Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em

I've just had a look and we haven't talked about this yet, which is a shame because I think it's a slightly neglected classic. Michael Crawford's performance as Frank Spencer was genius, and the stunts he did were up there with Buster Keaton's.

And although the plots were never that great, it's one of the few shows that has the ability to reduce me to tears of laughter (the only other show to do this is Fawlty Towers). It also contains a style of comedy (physical, slapstick) that isn't attempted much in the modern sitcom, if ever. And they only made about twenty episodes, so they never outstayed their welcome.

And, if I recall correctly, it was the first (British sitcom anyway) to have a Christmas special.

Anyway. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em was the first ever TV show I had on DVD, received along with my first ever DVD player, on my birthday about 4 or 5 years ago. Absolutely freaking love it. Crawford was, and is, excellent. And of course was great in Phantom, but that's for a whole different thread.

Did he ever do comedy again? I seem to remember he did a film where he had wings. Although considering he could have easily been killed doing Some Mothers stunts, which should just be grateful he's still alive.

The last (?) Christmas special featured him playing the angel in an amateur Nativity production. Quite possibly what you're thinking of?

And no, I'm not aware of him having done anything after, and don't have any of my books with me to check.

No, I'm sure he was in a film called something like Flight of the Condor, in which he put on huge wings and he could fly. It was like his one stab at making an American-friendly action comedy movie before he concentrated on the stage.

(I just did a quick search, the film was actually called Condor Man.)

This show is one of my favourite sitcoms and I finally got the complete boxset for christmas just gone.

I have heard that Micheal was third choice to play Frank, after Norman Wisdom and Ronnie Barker. This is linked back to another post I did regarding perfect casting as it is thought that Michael brought some of his own unique touches to the role, and his portrayal of Frank made an otherwise ordinary comedy into something special.

He was in a comedy film called 'The Knack', to answer chipolata's question.

Def.

One of the best sitcoms ever. Crawford was great as a stuntman. Altough I'm a big fan of Ronnie Barker, he was right to leave it as a physical comedian was better for it. Altough not the first DVD I bought, Open all Hours series 1 has that claim to fame, it was in the top 10 of first DVDs.
Favourite episode: Have a Break Take a Husband.

Quote: Jack Massey @ April 16 2008, 4:08 PM BST

Favourite episode: Have a Break Take a Husband.

Did you know that 'Have a Break Take a Husband' was the original title for Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em? I'm glad they changed it.

Def.

So am I

I forget to mention it has a copper bottomed corker of a theme tune too.

The theme tune is great. Is it played on a simple recorder or tin whistle?

I also like how they did the credits, rolling across the screen like yellow ticker tape.

Def.

I don't know what it's played on, but a recorder is more in keeping with the show since Frank played one.

Not like yellow ticker tape, yellow ticker tape.

On the subject of end credits, I really miss the old Dad's Army/Hi-De-Hi!/'Allo 'Allo! "You Have Been Watching..." end credits, in which cast members mug to the camera. I thought The Office and The Thick Of It would have worked much better with those sorts of credits.

The film you're talking about is Condorman:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082199/