Newsjack - Series 12 Page 12

I've just got the invite. I will be one of the commissioned writers for episode 4. Viv and Bonzo, any advice?

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 6th March 2015, 12:50 PM GMT

I've just got the invite. I will be one of the commissioned writers for episode 4. Viv and Bonzo, any advice?

Brilliant news! I think the best advice I can give you is to take short walks to Pret every couple of hours to recharge the batteries and the caffiene! With regards to the format, it was very relaxed and everyone was really friendly; you'll have a lovely time!

:D

Congratulations to everyone who has got stuff on so far.

I'm currently so far from the required standard that I've been sending the show 2 x sketches, 3 x vox, 3 x one-liners... and 1 x grovelling apology. I'm even struggling to make it to Newsjack's Deleted Items folder.

Good practice, though!

Hi,I've been following this forum for quite a while now, but never had anything to say. I still have nothing decent to contribute until now. I was lucky enough to have a one liner featured on this week's show. Of course it'll probably be the first and only time! Still, its great to finally be among the Newsjack elite :-)

Quote: Bonzo @ 4th March 2015, 10:01 PM GMT

Hi everyone

Viv and I went to the record. Here's what I can remember - its not a great recollection I'm afraid but I'll update if I think of things and feel free to ask about your sketches.

Sketches:
Insulting George Galloway
Lion king / animal memories
Astrology doctor
New president / celebrities
Crufts (ours!!)
Ukip party political broadcast
Loreal
Jihadi John and s club 7

Oneliners and viewsjacks
Madonna / steps
2 x ikea
Big babies (ours!!)
Teresa May immigration cap

..... I'll post more as I remember!

OOH...remembered another one:

Uk charts and radio 1

Another one:

Putin drops some salt.

And another:

Mary Berry and caveman - this got a big laugh!

:)

Hi Bonzo,

I noticed the L'Oreal sketch didn't make it and was wondering if it was an advert as that's what I sent- just clutching at straws really, but I don't suppose you recall?

Quote: Ponderer @ 6th March 2015, 8:39 PM GMT

Hi Bonzo,

I noticed the L'Oreal sketch didn't make it and was wondering if it was an advert as that's what I sent- just clutching at straws really, but I don't suppose you recall?

Hello, I'm really sorry but I can't remember - Viv might. Can you tell me the premise and what happens in yours, that might jog my memory. I did think that they recorded a huge number of sketches on Wednesday night and that meant a lot would be cut (including ours!).

No worries, no reason why you would remember. I've no particular reason to think it was in as I didn't get a 'recorded but cut' email. In case it jogs your memory the text is below:

1. VOICE OVER: Here at L'Oreal we are 110% committed to the accurate portrayal of mathematics in adverts. We practically invented the Laplace Transform; and wasn't Fermat's Last Theorem about eyeliner?

2. ACTRESS: L'Oreal believe in a holistic patronising approach to selling products; we would never simply imply that women are bad at maths, when we can also suggest that they can't understand science and are unable to relate to concepts more complex than eyelash texture or facial lines. Watch out; here comes the Ladyscience bit:

3. VOICE OVER: In a patriarchal society women are predominantly judged on their physical appearance; and the role of advertising is to keep women in a perpetual state of fear of losing their attraction to men which is, of course, their primary reason for existence, and the source of all their societal value.

4. ACTRESS: That's the L'Oreal equation; great hair, plus smooth skin equals a subtle reinforcement of the male-oriented status quo. <BEAT> Because that's what we're worth.

Reading it back its not very newsjacky so probably a long shot.

Hello - it was about Maths (was that the news story - sorry I didn't see it) - but it was much longer. Of course, they could have lengthened it (they did that to a sketch of ours last series). But Viv might remember more - I was probably in a state of panic most of the night hoping that our stuff would get used!

Thanks Bonzo,

Sounds like it was something else. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Well done on your success by the way, and thanks for indulging those less talented of us in our desperate search for crumbs of comfort.

Don't know what others thought but for me ep2 really found it's feet this week. Pleased they tackled the two biggest stories of the week - Putin and Jihadi John - and didn't try and duck them.

In fact my only real gripe is that there use of non-topical one-liners. Not quite sure why they do that as it detracts from the rest of the show and they feel out of place. Sure there must be enough topical one-liners from submissions to get 20-30 good ones?

Quote: StephenM @ 7th March 2015, 10:17 AM GMT

Don't know what others thought but for me ep2 really found it's feet this week.

Yes Stephen, I was going to say the same, that this was a particularly confident episode, but it occurred to me that I might be biased because I had the good fortune to get stuff onto it.

Bonzo - can you remember the premise of the astrology sketch? I don't think that made it either so would be interested in the outside chance it was mine! If it helps, I had Mystic Meg make an appearance.

I'm going to the record next week so I shall try to remember all I can and field people's queries :)

Quote: jabashe @ 7th March 2015, 11:53 AM GMT

Bonzo - can you remember the premise of the astrology sketch? I don't think that made it either so would be interested in the outside chance it was mine! If it helps, I had Mystic Meg make an appearance.

I'm going to the record next week so I shall try to remember all I can and field people's queries :)

Hi Jabashe

The astrology one had the doctor talking about star signs and recommending Russell Grant.
I'll be there too hopefully.

:)

Must admit I've not yet listened to this weeks show, but well done all who got something on (and to DeathByMonkey for the writers room invite).

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 6th March 2015, 12:50 PM GMT

Hoorah! Well deserved and about time.

Yes, I echo what Bonzo said. We're going to Wednesday's recording so if you're there we can have a chat?