- William Hartnell, Bob Monkhouse, Shirley Eaton, Eric Barker, Dora Bryan, Bill Owen, Charles Hawtrey, Kenneth Connor and more
- Norman Hudis and John Antrobus
- Gerald Thomas
- Peter Rogers
Having spent the previous six years at Heathercrest National Service Depot and due for retirement in a mere 10 weeks, Sgt. Grimshawe is determined to achieve his life's goal and train the depot's best platoon at least once. Unfortunately, the body of men he's landed with could be little worse if they tried: hypochondriacs, lovelorn, lacking in agression, uncoordinated, and just plain inept.
Grimshawe soon regrets betting a full £50 on being able to turn out the camp's best platoon and takes his Corporal's suggestion to be a little more lenient than usual in an attempt to cajole rather than scare the motley crew into shape.
It's a tough 69 days training, particularly with Charlie Sage having been called up on his wedding day, the intellectual and evasive Bailey, and hypochondriac Horace Strong becoming the objection of NAAFI Norah's affections - but when the boys overhear Grimshawe's distress at his final failure, they've got one last chance to pull out all the stops.
- The biggest 'shower' that ever 'reigned' in the British army!
- Part of
- UK certificate
- 83 minutes
- UK release
- Friday 1st August 1958
- Camera set-up
- Single camera
- Black and white
- Music composed and directed by Bruce Montgomery and played by The Band of The Coldstream Guards.
- Most recent repeats
- Thursday 20th January 2022 at 2:40pm on Film4
- Saturday 15th January 2022 at 11:00am on Film4
- Friday 5th November 2021 at 2:30pm on Film4
- Pinewood Studios
- Stoughton Barracks