Sitcom spinoffs, sequels, and crossovers? Page 3

Aaron, in Nearest and Dearest - Nellie & Eli inherit the pickle factory when their father dies so how could John Barrett have played their father in it?!

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 2:40 PM BST

Complete crap - Derek Nimmo played a character called Noote in AGG which was written by Pauline Devaney & Edwin Apps.

In Oh Brother/Oh Father he played a completely different character called Brother Dominic and this was written by David Climie & Austin Steele. You are making it up as you go along

Incorrect. Climie and Steele also worked on All Gas & Gaiters (the special, according to Lewisohn). And the characters are identical.

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2008, 2:43 PM BST

Incorrect. Climie and Steele also worked on All Gas & Gaiters (the special, according to Lewisohn). And the characters are identical.

John Wraith wrote the pilot for AGG and the character is only "identical" because you are seeing Derek Nimmo not the character. Have you EVER seen these shows?!!!

Ah yes an insert in Xmas Night with the stars - a very tenuous link indeed

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 2:43 PM BST

Aaron, in Nearest and Dearest - Nellie & Eli inherit the pickle factory when their father dies so how could John Barrett have played their father in it?!

Yes Alan. I'm well aware of the synopis. Series one, episode one. Their father doesn't die until half way through. He is played by John Barrett.

Now go and put your DVD on, and apologise when you see I'm right. :P

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 2:44 PM BST

John Wraith wrote the pilot for AGG and the character is only "identical" because you are seeing Derek Nimmo not the character. Have you EVER seen these shows?!!!

Yes, I watched them again just a few weeks ago. Nothing to do with Derek Nimmo. Still the same character - at very least, extremely similar.

So on the basis of a very short appearance in the first episode of Nearest and Dearest you can tie Nearest and Dearest with Not on Your Nellie.

Two writers who wrote a 10 minute special can now tie All Gas and Gaiters with Oh Brother as well as a poorly observed viewing of the two characters, IMHO...

Aaron you will make the perfect politician

Quote: Griff @ June 12 2008, 2:50 PM BST

Alan you seem very fighty today. Have you been on the Special Brew again ?

Lol nah but I have lived with these comedies for most of my life and on the basis of a little bit of research I am being told that everything I know about them is wrong. I find it very sad.

The Mrs Merton Show - Mrs Merton and Malcolm

MASH - Trapper John, MD.

An interesting thread would be which characters from one sitcom have appeared in another?

Your listing of a US show there chips reminded me that some episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond featured the character from the King of Queens

Norm and Cliff from Cheers appeared in Wings.

And didn't Edina and Patsy from Absolutely Fabulous pop up in the last season of Roseanne? Which must be one of the few instances of characters crossing the Atlantic.

That is very true

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 3:07 PM BST

An interesting thread would be which characters from one sitcom have appeared in another?

Your listing of a US show there chips reminded me that some episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond featured the character from the King of Queens

And vice versa, Ray and family pop up in King of Queens now and again.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ June 12 2008, 3:11 PM BST

Norm and Cliff from Cheers appeared in Wings.

I think the cast of Cheers actually appeared as Cheers characters in The Simpsons.

Quote: monkeybeard @ June 12 2008, 3:14 PM BST

And vice versa, Ray and family pop up in King of Queens now and again.

I thought they did but I wasn't quite sure

Quote: chipolata @ June 12 2008, 3:14 PM BST

I think the cast of Cheers actually appeared as Cheers characters in The Simpsons.

It's worth adding that every major character from Cheers save for Rebecca all turned up at some point in Frasier. And the only reason that Rebecca never did is that the actress who played her is a Scientologist and Scientologists believe that psychiatry is evil.