Yes Minister Page 10

After Sir Richard and Sir Humphrey conspired to pull that stunt over Israel and the UN and I was puppeting Hacker's body, I would walk out the door of Number Ten without a word to either of them and announced to the waiting press: "Today, i have accepted the resignations of Sir Richard Wharton, the PS to the Foreign Office and Sir Humphrey Appleby, my Cabinet Secretary. These men think this country is going just fine, and we know it is not. We have many difficulties and challenges to face, which cannot be understood or solved by titled aristocrats".

Making this thread active again since I love the show and Yes Prime Minister, hence my username.

Bernard/Derek is my favourite, anyone else's? I hope to make some friends here!

Bernard is a wonderful character. Occasionally underwritten, I fear, but it does suit his place in their dynamic, junior and caught between the two masters. And of course played to perfection by the late Derek Fowlds.

I remember when he was with Basil Brush. Mr Derek.

Took over from Rodney Bewes (of The Likely Lads) in that capacity. Mr Rodney.

Basil was quite inventive with the names.

I agree with both of your comments.

I wish there were more things available to watch with Derek such as all of his Basil Brush episodes.

Anyone have any favourite Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister episodes?

My favourite is the one where they change all the locks so Humphrey can't just keep barging in unannounced!

I was watching Haggard today and Sir Arnold crops up

Sir Arnold died last month:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th July 2023, 6:09 PM

John Nettleton - Sir Arnold, Cabinet Secretary in Yes Minister. Aged 94.

Mine would have to be Sir Humphrey, the man who thinks he's in charge. He's at the centre of the plots and machinations and is one of the more subtle 'sitcom monsters' but still one of the most monstrous, a great central character. I actually have a preference for YPM as I think there are more classic eps in this series but probably need to watch YM again to be sure.

Beautifully scripted, more for lovers of dialogue based sitcoms than physical and visual comedy based ones although the sets are a visual delight for those who like the tasteful decor and surroundings of high office. If Dad's Army merits being reshown constantly on the BBC (and I'm not complaining) then this equally British classic sitcom should at least be repeated more often than it is.

Quote: lofthouse @ 6th August 2023, 7:23 PM

My favourite is the one where they change all the locks so Humphrey can't just keep barging in unannounced!

The Key from YPM is my favourite as well and must be one of the more physical ones, which contradicts my above mentioned nonsense.

the key is one of my favourite episodes too. i made an introduction if anyone wants to see it, i'm looking for some friends who like the show. my intro is here:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/36983/

Do you have copies of Jim Hacker's diaries, the written versions of the series, Tayla? They're all designed to look like a traditional leather-bound book and are a lovely addition to any shelf!

https://amzn.to/3QEFshk

I don't have any of the Y(P)M books actually since I've lost interest in reading but I've been looking at them. are any of the books good?

It's a sort-of novelisation, nothing really new. You get a bit of extra detail from Jay & Lynn though. Definitely a new and interesting way to experience the characters and their world, distinctly through Jim's eyes. As you love the series so much I'd be very surprised if you don't enjoy them.

I'll check all the books out sometime, thanks. I've been meaning to check out the Heartbeat books too. have you seen Heartbeat? I just started watching it because I love Derek lol.

No, I do love old things but police dramas - and not comedy - aren't really my thing!

Heartbeat has a bit of everything - drama obviously being a drama show, funny stuff, romance, etc.

anyway, tell me about you meeting Derek? I'm so jealous.