Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em Page 6

Quote: Chappers @ 16th March 2015, 9:45 PM GMT

You don't say. It took you repeated viewing?

She's not the brightest either is she though.

But she was pretty foxy.

In real life she was married to Edward Woodward. Fancy being married to Frank Spencer and The Equalizer! (if you don't mind mixing reality with fiction of course)

Quote: gb901 @ 16th March 2015, 4:12 PM GMT

On repeat reviewing FS is certainly a simpleton and probably retarded: what the hell did Betty see in him?

Simpletons. Their characters were so one dimentional, I'm amazed it got as far as 20 shows. So dated now. Still prefure Laurel and Hardy for visual slap stick, but Frank's stunts where good.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 26th March 2015, 5:17 PM GMT

I'm amazed it got as far as 20 shows.

Maybe it was some kind of accident?

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 26th March 2015, 5:17 PM GMT

Simpletons. Their characters were so one dimentional, I'm amazed it got as far as 20 shows. So dated now. Still prefure Laurel and Hardy for visual slap stick, but Frank's stunts where good.

I think some of the appeal was knowing that Michael Crawford did all his own stunts.

Some mothers... is an absolute delight...

Frank is NOT retarded... he just reacts to the world in a different way...

Folk react to him in a particular way which is the fuel to the comedy and inspired slapstick...

Just like Laurel and Hardy, Frank Spencer is an innocent in a world that doesn't quite get him/them

I'd like to be around in 50 years to see what is being enjoyed...

I'd say Porridge, Blackadder, Some Mothers, Steptoe and Fawlty...

I hope the 2065 version of Derek Acorah lets me know... =^-^=

Quote: Chappers @ 26th March 2015, 10:54 PM GMT

I think some of the appeal was knowing that Michael Crawford did all his own stunts.

A big factor I would say, especially by the end of the series when Crawford had already revealed how hairy some of the stunts were. The man's a hero and Frank Spencer a true legend. England

Quote: gb901 @ 16th March 2015, 4:12 PM GMT

On repeat reviewing FS is certainly a simpleton and probably retarded: what the hell did Betty see in him?

It's caricature, you do know that? Crawford played him as a cartoon by today's naturalistic style acting, but back then sitcoms were still boldly played filmed stage comedies. And that involves 'acting'.

Both Frank and Betty were simple minded, but most people don't actually want "highbrow" shows because they make the average viewer feel bad.

The viewer geek elite on much of the internet is not representative of most real life viewers.

Quote: Natalie Salat @ 30th March 2015, 4:44 PM BST

Both Frank and Betty were simple minded, but most people don't actually want "highbrow" shows because they make the average viewer feel bad.

The viewer geek elite on much of the internet is not representative of most real life viewers.

Frasier only ran for 11 series...

And a show can be both 'highbrow' and have stupid characters in it. The two are not mutually exclusive.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001906/some_mothers_do_ave_em_return_new_series_2016/

Bringing back SMDHE?

"Do you think that's wise?"

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 5th October 2015, 8:02 PM BST

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001906/some_mothers_do_ave_em_return_new_series_2016/

Bringing back SMDHE?

"Do you think that's wise?"

Do you mean SMDAE?

It does seem a bit unnecessary.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th October 2015, 8:08 PM BST

Do you mean SMDAE?

It does seem a bit unnecessary.

Like you querying Gordon's post you mean? Whistling nnocently

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 5th October 2015, 8:02 PM BST

Bringing back SMDHE?

Quote: Chappers @ 5th October 2015, 8:08 PM BST

Do you mean SMDAE?

I should have written SMDHT...I bet Aaron would love me for that. ;)

Anyway, the resurrection of SMDAE seems even more forced than the one of OAH. Michael Crawford won't do his spectacular stunts anymore and without them the show loses one of its key attractions.

The other key attraction (at least to me) was the gorgeous young Michele Dottrice. Let's face it she...

I for one would love to see it. Baby Jessica would be 42 this Christmas!

I suppose he could be a weird old Granddad.

But I would never call Michelle gorgeous.

I saw Crawford in Wizard of Oz on stage a couple of years ago. Still quite athletic.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th October 2015, 8:32 PM BST

But I would never call Michelle gorgeous.

Cute?

Quote: Aaron @ 5th October 2015, 8:28 PM BST

Baby Jessica would be 42 this Christmas!

Quote: Chappers @ 5th October 2015, 8:32 PM BST

I suppose he could be a weird old Granddad.

Ok, but then I hope Frank would still be the star of the show...and not Jessica's goodlooking smart twentysomething son.