Sitcom spinoffs, sequels, and crossovers? Page 6

The 11 O'Clock Show - Da Ali G Show - Ali G In DA USA - Ali G In Da House (The film he did)

Similarly Borat.

'Ted & Ralph' had their own special after The Fast Show.

Dan

Of course Comedy Playhouse over the course of fourteen seasons gave us:

Steptoe & Son
Meet The Wife
Till Death us do Part
All Gas and Gaiters
The Whitehall Worrier
Not In Front of the Children
Beggar My Neighbour
Wild Wild Women
The Liver Birds
Up Pompeii
Are you Being Served?
Last of the Summer Wine
The Rough with the Smooth
Happy Ever After
Mr. Big
No Strings
Wodehouse Playhouse
The Melting Pot

And Ronnie Barker's Seven of One in a single season gave us:

Porridge
Open All Hours
My Old Man (with Clive Dunn replacing Ronnie)

Bang! Bang! Out Go The Lights - The Young Ones
The Cosby Show - A Different World
The Fall & Rise of Reginald Perrin - Fairly Secret Army

Def.

Laverne & Shirley was a spin-off from Happy Days (as was Mork & Mindy which someone mentioned earlier)

Quote: Timbo @ June 13 2008, 12:39 PM BST

Of course Comedy Playhouse over the course of fourteen seasons gave us:

Steptoe & Son
Meet The Wife
Till Death us do Part
All Gas and Gaiters
The Whitehall Worrier
Not In Front of the Children
Beggar My Neighbour
Wild Wild Women
The Liver Birds
Up Pompeii
Are you Being Served?
Last of the Summer Wine
The Rough with the Smooth
Happy Ever After
Mr. Big
No Strings
Wodehouse Playhouse
The Melting Pot

Don't forget :-

The Walrus and the Carpenter
The Vital Spark
Hudd
The Reluctant Romeo
Wink to Me Only
B&B
Me Mammy
As Good Cooks Go
It's Awfully Bad For Your Eyes Darling
Now Take My Wife

Quote: Aaron @ June 13 2008, 2:05 AM BST

Go back and read it. Was just one of a number of things which I mentioned.

Up Pompeii! -> Further Up Pompeii, Whoops Baghdad, and numerous others (TV and film) which I'm far too lazy to mention at 2:05 am.

Damn, I will open it up just to say that, Nimmo apart, your only other argument was that Climie/Steele were credited as writing a special. FYI, the special Mark mentions in his book refers to a joint sketch between Oh Brother/All Gas & Gaiters that was shown in Xmas Night with the Stars

As you will see from the pic above, Devaney & Apps are also credited as the writers of the sketch. If you take from this an argument that a combined sketch on a christmas show proves that they are linked then all I can say is Ballykissangel & the Vicar of Dibley must also be linked!? :D

And, finally, a snippet from the sleeve notes from the DVD release of Oh Brother

Quote: Alan C @ June 13 2008, 12:50 PM BST

Don't forget :-

The Walrus and the Carpenter
The Vital Spark
Hudd
The Reluctant Romeo
Wink to Me Only
B&B
Me Mammy
As Good Cooks Go
It's Awfully Bad For Your Eyes Darling
Now Take My Wife

I think I had forgotten al of those, but the first and last are ringing distant bells.

It is a shame the BBC does not try something similar now.

Quote: Timbo @ June 13 2008, 12:53 PM BST

I think I had forgotten al of those, but the first and last are ringing distant bells.

It is a shame the BBC does not try something similar now.

Walrus and the Carpenter was a Took/Feldman sitcom with Felix Aylmer & Hugh Griffith

that is all good and nice.

But in the end Frasier is one of the very off-shoots that not only surpassed (by far) its host show, but also turned out to be one of the best shows ever. At least beyond the Pond.

The ITV equivalents of Comedy Playhouse gave us :-

Barbara
The 10%ers
Brighton Belles (eeew)
A Sharp Intake of Breath
Young at Heart
Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt
Rising Damp
Sometime Never

(not complete)

'Rhoda' and 'Phyllis' were both sitcom spin-offs from 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show'.

'Lou Grant' was also a spin off from 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show'. This is the only example of a drama show spin off from a sitcom that I can think of...unless you know differently....

Trapper John MD was a drama series nominally spun off from MASH, but with a different actor in the role and as I recall not much connection to the original series.

Quote: dingo @ June 12 2008, 9:11 PM BST

Regarding crossovers, sort of, here is the Tommy Westphall Hypothesis (be warned, you could get lost in there):

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kwgow/crossovers.html

Dingo, I think I hate you. I've just spent half an hour in there.

Nearest and Dearest -> Not on Your Nellie

Aaron, your arguments to link the show - Hylda Baker is in both playing a character called Nellie, John Barratt played her father in the first episode of ND and is the father in NOYN.

The facts, Hydla Baker plays a character called Nellie Pledge in Nearest and Dearest and runs a pickle factory with her brother, Eli after their father dies in episode 1. Creators Vince Powell & Harry Driver, production Granada.

In Not on Your Nellie she is called Nellie Pickersgill and she comes to help her dad run his pub. Creators Tom Brennand & Roy Bottomley. Production LWT

The only connections between the two series are the writers Brennand & Bottomley (who wrote a number of ND episodes), the star playing her stock character and John Barratt who was obviously remembered from episode 1 by the producer.

It was definitely in the interests of the producers of NOYN to make connections with ND because the show was dire but the only link between the two is similarity.

Can't believe that no-one has mentioned that The Simpsons started out as a cartoon filler on The Tracey Ullman show.

Of course, when the Tracey Ullman show was broadcast in the UK - The Simpsons was edited out from it - always a good argument to use when Brits accuse Americans of mutilating comedies.