General Election 2015 Page 38

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 17th May 2015, 11:44 PM BST

So, I'm now supposed to propose the entire programme for a multi-channel broadcaster with tens of thousands of staff? Here and now?
Is that reasonable? :)

That's the equivalent of my denying your right to criticise the Tories on the basis that you haven't published a fully costed manifesto of your own. (and no, please don't.)

In general I would suggest that they must review their programme formats. I'm not one who's against format TV in general. (Many culture snobs don't realise that all television is format TV.)
But - the formats must change once in a while. Most of their formats are at least a decade old.
Their comedy panel shows are a perfect example. But they are hardly the only such example.

Furthermore, there is a desperate need for greater variety.
I don't mind a programme on antiques. But Antiques Roadshow, Flog it, Bargain Hunt, etc, etc? Meanwhile, several celebrity and other versions of the very same?
The problem is self-evident.

For all their claims of innovation, there just isn't any. One has got rather lazy. Too much money and too little accountability.

--

Well, I don't mind people sounding like toffs. I simply mind a bunch of people who've all been to the same school at the same time running the whole country.
But I can't really see why liking Deep Purple and being posh means one's head is in the wrong place.

--

Meanwhile, just to clarify my animal rights position. Cool
As I have pointed out in another thread, I grew up in Zurich.
The local dish attributed to Zurich is rosti with chopped veal on a white sauce.
Oh, and their local Bratwurst also has veal in it. Yum, yum. :P

With respect, you could have in as many words made a decent list of ten new formats you would like, commented on whether any TV or radio stations should be ditched, advised which if any should have commercials and provided us with a list of what in your opinion are sacred cows. Plus to what extent the stinking rich should pay more for part-subscription than those on just above an average salary.

I can sing along to "Smoke On The Water" or "Take Me Out" with the best of them but I would like to see some evidence that the wonder lord in charge would even recognise "A Good Read" or "Thinking Allowed". As for comedy, have you seen his expression? I would be fascinated to know what he falls about laughing to if it isn't just digging the roads up and leaving it for a few years for others to fill in the holes. That's the thing with a smirk. You just know it comes exclusively from inner engagement.

Have you any idea what it takes to research, cost and create viable new TV programmes? I somehow suspect you don't.
It's tricky work. But it is their job. They get paid for it. Handsomely.
But because it's tricky, they prefer to sail on with what they've got.

I must say, it is a rather obvious ruse to invite a list of ten programme ideas, in order to declare them sh*t and claim this proves the genius of the existing institution. So forgive me if I don't fall for that.

But the truth is that the people on this site alone could propose a long list of sitcom ideas which could replace the creaking panel shows.

I doubt it's impossible to do the same for much of the other television programming.

Take documentaries. I'm quite tired of HD remakes about the life of penguins.
The Beeb used to be as its best when it provided documentaries which showed the personal views and insights of academics. This has pretty much stopped. I assume due to political correctness. Who'd forget what happened to Desmond Morris?
It's a while since we've heard from Adam Curtis.

But I would have thought that a left winger such as yourself would see, that continuing on with programmes which tell us how Mr and Mrs Smith are selling up in London and moving to the country, and only have a million or two to play with, while all around folks were losing their homes, was the pinnacle of bad taste. If that didn't prove that the Beeb were out of ideas, nothing did.

The truth is, they are the corporate types with the grand salaries who are advertising their supposed genius over and over in the BBC's ads. Not us.
And what they are doing for that money is simply not good enough.
Not least as it isn't as good as it has been in past years.

So perhaps someone indeed ought to make them sweat a bit.

Is your hobby typing by any chance?

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 17th May 2015, 11:44 PM BST

(and no, please don't.)

Laughing out loud

Quote: Oldrocker @ 18th May 2015, 12:42 AM BST

Not now!

I'm winning! I'm winning! :D

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 18th May 2015, 12:30 AM BST

Take documentaries. I'm quite tired of HD remakes about the life of penguins.
The Beeb used to be as its best when it provided documentaries which showed the personal views and insights of academics. This has pretty much stopped. I assume due to political correctness. Who'd forget what happened to Desmond Morris?
It's a while since we've heard from Adam Curtis.

Do you not watch much BBC Four? They broadcast a most excellent range of authored documentaries.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th May 2015, 12:53 AM BST

Do you not watch much BBC Four? They broadcast a most excellent range of authored documentaries.

Trust me, I've been trying.
And I have caught stuff on Beeb4. Though more and more I'm sulking on the news channel. It's a sort of exile.
But what we get in documentaries is hardly Bronowski and Clarke, is it?
And the Beeb would never dare broadcast a Desmond Morris these days.

Bring back Attenborough to run the Beeb, say I.
Alright, he must be 112 by now, but we need some of his spirit.
Very, very much so.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 18th May 2015, 12:49 AM BST

Not now!

I'm winning! I'm winning! :D

You will if you keep describing me as "a left winger". I'm in my own framework thanks very much. Geek

Quote: Oldrocker @ 18th May 2015, 12:42 AM BST

Btw, I do indeed like typing. I also happen to be very fast at it. ;)

But more so, much like Horseradish, I like arguing a point.
In doing so, I prefer to explore various arguments, rather than just declare myself for or against.

My preference would be to do the above in the actual sections on comedy. But few people seem to venture there. If they do, it's to tell us they just lurve the show in question. Rolling eyes

So instead I dip in here and try some Horse baiting. :)

But once again, if people would prefer me to b*gger off, then just let me know.
I don't want to be a pest. Angelic

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 18th May 2015, 1:14 AM BST

Btw, I do indeed like typing. I also happen to be very fast at it. ;)

But more so, much like Horseradish, I like arguing a point.
In doing so, I prefer to explore various arguments, rather than just declare myself for or against.

My preference would be to do the above in the actual sections on comedy. But few people seem to venture there. If they do, it's to tell us they just lurve the show in question. Rolling eyes

So instead I dip in here and try some Horse baiting. :)

But once again, if people would prefer me to b*gger off, then just let me know.
I don't want to be a pest. Angelic

No it's fine, Gus, really.

The feathers may have just landed at your toes but it was the albatross I was trying to shoot down.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th May 2015, 1:13 AM BST

You will if you keep describing me as "a left winger". I'm in my own framework thanks very much. Geek

Oh, god. Please don't tell me you're not left, you're 'progressive'.
(I hate that term.)

I also have grown rather weary of everyone nowadays saying that things have evolved beyond left and right, when so clearly they have not.

Forgive me, but your rhetoric is clearly one of the left.

You declare you prefer the Greens and the policies of the SNP to the Labour Party.
Few people would argue that not to be on the left of the political spectrum.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th May 2015, 1:17 AM BST

No it's fine, Gus, really.

The feathers may have just landed at your toes but it was the albatross I was trying to shoot down.

Feathers?
You taken to 'gatlin gun bird blasting'? Laughing out loud

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 18th May 2015, 1:21 AM BST

Oh, god. Please don't tell me you're not left, you're 'progressive'.
(I hate that term.)

I also have grown rather weary of everyone nowadays saying that things have evolved beyond left and right, when so clearly they have not.

Forgive me, but your rhetoric is clearly one of the left.

You declare you prefer the Greens and the policies of the SNP to the Labour Party.
Few people would argue that not to be on the left of the political spectrum.

Feathers?
You taken to 'gatlin gun bird blasting'? Laughing out loud

I'm in the radical tradition. Roots radi-cahl when I get bored with my white skin and short hair.

Also, I oppose SNP on Scottish independence.

And your libertarian drugs policy would probably be closer to that of the Greens than mine. :)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th May 2015, 1:28 AM BST

I'm in the radical tradition.

'Radical'? Ah yes, one of Tony Blair's favourite words in his latter years in power.

You're hardly on the radical right, are you?
So what does that leave? :P

Btw, oppose SNP on Scottish independence.

No worries. I take that as read. :)

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 18th May 2015, 1:32 AM BST

'Radical'? Ah yes, one of Tony Blair's favourite words in his latter years in power.

You're hardly on the radical right, are you?
So what does that leave? :P

No worries. I take that as read. :)

I'm goin' now as I have got to do the rest of my bins for the dust people tomorrow.

Goodnight Gussie. Wave Wave Wave

(PS You can pick up Australia before HGT starts wandering about at around 4am) Wave Wave Wave

And your libertarian drugs policy would probably be closer to that of the Greens than mine. :)

Well, I have told you before.
The left tends to be quite hardline when it come to liberties.
(In fact it was you who convinced me to vote Tory, rather than abstain.)
It stems from the left's ideological trust in the state. As the individual's liberty is diametrically opposed to that of the state, they do not, in general, warm to it.

And yes, you guessed right. I have very libertarian ideas regarding drugs. Pirate

Good night, Horseradish. Good luck with your bins in the dark.