Sitcom spinoffs, sequels, and crossovers? Page 8

Please Sir! - The Fen Street Gang - Bowler

Till Death Us Do Part - Till Death ... - In Sickness and In Health - The Thoughts of Chairman Alf

How about Peter Bowles and Penelope Keith both starring in To the Manor Born and Executive Stress - albeit as different characters?

The Detectives sketches in Canned Carrott and the series The Detectives.

The Blackadders might be one, but I think we're all agreed that's a series, not an ancient version of 7Up.

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin - The Legacy of Reginald Perrin - Perrin

Man About the House - George and Mildred and Robin's Nest

M*A*S*H - After M*A*S*H

The Phil Silvers Show - The New Phil Silvers Show

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 16 2009, 8:10 PM BST

Some more spin-offs and sequels: In the Red -> In the Balance -> In the Chair -> In the End -> Absolute Power

Is this radio? Because I remember In The Red as a TV show, but not In The Chair and In The End. Also, were the same characters in all those incarnations?

Quote: chipolata @ May 21 2009, 10:41 AM BST

Is this radio? Because I remember In The Red as a TV show, but not In The Chair and In The End. Also, were the same characters in all those incarnations?

All of them have been broadcast on radio, yes.

In The Red was both on radio and TV.

Interestingly, the TV version doesn't seem to be in our database...

Quote: Aaron @ May 21 2009, 10:51 AM BST

In The Red was both on radio and TV.

Interestingly, the TV version doesn't seem to be in our database...

Was it an actual series or just a one off?

Quote: chipolata @ May 21 2009, 10:55 AM BST

Was it an actual series or just a one off?

According to the IMDb it was broadcast as 3 episodes lasting 60 minutes each.

Surprised to see the late Malcolm Bradbury adapted it. For years I've laboured under the misapprehension that it was Guy Jenkins.

Yes, for once, IMDb has correct information. Superb little series it was too.

Back on the topic of characters from one series appearing in another, I remember that Daphne and Niles from "Frasier" appeared briefly in an episode of "Caroline in the City" (though they didn't interact with any of the characters, but were shown on the "Frasier" set commenting on one of Caroline's cartoons).

Also I'm sure Matthew Perry as Chandler from "Friends" cropped up in another US series - I think it was "Ellen" but could be wrong on this.

By the way, "Curry and Chips" was not a spinoff of "Till Death Us Do Part" - it was just another series written by Johnny Speight.

Quote: Aaron @ May 21 2009, 11:29 AM BST

Is it not very reliable then? I noticed that Wikipedia doesn't ever use it to citate references. Rolling eyes

No, not for British TV programmes.

Quote: Aaron @ May 21 2009, 2:29 PM GMT

Did it ever get a DVD release? I'm doubting it.

Also:

Family Guy - The Cleveland Show

Nope. Very little in that vein has been released, unfortunately.

Married With Children gave us Vinnie and Bobby, Matt Lebanc's been spun off more then once!

Family Ties gave us Day by Day and The Art of Being Nick.

Growing Pains blessed the world with Just the 10 of Us.

As to characters appearing in other series; 30 Rock had an episode with most the cast of Night Court, that was great surprise.

Alf had a follow up movie Project Alf and a cartoon.

Gilligan's Island also had several follow up specials (where they get rescued, go back, get rescued again and so on) and the cartoon remake Gilligan's Planet.

As well as the sequel series, "The Golden Palace", "Empty Nest" was also a spinoff of "The Golden Girls", with the girls guest starring and Estelle Getty's Sopia character becoming a regular later on.
"Nurses" was a spinoff of empty nest and featured characters from both "The Golden Girls" and "Empty Nest". At one point, all three shows were affected by a hurricane. Getty's Sophia character also appeared in "Blossom".
In a major event, "Can't Hurry Love", "The Nanny", "Murphy Brown" and "High Society" were connected in a story arc involving Elizabeth Taylor's stolen pearls.
When Jennifer Saunders wanted to move on from "Absolutely Fabulous", she wrote a sitcom pilot entitled "Mirrorball" - featuring the "Ab Fab" cast as denizens of the West End showbiz world. Tim Wilton played a character called Bryce Michaels - an agent. When Jennifer eventually decided to make more "Ab Fab" - Bryce turned up as the agent for Mother and her friend Dolly when they took jobs as movie extras.
:)