London Comedy Writers Page 7

I happened to stumble upon the Old King's Head during my recent trip to London. Nice little pub.

Mind you, it wasn't a night when the LCW crew were there.

maybe see you there one night, don't worry the comedy actions upstairs.

I don't get to London much, Sooty, but I'll try to get upstairs to a LCW meeting at some point. :)

Planning to go this Tuesday. Anyone else going?

http://www.londoncomedywriters.com/

A sketch evening tomorrow.

Some bloke called Andy Flood has a sketch. Sounds like a really boring sort of name.

I maybe there if I'm out of bed that early in the evening

Up here tonight. Too late to get anyone else here.

I went tonight and left at the interval so I didn't hear the comments.

It really is getting very incestuous. A writer had a 6 episode web series read out totalling 52 minutes. To my mind it was at least twice as long as it needed to be and I laughed 6 times = 1 laugh per episode.

I'm not sure if it's worth going again except for the social side.

Was the writer of Big Top there, then?

Quote: Chappers @ 21st April 2015, 10:44 PM BST

I went tonight and left at the interval so I didn't hear the comments.

It really is getting very incestuous. A writer had a 6 episode web series read out totalling 52 minutes. To my mind it was at least twice as long as it needed to be and I laughed 6 times = 1 laugh per episode.

I'm not sure if it's worth going again except for the social side.

I haven't been for yonks. Yes, it's *really* incestuous and despite me laughing like a stoned hyena at a great deal in daily life, I barely laugh.

If truth also be told, I keep being reminded by a member, who's a former colleague of mine of an 'incident' which occurred back in the late 1990s. Who said that London was a place that one could hide?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 22nd April 2015, 6:12 PM BST

Yes, it's *really* incestuous...

Does that chat up line ever work, sister?

I understand it's because a certain writer stopped attending.

Who had a prodigous talent, blazing charisma and an icnisive wit which could be used for micro surgery.

Selfish bastard.

Quote: sootyj @ 22nd April 2015, 9:25 PM BST

I understand it's because a certain writer stopped attending.

Who had a prodigous talent, blazing charisma and an icnisive wit which could be used for micro surgery.

Selfish bastard.

Yes - your absence was noted!

As I'm on their mailing list I received this email today, telling of the outgoing chair, Graham's departure.

I may pop along in August if anyone else is interesting in turning up? My main beef these days (apart from being busy on Tuesday evenings until last week) is the lack of trains from London Bridge. Hmmm.

------------------------------------

My Farewell to TheLCW

The London Comedy Writers was started by Jack Milner some 15 years ago under the far catchier name of "The East London Comedy Script Writers". For at least the past 10 years I have been chairing meetings Upstairs in the Old Kings Head, I think that accounts for around 250 meetings. In that time I have seen of our numbers swell from form their often meger single digets to the full rooms the group often enjoys now. TheLCW is a community and it is heart warming to see the connections and partnerships that have been made and the creativity it has spawned.

When I stepped up to run TheLCW I came in with big ideas, like a website and a newsletter, I took the meetings from once every 3 weeks to every 2 weeks, I added sketches and webisodes to meetings while banning extracts of film scripts - (those who were there know why). Sketchageddon Live showcasing the best of year's sketches was introduced and is now an annual tradition. I would love to see the group continue to evolve creating more opportunities and for that it needs fresh blood.

Robin Bailes will be stepping up to chair the meetings, he has been an excellent right hand man working hard behind scenes without many people really knowing about it. He is has some great ideas for the group and will be looking for people to step up and help make those ideas a reality.

As for me I am off to do who knows what. It has been a privilege to chair TheLCW for all these years and I am sure I will miss it and will be secretly envious and where group goes from here.

My parting words of wisdom to you all is simple. Get it made. Don't just finish the script and stick it in draw, do something with it. If a sitcom is too much to shoot, shoot sketches, shoot webisodes, shoot teasers, hire a theatre space, just get it out there. The world needs good scripts and it has never been easier to make things and get them seen.

Much hugs to you all.

Graham

P.S. The kind folk at The LCW are throwing me a leaving party on 31st July. It will be great to see you all there.

Let me know I'll be there.

Glowering and critical in the corner, Cerberus over a half price pint.