Looking for fans of Yes Minister/Yes, Prime Minister & Heartbeat to be friends with

hi, I'm Tayla. I'm 23 (24 this year) & I've grown up with British TV. I'm from Australia. I hope people read this & give me nice replies & messages.

I've been trying to find people to be friends with & talk to who are fans of Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister (hence my username) & Heartbeat. I have tried on other social medias but I'm not having much luck, someone sent me a link to these forums so I thought I'd try it. I only just made an account so please bare with me trying to figure out how it works, lol.

I would LOVE to find people to talk to & be friends with who love Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister the most but I'm happy to talk to anyone. I don't mind your age, just don't be creepy please. I do have mental health issues & I find watching old British TV helps me a bit, it's comforting despite most of the people no longer alive.

my favourite actor is Derek Fowlds, but I also love Paul Eddington & Nigel Hawthorne, but Derek is my overall favourite.

I used to roleplay with Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister, so like fanfiction but changing things up a bit, so no politics, just pretending to be married to Bernard/Derek & Humphrey living with us. Jim would also be included, sometimes Annie & Lucy but Lucy was a little kid, & other characters added like parents etc. it had a bit of everything - funny stuff, drama, sickness, romance, ect.

that may sound odd yes but it was/is a coping mechanism for me. I am hesitant because of someone I used to do that with abandoning me back in December which has messed me up a lot & still is but I would love to find people to talk to & maybe try roleplaying like that again.

I apologise for this long post but I hope people send me nice replies & messages. if you've read all of this, thank you.

Welcome to the site. I would just join in/initiate discussions on the programmes that interest you and take it from there.

thanks. I have done that, I did the same kind of posts on Reddit too. some people replied & messaged me, though some aren't active much (which I understand). I also have Discord which I use more. I really just miss roleplaying (it's hard to explain the type I mean). like fanfiction so not in person.

Does it involve limp celery and an egg whisk?

Don't mind Stephen, he's just being very unhelpful!

It's great that you've found comedy to escape into. Yes Minister was very helpful to me at a difficult time too.

I met Derek briefly a few years ago and he was lovely. Sad to think he's no longer with us.

Ah, it was a reference to 'Allo Allo where Michelle and Mimi la bonk tempt Colonel von Strohm and Hans Geering into role play with those items.

Hello and good evening in Australia. Am a big fan of YM & YPM but not of Heartbeat, mainly because the latter prog led to far too many dour 1960s & 50s period copies being aired while not enough high office or high business shows followed the success of YM, at least I don't remember many.

I am currently enjoying reruns of dramas The Main Chance, Public Eye, and Rumpole of the Bailey, all with similar settings without the comedy although Rumpole is often amusing.

sorry Stephen, I know of 'Allo 'Allo but haven't watched much of it because I couldn't get into the show, didn't find it that funny. hence why I didn't understand the quote. what I mean by roleplaying is like fanfiction stuff. for example:

B (for Bernard) - "hey." *hugs you.*

"hey." *hugs you back.* (myself).

ooh lucky you met Derek, Aaron. would you like to tell me about it in the Yes Minister thread perhaps? or here if you wish. whatever you prefer.

oh I love Heartbeat but haven't seen every episode yet although I have all the DVDs. only up to series 9 episode 14 which I have to watch, then the other episodes.

I've said before on here (years ago) that my daughter was a regular extra on Heartbeat.

The ones I remember are 'poorly girl and girl at icecream van lol

lucky you. did you or her ever meet Derek?

by the way, does anyone have Discord? it's a chatting app/site for free, I'm more active there hence me asking.

Hiya - just go on the Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister forums on here. It's keenly moderated so you'll be OK.

I am too old to know anything about Discord! Also, swapping personal details with Internet randoms isn't really sensible in this day and age.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th August 2023, 1:40 PM

I've said before on here (years ago) that my daughter was a regular extra on Heartbeat.

The ones I remember are 'poorly girl and girl at icecream van lol

Did she do any other extra/background artist work Stephen? I can honestly say that I gave never watched an episode of Heartbeat but I realise that it was very popular at the time.

She was only young at the time, 16 I think. The mini-bus rolled up at 06:00 and brought her back at 18: 00.
She was in lots of shows of the time Emmerdale, etc (all made by Yorkshire TV) Even adverts.
But she got fed up of the long hours and went off to be a nurse. She's now a midwife.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th August 2023, 11:08 AM

She was only young at the time, 16 I think. The mini-bus rolled up at 06:00 and brought her back at 18: 00.
She was in lots of shows of the time Emmerdale, etc (all made by Yorkshire TV) Even adverts.
But she got fed up of the long hours and went off to be a nurse. She's now a midwife.

Ooh interesting! I don't blame her for pursuing an alternative career path though.

G'day Tayla

👋

Hi Tayla, welcome and this is a good place for finding fans of your favourite sitcoms. I'm not sure about finding people to roleplay with and if you had a bad experience with someone in December it might be better to just discuss the sitcoms here for a while and get to know people which might lead to roleplay and creating fanfic stories together. That's the problem with meeting new people on the internet - circumstances change and they might not be able to commit to regular collaboration which doesn't necessarily mean they are breaking off the partnership. Good luck though and I hope you find someone to bounce ideas off.

Talking of extras, I've been reading about working as an extra and if you need to be a member of Equity and it says you don't for background work but I'm pretty sure you need to be a member for a speaking part. Makes me wonder if an extra has ever been on set and offered a speaking part which they had to turn down because they're not a member of Equity.