Sitcom spinoffs, sequels, and crossovers? Page 2

Tales of Para Handy - The Vital Spark

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2008, 2:23 PM BST

Hancock's Half Hour -> Citizen James.

Hardly

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 2:22 PM BST

Not letting you get away with that one - All Gas has nothing to do with the other two except Derek Nimmo was in them

Close enough for my liking, particularly after some of the other suggestions!

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2008, 2:24 PM BST

Close enough for my liking, particularly after some of the other suggestions!

It's about the clergy that doesn't make it a sequel

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 2:24 PM BST

Hardly

Again, with some of the other suggestions, quite easily! Almost identical character, created for James after leaving HHH...

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 2:25 PM BST

It's about the clergy that doesn't make it a sequel

If I was basing it just on the religious settings, then I'd have thrown Bless Me, Father into the mix.

Anyway, back on kind of is-it-a-sequel-or-is-it-a-spinoff, Porridge -> Going Straight.

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2008, 2:25 PM BST

Again, with some of the other suggestions, quite easily! Almost identical character, created for James after leaving HHH...

LOL you started the "other suggestions" by linking Nearest and Dearest -> Not on Your Nellie .. two characters called Nellie played by the same actress in a similar style is the connection

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2008, 2:26 PM BST

If I was basing it just on the religious settings, then I'd have thrown Bless Me, Father into the mix.

Then please, please, please tell me how Oh Brother came from All Gas and Gaiters?

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 2:28 PM BST

LOL you started the "other suggestions" by linking Nearest and Dearest -> Not on Your Nellie .. two characters called Nellie played by the same actress in a similar style is the connection

Two identical characters, mind (and on a weaker note, with the exact same character, and actor playing, the father).

Only Fools - Green, green grass.

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2008, 2:31 PM BST

Two identical characters, mind (and on a weaker note, with the exact same character, and actor playing, the father).

John Barrett wasn't in Nearest and Dearest

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 2:28 PM BST

Then please, please, please tell me how Oh Brother came from All Gas and Gaiters?

Well admittedly it's one of the weaker ones, as Oh, Brother! started only a year after All Gas and Gaiters, whilst it was still on, but again, the only difference in character was the name. The setting, as mentioned, almost identical. Same writers too.

Oh and let's not forget all of the Doctor series' and films.

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 2:32 PM BST

John Barrett wasn't in Nearest and Dearest

Yes he was. :)

According to Imdb, he was.

Cheers - The Tortellis (Although I never saw it)

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2008, 2:36 PM BST

Well admittedly it's one of the weaker ones, as Oh, Brother! started only a year after All Gas and Gaiters, whilst it was still on, but again, the only difference in character was the name. The setting, as mentioned, almost identical. Same writers too.

Complete crap - Derek Nimmo played a character called Noote in AGG which was written by Pauline Devaney & Edwin Apps.

In Oh Brother/Oh Father he played a completely different character called Brother Dominic and this was written by David Climie & Austin Steele. You are making it up as you go along

AGG was set in an Anglican cathedral Oh Brother/Oh Father in a priory/church

Quote: Leevil @ June 12 2008, 2:38 PM BST

According to Imdb, he was.

Whoa, IMDb actually has information on a British sitcom?! :O

Quote: chipolata @ June 12 2008, 2:38 PM BST

Cheers - The Tortellis (Although I never saw it)

Lol, it hard Norm and Cliff in it too. Sounds like Cheers without Sam.

I remember reading somewhere that they once intended to do a Frasier spin-off called Niles. Not sure if that's just a myth or was ever really going to happen.