The Switzerland Thread Page 16

Isn't Serena about that age too?

30s are the new 20s. OFFICIAL.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 12th September 2015, 9:43 AM BST

(I'm asking as a Federer fan - the greatest tennis player of all time)

He's good, there is no doubting that but the greatest ever? Of course, you are too young to have seen Björn Borg in his prime - very similar style, very cool as nothing ever seemed to faze him.
Some of the greatest Wimbledon matches were him and John McEnroe. Gripping stuff.

Quote: zooo @ 12th September 2015, 11:19 AM BST

Isn't Serena about that age too?

30s are the new 20s. OFFICIAL.

Yes, but you can't exactly compare these two cases. Serena's formula for success is (and always has been) built around being bigger and more powerful than all the other (more feminine built) players. She still has this advantage at the age of 34 or 35. On a good day she can keep the ralleys short by "outbombing" her opponent. She compensates her lack of technique and stamina with power and muscles.
Things would probably look a bit different if women would play best-of-five though...but I won't open this Pandora's box again, that's Hercules' job. :P

Oh god, please no!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th September 2015, 11:19 AM BST

He's good, there is no doubting that but the greatest ever? Of course, you are too young to have seen Björn Borg in his prime - very similar style, very cool as nothing ever seemed to faze him.
Some of the greatest Wimbledon matches were him and John McEnroe. Gripping stuff.

Unfortunately I am not too young to remember Borg. The first Wimbledon final I watched was the one in 1975 when Arthur Ashe won and I saw Borg winning five times in a row between 1976 and 1980. McEnroe was my top player until Federer but I had a lot of time for Borg and Connors. That was the first golden era in the professional men's game. I never expected to see a second golden era but that is exactly what we have had with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. It has been fantastic following the comparatively boring Sampras years.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 12th September 2015, 10:50 AM BST

We do have some aristocracy but Federer surely isn't blue-blooded. You're right, there is a certain graceful aura around him that's rarely seen in the sports circuit or entertainment in general. I don't know where this is coming from. His parents must have done several things right. Even if he's angry and emotional at a press conference he doesn't behave like a redneck. He makes his point clear without using abusive language.

What's even more astonishing to me is the way he handled defeats and disappointments during the last few years. He doesn't have anything to prove anymore and after years of being number one and winning big tournaments like clockwork it would have been understandable if he'd lost interest in the game after being "dethroned" by several people (Djokovic, Nadal, Murray) and sometimes even getting "humiliated" by second rate players beyond the Top 30. Lots of players would have given up but he accepted defeats and his shortcomings caused by age and tried to solve the problems by adjusting his playing style again and again. And as you see he's succeding and always bounces back after a setback.
I think he has a realistic chance of winning the US Open on Sunday. And this is remarkable considering he's 34 years old.

Very interesting.

Thank you.

Quote: zooo @ 12th September 2015, 11:51 AM BST

Oh god, please no!

:( I can take a hint. Teary

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th September 2015, 1:09 PM BST

:( I can take a hint. Teary

You will remember Maria Bueno.

Dan Maskell always rated her highly. :)

Do ours do this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AITDIzMRvF0

By the way, congrats to Martina Hingis and Leander Paes for the mixed doubles title!

Hingis is also playing in the women's doubles final.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 12th September 2015, 9:00 PM BST

By the way, congrats to Martina Hingis and Leander Paes for the mixed doubles title!

Oooh, have we a thing for Martina then? :P

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th September 2015, 10:42 PM BST

Oooh, have we a thing for Martina then? :P

Why not, she has lots of money. I've dated worse.

Go Roger, go!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th September 2015, 4:22 PM BST

Why not, she has lots of money. I've dated worse.

Slag :P

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 12th September 2015, 9:00 PM BST

Well done, Martina!

Mirza/Hingis, winners of the US Open women's doubles title 2015.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 12th September 2015, 9:43 AM BST

Genuine questions.

Do the Swiss have aristocracy?

If so, did Federer come from an aristocratic family?

It is sort of in his demeanour.

There is something about it that is not the norm.

They're all ex-Nazis who took their loot over the border.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th September 2015, 8:49 PM BST

They're all ex-Nazis who took their loot over the border.

The Swiss or just the Federer family?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th September 2015, 8:53 PM BST

The Swiss or just the Federer family?

The Swiss.