Things that piss you off Page 1,313

Quote: reds @ October 15 2013, 12:16 PM BST

The way that we seem to glorify some criminals in this country. It's like a telemovie or miniseries is made about them and we forget the terrible things they did.

I have similar feelings about sociopathic individuals (evidence, if needed, available on request!):P such as Vinnie Jones and Danny Dyer presenting documentaries about worldwide thuggery, Russian mobsters etc and thereby glamourising them, and taking the jobs of professional broadcasters (still, might stop them making rubbish movies).

Have you seen what ITV are showing for the next three hours?

Play roulette on your tele !

This gambling thing is really getting out of hand now.

Offers of free bets etc. The sad thing is that the people who are going to get taken in by this are the ones that can least afford to be.

Cyclists that don't wear helmets... especially cycling round London.

Are you f**king stupid!??!?!

There is some research to suggest that the more a cyclist resembles a hardened road warrior the less regard motorists will have to ensuring their safety.

Not wearing a helmet is a way of saying, 'I'm vulnerable, don't hurt me...'

Laughing out loud

Tell that to the guy I saw being dealt with by the ambulance yesterday.

Pretty sure the helmet he was wearing saved his life.

It certainly stopped me from having a horrible injury two years ago.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2012/02/helmets_make_cycling_less_safe.php

I think you should still wear a bin lid still

Quote: L.E. @ October 16 2013, 10:45 AM BST

Cyclists that don't wear helmets... especially cycling round London.

Are you f**king stupid!??!?!

It's the law to wear one over here. There are people who don't comply but I found it very strange the first time I was in London and it seemed to be the norm not wear one.

We have a bicycle scheme in Brisbane similar to the Boris bikes, but it's not as succesfull as hoped. It was suggested it is becuase of the helmet rule, so the council then decided to provide some with the bikes. I don't think it helped, even before they all proberly got nicked.

Quote: sootyj @ October 16 2013, 11:13 AM BST

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2012/02/helmets_make_cycling_less_safe.php

I think you should still wear a bin lid still

That's in The Netherlands Soots... the safest place to cycle. They have designated cycle lanes EVERYWHERE which are not even on the road... they're next to the pavement. Plus cyclists have a right of way everywhere. It's a different kettle of fish.

I know but they have far more cyclists, I think the research was a lack of helmets more cautious.

All a bit nuts but interesting.

I suspect in the UK the bigger problem is you can drive like a dangeros arse hole, you can kill some one and you'll get a slap on the wrist.

Frankly I'd like to see people who drive and use mobiles, dragged out from their cars and hung from lamp posts.

Quote: sootyj @ October 16 2013, 12:12 PM BST

Frankly I'd like to see people who drive and use mobiles, dragged out from their cars and hung from lamp posts.

I've lost count of the amount of times as a pedestrain I have nearly been hit by a car who almost didn't stop at a red light, only to look at the driver and see them texting.

They're probably texting their mate afterwards "woah, nearly hit someone"... Grrrr

The law really needs to be tough, I think we forget how bloody spoiled drivers are

I would nationalise everything that moves with one exception.

We need a profit-motivated - and preferably greedy - privatised road traffic police.

I regularly see vehicles overtaking at 70mph on the nearby urban B road at 6am - that's 40mph over the speed limit and it turns a nice early morning stroll into an exercise in blood boil. Slap £5000 fines on them each time as in terms of danger to peoples' lives it's worse than waving a gun around in a shopping mall.

Quote: sootyj @ October 16 2013, 12:33 PM BST

The law really needs to be tough, I think we forget how bloody spoiled drivers are

And how enormously arrogant a large percentage of cyclists are, who view the ability to completely ignore traffic lights, road signals and the other things they expect motorists to respect as their divine right.

Twice this week I have almost been hit by a cyclist who decided to ignore a red traffic light while I was crossing the road. That's on top of the ones who think the best way to get around a red traffic light is by riding on the pavement.

You're either traffic, or you're not. Make your minds up

Quote: AndyGilder @ October 16 2013, 12:55 PM BST

And how enormously arrogant a large percentage of cyclists are, who view the ability to completely ignore traffic lights, road signals and the other things they expect motorists to respect as their divine right.

Twice this week I have almost been hit by a cyclist who decided to ignore a red traffic light while I was crossing the road../

I've also almost been hit by them, and find them annoying, but...I'd rather have a bad cyclist on the road that a good motorist. It doesn't matter how good a motorist is, they still damage the environment more, and clog up the roads; a traffic jam is more annoying to me than a cyclist jumping a red. And being hit once by a single car is worse than being hit by a bike ten times.