how Open All Hours has been rehashed to be politically correct...

It was clever that Granville appears to have evolved into Arkwright. Wasn't Granville Arkwright's sister's son?

There was a bit of exposition which was clumsy but characters like Stephanie Cole's don't seem any older. Interesting to see Brigitte Forsyth after I'd just seen the Christmas WHTT Likely Lads earlier.

The Granville stuff was messy. They couldn't seem to decide if he was jokingly mocking his old boss, a partial cross between the two or Jason was just copying Barker.

I didn't mind the son but it did remind me of the issue I have with trying to revive older shows with modern elements. The Simpsons is a good example of this as I see it as a very late 80s/early 90s setting that awkwardly has 21st century elements forced upon it. If they get a full series it could work but it'll really come down to how they balance the two characters. There's potential if they find the right mix.

The guest characters were okay, basically the standard crop of comedy actors you might expect to see in a light festive special.

I think really the biggest issue is is there a home for this in the 21st century? I remember watching the original show (must surely have been repeats) growing up in the 90s.

Quote: Gelgoog @ 29th December 2013, 12:10 AM GMT

I remember watching the original show (must surely have been repeats) growing up in the 90s.

Would definitely have been repeats, as the series were made between the late 70s and early 80s.

My Mum thought this was "pretty bad", which is as damning as it gets (she's normally an apologist for anything with a hint of nostalgia). Still, if they can iron out the flaws for the series then who knows? Does seem like a dreadful waste of a sitcom slot at the moment though.