Status report Page 5,617

Quote: Ben @ 24th April 2014, 11:06 PM BST

Ben wonders if the world is ready for his new trainers tomorrow.

Probably not.

Handing the keys to the flat back in a couple of hours. A brief but expensive sojourn with BT and their TV and Broadband services the main culprits. Please avoid like the plague if there is any chance of cancelling your contract inside the first year.

The landlords have tried to force me to get the flat professionally cleaned (using their 'preferred' provider) despite me hardly spending any time there. In the tenancy agreement it states:

"Notwithstanding and subject to the provisions of Clauses 2.3 (Condition of Premises Repair & Cleaning) and Clause 3.1.1 (Cleaning & Appliances), the Landlord agrees to deliver the Premises to the Tenant having had them professionally cleaned at his own expense. IT IS FURTHER AGREED that at the End of the Tenancy the Tenant will, at his own expense, deliver the Premises back to the Landlord having had them professionally cleaned."

On that basis that means that between tenants the flat would be professionally cleaned TWICE. I'm not having that sunshine, especially if you're expecting me to pay £150 for the privilege. I've done a better job than was done for me anyway.

Oh, and get this. When I arrived at the flat there was no aerial or satellite dish and despite me complaining that this is the 21st century and that it's not unreasonable to expect these services to be in place they refused to install anything. I decided that it wasn't worth the cost at the time so I watch my TV on catch up via the Internet. When the new tenant was found I told them this and they called the landlord who said that was one in place. When told that wasn't the case they were forced to do something because they'd assumed there was. I gain nothing from that but smug satisfaction. :)

There are some shady landlords out there aren't there :(

where can I get a drink of lemonade mixed with beer

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ 25th April 2014, 7:15 PM BST

There are some shandy landlords out there aren't there :(

where would I find one?

Quote: Tuumble @ 25th April 2014, 2:57 PM BST

The landlords have tried to force me to get the flat professionally cleaned (using their 'preferred' provider) despite me hardly spending any time there. In the tenancy agreement it states:

"Notwithstanding and subject to the provisions of Clauses 2.3 (Condition of Premises Repair & Cleaning) and Clause 3.1.1 (Cleaning & Appliances), the Landlord agrees to deliver the Premises to the Tenant having had them professionally cleaned at his own expense. IT IS FURTHER AGREED that at the End of the Tenancy the Tenant will, at his own expense, deliver the Premises back to the Landlord having had them professionally cleaned."

On that basis that means that between tenants the flat would be professionally cleaned TWICE. I'm not having that sunshine, especially if you're expecting me to pay £150 for the privilege. I've done a better job than was done for me anyway.

Ahem..the contents of this post should not be taken as legal advice, relied upon as such or in any way compromise my professional insurance..

BUT

Whilst I sympathise in regard to the double cleaning issue that looks like a fairly clear contract term to me. They can bugger off with their "preferred" company, but in terms of actually getting it professionally done - highly likely that a court would find in their favour.

It's not an unusual or unduly onerous term. The fact you have spent very little time there is irrelevant, as is the fact you have done a better job than what was done for you.

Anyway, I would continue to argue about it with them and they will hopefully back down! Good luck with the move.

That'll be £300 pounds please. :)

Quote: Jennie @ 25th April 2014, 7:51 PM BST

BUT

Whilst I sympathise in regard to the double cleaning issue that looks like a fairly clear contract term to me. They can bugger off with their "preferred" company, but in terms of actually getting it professionally done - highly likely that a court would find in their favour.

It's not an unusual or unduly onerous term. The fact you have spent very little time there is irrelevant, as is the fact you have done a better job than what was done for you.

Anyway, I would continue to argue about it with them and they will hopefully back down! Good luck with the move.

That'll be £300 pounds please. :)

Do you do stolen bikes? It's in Cardiff somewhere!

Roscoff has just watched one of his favourite singers (Sammy Davis Jnr) singing This Guys in Love with You. Status = :)

Quote: roscoff @ 25th April 2014, 8:33 PM BST

Do you do stolen bikes? It's in Cardiff somewhere!

Don't steal bikes. It's naughty.

You're welcome. :)

Jennie has just watched a documentary on keeping an elderly couple in their home rather than sending them to a nursing home.

She is just about to watch one about young people killing themselves in custody.

And she is ironing.

Happy happy Friday night for me.

Quote: Jennie @ 25th April 2014, 9:42 PM BST

Jennie has just watched a documentary on keeping an elderly couple in their home rather than sending them to a nursing home.

She is just about to watch one about young people killing themselves in custody.

And she is ironing.

Wave

I know. :(

It's being a working girl, I tell you.

Have just seen a performance of one of my plays which had the audience laughing non-stop. So feeling smug ... and wondering if I've lost my sense of humour as I don't think I can write lines like that any more. Laughing out loud :(

Ooh, well done. That must feel rather good.

When did you write it?

Quote: keewik @ 25th April 2014, 10:36 PM BST

Have just seen a performance of one of my plays which had the audience laughing non-stop. So feeling smug ... and wondering if I've lost my sense of humour as I don't think I can write lines like that any more. Laughing out loud :(

Wow Keewik that must be something. I've seen the odd sketch of mine performed but bloody hell! What's it called? Is it Jimmy McJimmy Does Glasgow again? I like that one :)

Quote: Jennie @ 25th April 2014, 9:42 PM BST

Don't steal bikes. It's naughty.

You're welcome. :)

And she is ironing.

Jenny this is not how a woman of your calibre should spend a Friday night - unless you have wild plans for the rest of the weekend.

I know, it's pathetic. Reason being that I was out the house at 7:30 this morning to go and assess foreign barristers who want to be English barristers.

Hardly rock and roll. I am off on a writing break next week which will be lovely.

But again, hardly exciting. :(

Well done you. That must be an awesome feeling :)

Well done, so is it possible to see one of your plays