The Trip - Series 2 Page 4

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th April 2014, 1:03 AM BST

So they do much fewer Caine offs and the result is yawn inducing, naval gazing twaddle. Brydon has looked the only one interested during this series, but the more of him I see, the more egotistical and annoying he is. It's now just Brydon in front of a mirror jerking himself off and there's 3 more to go. >_<

And yet you still watch. Laughing out loud

I thought it was marvellous yet again. Slightly more melancholic than previous episodes but still very funny in places. A joy. I hope they do one of these every year until one of them keels over from gout.

"Naval gazing twaddle" just about sums it up - self indulgent naval gazing twaddle even more so!
Having Brydon shagging the nautical Sloane ranger half his age is forelorn attempt to spice it up.
Strikes me as an upmarket attempt at a more intellectual reality show ala Big Brother or I'm A Celebrity for those who like to think themselves cleverer than they probably are?

So they do much fewer Caine offs and the result is yawn inducing, naval gazing twaddle. Brydon has looked the only one interested during this series, but the more of him I see, the more egotistical and annoying he is. It's now just Brydon in front of a mirror jerking himself off and there's 3 more to go. >_<

Brydon's continual showing off with his use of the Italian language soon becomes grating!

Quote: gb901 @ 19th April 2014, 2:23 PM BST

Brydon's continual showing off with his use of the Italian language soon becomes grating!

You do know this show is mostly scripted right? You've just compared it to reality TV which is bewildering. There's a narrative these guys are following. Brydon and Coogan are over playing their less appealing characteristics i.e Rob's almost continuous showing off and Coogan's pedantic moodiness.

I get why one might not like it but it's best to understand the concept before rushing in with a half baked opinion.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 19th April 2014, 2:58 PM BST

You do know this show is mostly scripted right? You've just compared it to reality TV which is bewildering. There's a narrative these guys are following. Brydon and Coogan are over playing their less appealing characteristics i.e Rob's almost continuous showing off and Coogan's pedantic moodiness.

I get why one might not like it but it's best to understand the concept before rushing in with a half baked opinion.

Which is why I for one much enjoy much more the likes of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" with its improv element!

naval gazing twaddle.

"I see no ships"

This is perfect Friday night viewing, love it. I also love that some people don't understand the concept of actors 'playing themselves'.

There's no plot, but I find it rather hilarious as a battle of wits.

I'm enjoying it, but what was the point of having Brydon sleep with that woman? It didn't seem to have any bearing on the rest of the show.

Correct me if I'm wrong, has there been one female character on the show that hasn't been written in simply for one or both of them to drool over?
That side of it's getting a bit boring.

Quote: Nogget @ 21st April 2014, 9:13 PM BST

I'm enjoying it, but what was the point of having Brydon sleep with that woman? It didn't seem to have any bearing on the rest of the show.

The first series was centered more around Coogan and his personal demons while Brydon was a nice, easygoing but also a bit two dimensional supporting character in comparison. Now they felt the need to give Brydon's character a bit more depth...why this can only be achieved with midlife crisis driven sex with younger women is puzzling me as well.
Still, I like this series a lot so far.

I saw it as part of the fierce competitive thing between the two - Brydon showing Coogan he can pull crumpet too. It's still not enough to convince me this series is anything more than an indulgent showing off of their talents, however much they cook it up in self doubting drama and twaddle.

Quote: zooo @ 21st April 2014, 10:38 PM BST

Correct me if I'm wrong, has there been one female character on the show that hasn't been written in simply for one or both of them to drool over?

Ronni Ancona as the agent?

That side of it's getting a bit boring.

Steve's mother was in the last episode of series One. Whistling nnocently

And I'm Sure Brydon wanted a bit of her. ;)

Have you met many men, zooo? That's pretty much how we discuss women with each other.